Author Topic: Heroin use on the upsurge  (Read 5945 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Heroin use on the upsurge
« on: July 07, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/07/07/heroin-use-spikes/29788031/

From my perspective in healthcare, one reason for the surge is heroin is easier to come by and less expensive than prescription pain meds, such as Percocet or OxyContin.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zahc

• friend
Re: Heroin use on the upsurge
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 03:22:13 PM »
I heard the same thing from an Ohio police officer acquaintance. As always I wonder if more people are using or just a bad batch of drugs causing more overdoses.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 03:38:45 PM »
Huge problem in the wealthier suburbs near me.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 03:47:50 PM »
Its real bad here too. They have tightened up on pills so folks are back to smack. Different type of folks too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 03:49:22 PM »
Also does not come with liver-destroying tylenol adulterants.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 04:02:28 PM »
Also does not come with liver-destroying tylenol adulterants.

"Buy our heroin. It's gluten free, certified organic, and non-GMO!"

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 04:36:58 PM »
What really irritates me is that smack users, at least in the beginning of their habit, have less trouble finding a usable vein to use to shoot up than I do in order to get a basic blood draw.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 05:16:44 PM »
Lot of em smoke it nowadays too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 05:41:12 PM »
Its a huge problem in our part of the world.  Most of the kids we are putting in foster care have parents with severe opiate addictions, with most mixing street heroin with pharmaceutical opiate painkillers.  Far too many of the kids are born with opiates in their system.

It's not new, though.  Been going on for a few years.  In our area, opiates took the market from meth, which has fallen off due to the availability of opiates.  Makes me wonder, switch from an upper (meth) to a downer (opiates).  Something interesting about addiction there.  What I don't know..,
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »
Something interesting about addiction there.  What I don't know..,

I always wonder how many drug addicts actually NEED to be on drugs - a proper psychiatric drug regime.  As in they take the drugs because ANY state of mind is better than their unaltered one.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 06:57:25 PM »

It's not new, though.  Been going on for a few years.  In our area, opiates took the market from meth, which has fallen off due to the availability of opiates.  Makes me wonder, switch from an upper (meth) to a downer (opiates).  Something interesting about addiction there.  What I don't know..,

Think there's any corollary to the fun new laws regulating decongestants? 
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 07:36:05 PM »
I always wonder how many drug addicts actually NEED to be on drugs - a proper psychiatric drug regime.  As in they take the drugs because ANY state of mind is better than their unaltered one.

Your wondering contain much wisdom
One if the hardest things is weaning em off the street drugs long enough for the docs to have a shot at figuring out what, if any, regimen of drugs can help them find a semblance of balance. We try to get em clean a year before we let docs start dosing em up but we do make exceptions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 09:48:40 PM »
From what I've read a lot of middle/upper class folks start on the pills and when it isn't easy or convenient to get the pills they transition to smack.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 11:08:38 PM »
http://www.npr.org/2015/05/19/404184355/how-heroin-made-its-way-from-rural-mexico-to-small-town-america

Since reading this article, I have had the book on hold at my library.  I have just finished reading it and I commend it to anyone who wishes to get perspective on the current heroin and prescription opiate problem.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 11:32:08 PM »
I thing the govt should just give that out to anyone willing to take it.
Shouldn't take long to thin the herds.

Big thing here in NJ is there allowing all the cops to carry narcan to combat the od's.
I had a conversation with someone I know that works in rehab (essentially). What there not going is holding someone for at least 48 hours after dosing with the narcan. People are getting cut loose, go out get more drugs, take said drugs, don't feel the effect (because of the narcan), go get and take more drugs, OD good and proper the second time.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 11:35:48 PM »
I thing the govt should just give that out to anyone willing to take it.
Shouldn't take long to thin the herds.

Big thing here in NJ is there allowing all the cops to carry narcan to combat the od's.
I had a conversation with someone I know that works in rehab (essentially). What there not going is holding someone for at least 48 hours after dosing with the narcan. People are getting cut loose, go out get more drugs, take said drugs, don't feel the effect (because of the narcan), go get and take more drugs, OD good and proper the second time.

We call that a self solving problem

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 11:59:52 PM »
We call that a self solving problem

I hate to say it*, but I agree with you. 

*Because I don't wish death on people unless they actually DO something to seriously harm others.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 12:40:44 AM »
Darwin at work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 09:54:51 AM »
Think there's any corollary to the fun new laws regulating decongestants? 

I think that prices of bathtub meth went up because it became harder to obtain the precursor chemicals, especially the pseudoephedrine.  I live in an area where agriculture is pretty big, and the preferred method for making meth involved anhydrous ammonia, which was available on most farms.  Theft of anhydrous was common, and fairly easy (if you were willing to over look the risks from improper handling/storing the anhydrous, which is a seriously dangerous chemical).  Farmers started locking up their anhydrous tanks and reporting the thefts.  You have to show ID to buy pseudoephedrine.  Bottom line, it's now almost harder to get the raw materials for a meth cook than it is to smuggle heroin, or to steal pills.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 10:00:19 AM »

Oh, I think that this is true in many cases.  People in need to psychiatric services, especially for depression, and who either can't get the services, or won't go to the services, or just don't recognize what the issues are.  When I was younger and dumber, I didn't appreciate the impact of real clinical depression on a person.  Watching it happen to a friend who used alcohol to self-medicate, who only sought help when he found himself looking down the barrel of his Glock one night, opened my eyes.  Anti-depressants saved his life.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 10:28:29 AM »
I think that prices of bathtub meth went up because it became harder to obtain the precursor chemicals, especially the pseudoephedrine.  I live in an area where agriculture is pretty big, and the preferred method for making meth involved anhydrous ammonia, which was available on most farms.  Theft of anhydrous was common, and fairly easy (if you were willing to over look the risks from improper handling/storing the anhydrous, which is a seriously dangerous chemical).  Farmers started locking up their anhydrous tanks and reporting the thefts.  You have to show ID to buy pseudoephedrine.  Bottom line, it's now almost harder to get the raw materials for a meth cook than it is to smuggle heroin, or to steal pills.

I don't know if this is generally true elsewhere, but a friend of mine at the local prosecutor's office says that in this area (Western Washington), relatively little meth is being manufactured locally any more.  It is being produced in industrial quantities in Mexico and smuggled into the States.  I also know from my friends in local Fire/EMS/Hazmat that they don't have near the numbers of local lab explosions or cleanup that existed only a few years ago.  It has dropped way, way, down consistent with the number of labs falling.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 12:27:33 PM »
Our local meth labs are still going strong.

The wife of my FFL dealer is a pharmacist. She says the local tweakers all line up with crisp new twenty dollar bills to buy the maximum amount of psuedo like clockwork.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 02:41:10 PM »
It has dropped way, way, down consistent with the number of labs falling.

Or, as has been mentioned, they've gone 'professional' and aren't exploding as much.  They also developed mix recipes that can be done in the back of a car while driving.

I dislike it, but I think I'd rather they be doing heroin than bathtub meth.  Less dangerous for us.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Or, as has been mentioned, they've gone 'professional' and aren't exploding as much.  They also developed mix recipes that can be done in the back of a car while driving.

I dislike it, but I think I'd rather they be doing heroin than bathtub meth.  Less dangerous for us.

There's a trend around here of meth cooks in cars, but the guys are starting the cook in stolen care and then parking the car someplace...park, neighborhood, etc.  They know how long it will take, they come back and collect the product, leaving behind the crap and the car.  Nice of them to leave all that nice chemical mix for someone to find...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 02:32:15 AM »
Our local meth labs are still going strong.

The wife of my FFL dealer is a pharmacist. She says the local tweakers all line up with crisp new twenty dollar bills to buy the maximum amount of psuedo like clockwork.

Is tincture of iodine used in that process?  I think I recall that the FDA banned it a couple of years ago for that reason.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.