Author Topic: Things you usually don't find in your yard.  (Read 4942 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Things you usually don't find in your yard.
« on: August 02, 2015, 04:14:41 PM »
So I get a text from the wife yesterday.
She says there is a guinea pig in the yard. YA YA YA problably a baby ground hog or something I was thinking.
I get home and sure as *expletive deleted*it thats what is was. So I managed to catch it today with a cage trap.
Went around the hood no one is missing one or knows anything.
So it out on the patio right now in a bin.

I've given it some carrots lettuce and a bowl of water. Anything I should know to keep it alive for a few days till I find out who it belongs to.
FWI I live in NJ not Peru so they are not a native species.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

dogmush

• friend
Re: Things you usually don't find in your yard.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 04:18:47 PM »

I've given it some carrots lettuce and a bowl of water. Anything I should know to keep it alive for a few days till I find out who it belongs to.
FWI I live in NJ not Peru so they are not a native species.

That's not what TV says:

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 04:22:33 PM »
Guinia pig food is pretty cheap at the grocery store.

*shrug* food, water, don't freeze or bake, and keep the environment relatively clean (wood shavings work fine, but ceder causes cancer, so go for white pine)

You can call the local animal shelter. They should be willing to take it.

Personally, I think Guinia Pigs are cute and fun. Were I you, I'd head down to the pet store and get a nice cage (guinia pigs should have the wide, flatter cage's. If it has a second story, the ramp should be a pretty gentle slope) water bottle, food and alfalfa (they like alfalfa)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 04:53:42 PM »
Its in a big rubber maid bin right now with some newspaper.
Wife is not going to let me keep it, or bring it in the house for that matter.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
Things you usually don't find in your yard.

I thought it was gonna be Jimmy Hoffa.
"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 05:07:10 PM »
I thought it was gonna be Jimmy Hoffa.

And you now have a name for the guinea pig ...
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 05:18:15 PM »
Dogmush wins the internets and having to buy me a new keyboard. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »
You may have the beginnings of an untapped  path to riches. Getting in on the ground floor of the next big thing in ranching.

The Nature Conservancy, says rodents and other small livestock represent a low-impact meat alternative to carbon-costly beef. Miller, who is writing a book about the ecological benefits of eating unconventional meats, visited Colombia several years ago. At the time, he says, conservation groups were expressing concern about local ranchers clearing forest to provide pasture for their cattle — activity that was causing erosion and water pollution.

"They were encouraging people to switch from cattle to guinea pigs," Miller says. "Guinea pigs don't require the land that cattle do. They can be kept in backyards, or in your home. They're docile and easy to raise."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/03/12/174105739/from-pets-to-plates-why-more-people-are-eating-guinea-pigs

;)

bob

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 06:08:04 PM »
Dogmush wins the internets and having to buy me a new keyboard. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seconded!

They are tastier than they look.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 07:56:09 PM »
You may have the beginnings of an untapped  path to riches. Getting in on the ground floor of the next big thing in ranching.

Whoopee-ti-yi-yo, get along little guinea pigs ...

Need to find some little bitty branding irons  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 07:58:19 PM »

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 08:13:41 PM »
Dogmush is a bad person and should feel bad.  Bad.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 08:53:42 PM »
But I don't.   >:D

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 03:54:55 PM »
Is that guinea pig one of the Kardashians that always find themselves in front of a camera for no particular reason?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 04:04:50 PM »
I don't think the Kardashians are Italian.  =|  ;)

bob

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 04:16:26 PM »
Is that guinea pig one of the Kardashians that always find themselves in front of a camera for no particular reason?

Well, I was happy for about a minute while I couldn't remember her name. I thought it had been banished forever.

Unfortunately, given time my mind finds all the random information stashed away in there.

That's "Snooki" (I may, fortunately, have the spelling wrong and I have no desire to get it right.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:39:20 PM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 04:24:11 PM »
Its in a big rubber maid bin right now with some newspaper.
Wife is not going to let me keep it, or bring it in the house for that matter.

If it's still in that big rubber maid bin, it ought to be about medium/medium well by now.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 10:44:04 PM »
If it's still in that big rubber maid bin, it ought to be about medium/medium well by now.

stay safe.

No I brought it into the garage last night, It was 90+ today.
I've posted to some of the local facebook pages and put up a flier at the post office this morning. No one called yet.
I broke down and got it food on the way home tonight. It was only 5 bucks for prob 10 pounds. I read that they need the stuff not just veggies from the garden I've been giving it. I figure at this point I can charge a 5 dollar finders fee if someone comes forward.

A few months-mods

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 10:51:05 PM »
That bin will kill it in the heat. They need some air flow. Please don't ask how I learned this...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 11:03:24 PM »
Too late to tell you to forget the guinea pig chow.  Should have asked the produce manager at your local supermarket for the trimmings.  Those, some water it can't pee/poop in, and a very small amount of table salt (that it also cannot poop/pee in) would hold it for the short term.

You should not be the one to be posting flyers.  Some little kid's mommy and daddy should be doing that.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 12:13:33 AM »

You should not be the one to be posting flyers.  Some little kid's mommy and daddy should be doing that

Who do you think turned it loose in the first place?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 07:31:06 AM »
I don't think the Kardashians are Italian.  =|  ;)

bob

I've never seen their show (the Kardashians or that one), but based on Internet memes and grocery store checkout line covers, that appears to be the one called Snookie (I think?) from some show about NJ airheads.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 07:37:25 AM »
I've never seen their show (the Kardashians or that one), but based on Internet memes and grocery store checkout line covers, that appears to be the one called Snookie (I think?) from some show about NJ airheads.

I had an ex with a roommate who watched Jersey Shore. I think I managed to stay in the room for about five minutes. The only reason I stayed in the room that long was I was in shock that this was considered entertainment.
The "reality" show drama was bad enough, but the accents were what had me running for safety. I'd rather hear hillbilly trailer trash screech at each other than people from New Jersey.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 07:50:24 AM »
They need a vitamin drop to add to their water also.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 07:57:42 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams