Author Topic: When all you have is a hammer...  (Read 1464 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
When all you have is a hammer...
« on: April 02, 2022, 03:56:45 AM »
Clueless father tries to “dispose” bullet found in yard, accidentally shoots himself with a hammer!

While mowing the lawn in front of his newly purchased mobile home, George Fath of Pleasant Lake, Indiana found a .22 caliber bullet in his yard. Concerned for the safety of his young sons, George proceed to do something incredibly stupid.

“My hammer was outside so I took the bullet and put it on a rock and smacked it with the hammer,” Fath told reporters with Channel 15 News. “It went off and went into my belly and knocked me on my butt.”
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: When all you have is a hammer...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 06:46:40 AM »
Some years ago neighbor came up to me all worried and concerned. He found a single .45 ACP round in our common parking lot between my car and his (I had dropped it on a range trip a day or so before).

He was literally terrified that had he run over it with his car it would have exploded like a land mine and killed everyone in the general vicinity.

At least he was smart enough not to clap it with a hammer.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 07:42:50 AM »
Ten, 11, 12, something like that, we used to stuff cap pistol caps into .22 cases and pound them between rocks for a very loud report. 

We'd also take two biggish bolts (3/8 X 20?) and thread them into a nut with a bunch of caps or strike-anywhere match heads between the bolts.

Tossing them high up so they tumbled end over end, about sixty percent of the time they'd hit the pavement more or less on one of the bolt heads and make a loud report.

I'm pretty sure you can't buy strike-anywhere matches any more.

I remember in high school when I started to smoke, it was a "thing" to light your cigs by striking those matches on the upper back thigh of your dungarees (jeans, nowadays).  The term "cool" had not been used yet.

My mother noticed the strike marks and pressed me about it.  I never realized that was making marks back there until my mother showed them to me, but quick-thinking little liar me told her I had taken a fall on my bicycle and  landed in gravel.

I don't think my mother-lawyer-prosecutor-judge-jury bought it, but it shifted her concern to whether I was hurt and I said no I'm OK and found another place to be.

So I bought a Zippo like about half my friends and that's why I quit using strike-anywhere matches.

Sorry for the diversion.  And no, I'm not a re-incarnation of Jean Shepherd, who was also a ham radio operator.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 08:08:04 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 07:58:47 AM »

Yes, you can buy them almost anywhere.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 09:48:50 AM »
Ten, 11, 12, something like that, we used to stuff cap pistol caps into .22 cases and pound them between rocks for a very loud report. 

We'd also take two biggish bolts (3/8 X 20?) and thread them into a nut with a bunch of caps or strike-anywhere match heads between the bolts.

Tossing them high up so they tumbled end over end, about sixty percent of the time they'd hit the pavement more or less on one of the bolt heads and make a loud report . . .

Yeah, we did the trick with nuts and bolts and match heads too. Don't remember trying it with caps.

I recall leafing through a copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook which gave instructions for making grenades - essentially, cutting a slit in a tennis ball and filling up the void with the heads of a LOT of strike-anywhere matches. When thrown at a surface, it would supposedly explode.

Wonder how many hippies found it would explode if stuffed into a jeans pocket.  :rofl:

My theory is that "recipes" found in TAC are the reason so many hippie bomb factories blew up back in the '60s.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 11:41:27 AM »

I found some a couple of years ago, but it wasn't easy ... and the quality wasn't great.

https://www.diamonddoesitbetter.com/products/greenlight-strike-anywhere-kitchen-matches/

https://bestsurvival.org/best-strike-anywhere-matches/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 11:55:42 AM »
Yes, you can buy them almost anywhere.

I'm going from memory, so as per usual I might be wrong, but I think the formula might have changed a few decades ago. At least for the ones you can get at a regular store. I think matches like the hurricane matches are a different thing from kitchen matches.

When I was a kid, we too played with the match heads. We would get a couple hundred of them and wrap them in aluminum foil with a big nut or similar for weight, then toss them on a hard surface to make smoke bombs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 12:17:26 AM »
Terry - when I was much younger, we had a small metal toy that looked like a tiny bomb.  The dome had a twist lock that would let us put one of the old paper strip caps in it and then we would toss them up.  When they landed on a hard surface, they would (usually) go off like an old cap gun.
Of course, back then, we also had "lawn darts" (called "Jarts") that we threw in the air too but they had a 1/4" by 2" metal spike.  :laugh:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2022, 01:31:02 AM »
Terry - when I was much younger, we had a small metal toy that looked like a tiny bomb.  The dome had a twist lock that would let us put one of the old paper strip caps in it and then we would toss them up.  When they landed on a hard surface, they would (usually) go off like an old cap gun.
Of course, back then, we also had "lawn darts" (called "Jarts") that we threw in the air too but they had a 1/4" by 2" metal spike.  :laugh:

I think I remember those bombs or something like it. 

We had a couple lawn darts.  I don't remember ever actually playing a game with them.  You could throw them pretty far. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2022, 01:38:35 AM »
The guy missed a learning opportunity.  You can pull the bullet right out of the case with pliers and see how it all works.  I guess this stuff is just a big scary unknown to some people. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2022, 07:00:58 AM »
"We had a couple lawn darts.  I don't remember ever actually playing a game with them.  You could throw them pretty far."

Kid I knew growing up decided to see if he could throw a lawn dart over his house.

Things didn't end well.

For the roof or his ass.  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2022, 01:26:21 PM »
As an adult(allegedly) I did trial reloading a berdan primer with the white portion of strike anywhere match heads. Satisfactory I think, reinserted into a case it made appropriate primer noises. Never tried it under a full load.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2022, 05:44:01 PM »
The guy who hit the cartridge with a hammer - he got Congressional material written all over 'im.

The cop telling us to call law enforcement if we find a cartridge in our yard - he'd be more at home in Britain.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2022, 10:17:01 PM »
"We had a couple lawn darts.  I don't remember ever actually playing a game with them.  You could throw them pretty far."

Kid I knew growing up decided to see if he could throw a lawn dart over his house.

Things didn't end well.

I don't think I ever tried to throw it over the house.  That has bad consequences written all over it. 

We would throw them overhand since we would throw the baseball and football around.  I couldn't do underhand very well. 

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2022, 11:29:00 PM »
I had a target bow... Probably 30-40 pound pull recurve. And target arrows. When you shoot them way up in the air, on a windy day, and they start coming back toward you... Run at 90 degrees...
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2022, 08:14:20 AM »
As an adult(allegedly) I did trial reloading a berdan primer with the white portion of strike anywhere match heads. Satisfactory I think, reinserted into a case it made appropriate primer noises. Never tried it under a full load.

I suspect they're pretty corrosive, but if conditions are such that they are needed, who cares?

I had a Remmie 1858 repro for a while that I was thinking of reforming used caps for and stuffing them with "white tips."

But I learned long ago from some borrowed BP long guns that I absolutely hated cleaning BP firearms, so I never fired that gun with BP, only with .45 Colts with the conversion cylinder.

I gave that gun, along with all the accouterments  --balls, caps, patches, powder, measure, cylinder, box of .45 Cowboy loads, everything, ready to go --to a relative.

Sure wuz one purty gun:

(^ Not mine, but identical, pic credit in properties.)

( I only said "Remmie" for its irksomeness.)

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:44:33 AM by 230RN »

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2022, 02:14:07 AM »

( I only said "Remmie" for its irksomeness.)

Terry, 230RN

You don't have to work that hard.    =D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2022, 02:10:51 AM »
:rofl:

Thank you.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2022, 10:25:02 AM »

Tossing them high up so they tumbled end over end, about sixty percent of the time they'd hit the pavement more or less on one of the bolt heads and make a loud report.

Bolt bombs! I remember those from my misspent youth as well.  We used flash powder from broken down firecrackers and a paper cap. It's a wonder we survived. Definitely not how I'd do it now.

It was always a fantasy of mine as a kid to make an entire box of them and dump them out over an empty parking lot or something from an airplane.

Things didn't end well.

I fired an rake handle into a neighbor's roof as a kid.

My dad never threw anything away, scrap wood, pieces of pipe etc. And he had 1/2 of a replacement rake handle with a tapered pointy end. Because he'd needed a dowel to replace a broken tiller on a little sailboat we used on summer vacations, and that's all he could find in the small town hardware store when it broke. 

I had a surplus of Estes "D" engines, (My go-to source of BP for other stuff I won't disclose) and the rocket was destroyed, so I was launching naked engines out of a 6' length of gas pipe I found in the garage. Getting bored of watching them spin crazily in the sky, I had the bright idea of putting a D engine behind the rake handle in the pipe to make a "spear launcher". I figured the "spear" was way heavier than a paper and balsa rocket, so it would go maybe 40 yards and land in my lawn.

Nope.

It went about 250 yards in a perfect arc, over the tree line into the neighbor's yard, where I couldn't see it anymore. I quickly closed up shop and put everything away. Figuring the neighbor would scratch their head about where the pointy dowel came from in their lawn.

Nope.

Months pass, the leaves fall off the trees, and I can see the neighbor's house across the street. And there's something bright/light colored on their roof. "No way....", I think. I get my dad's binoculars, and sticking out of their roof at a jaunty angle is that damn stick.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/awkward-look-monkey-puppet
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2022, 11:08:07 AM »
A religious tale of triumph in adversity.

I used to make rockets out of segments of those clothes hanger cardboard tubes.  I used my own powder.  You could buy KNO3 at the butcher's, sulphur was easily obtained from the drug store (mice repellent and also some kind of illness palliative.)  Charcoal, well, heh.

That was before I learned that real powder was "corned," so my quality was pretty low.

Anyhow, one of the rockets went up, but then faltered, still burning, and fell into our neighbor's rain gutter which was undoubtedly full of dry leaves from our maple tree.  Oh, crap.  Smoke kept coming out of the rain gutter and I figured their house would burn down.

Our Father...

...heartily sorry...

... pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death...

It seemed like the smoke kept on forever. 

Our Father...

Hail Mary10

The smoke finally stopped. 

"Whew. Thanks, St. Anthony." My own personal patron Saint.

Next spring the owner hired me to clean out his rain gutters.  Pain in the butt.  Clean, clean, move ladder, clean, clean, but lo, there was my charred little rocket in the middle of about a three foot stretch of charred leaves.

Bless us, Lord, for we have sinned....

Do I hear an "Amen?"

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 11:57:18 AM by 230RN »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2022, 04:27:34 PM »
Gee, my dad forced me into model rockets and then proceeded to show me all the wrong stuff. D motors duct taped to old hunting arrows and launched in a piece of angle iron made dandy bottle rockets. The B motored ones even stayed on our property and could be re-used. Then there was empty motor taped to live motor, filled with black powder and launched from a fiberglass antenna pole. Don’t remember flying actual rockets.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2022, 06:08:34 PM »
Post withdrawn by the advice of my attorney.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2022, 06:54:20 PM »
I'm not posting anything about the crazy rocket stuff I did as a teenager until I check on the statute of limitations for a few things.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2022, 07:14:47 PM »
Used to LOVE building the Estes kits and flying them! I also built and flew .048 control line planes. Replace the strings with a + and a - THIN speaker wire and the control handle with a momentary contact switch and you could either mount JATO rockets to your plane OR, turn the tubes around, add fins and a nosecone to the motor(s), and have firing missiles! Even more fun to fill the nosecone with all the Black Cat firecrackers it will hold.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2022, 07:16:40 PM »
Note: The "missiles" were definitely NOT to bomb the little kids that gathered to watch us dog fight our planes with.
MOLON LABE!