Author Topic: tactical flashlight - your thoughts  (Read 2197 times)

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: tactical flashlight - your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 07:36:15 PM »
For $13, it's probably worth trying.  Buy one and let us know how it turns out.  Tongue

Preacherman

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 08:04:38 PM »
Beware of the wording of that ad!  When they say it can be 'seen from a mile away', that's meaningless - given the right atmospheric conditions and line of sight, you can see a match flame from a mile away!  They're trying to make you misinterpret the blurb as meaning that the light will illuminate something a mile away, which of course it won't.  I've learned that when an ad makes a claim like that, they're basically out to mislead you.  I'd be cautious, and go with a product whose maker talks in terms of lumens or candlepower or beam focus and effective range, rather than a useless claim like that.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 02:33:15 AM »
I haven't seen one of those, but it sounds too good to be true.  And I don't mean that in a good way.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 03:56:49 AM »
hmmmmmm  without it saying "surefire" on the product, and costing several hundred bucks, I kinda doubt that it can be really "tactical".

cool

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 05:18:18 AM »
Perhaps I should have pointed out what i found interesting.

Why would a place that sells cheap tools (some of which are quite good by the way) sell a tactical anything?

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 09:02:42 AM »
Mmmm, Harbor Frieght.  Cheap tools to match my cheap skills....
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 11:55:32 AM »
Just comparing lumens, (yeah, I know numbers can be manipulated..... undecided)   this is twice as bright as Surefire L1, or double a standard Maglight.  15 lumens approximates a 2-D cell flashlight.  After looking, though, I think I need a Surefire  L2 at 100 lumens  grin
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 12:21:21 PM »
I'm still a big fan of the 2 D Cell maglight because you can beat someone with it and they will feel it. (only if you half too) I have one in each of my vehicles by the front seat.

For pocket carry I still carry the 2 AA battery maglight, because if I loose it, of well I can buy another one pretty cheap.

Plus with all the LED bulb options you can get now the maglights pretty damn bright.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 02:33:29 PM »
I gotta agree with the "harbor freight tools + "tactical" flashlight = Huh? " thought....

personally, i have a streamlight TL-2 LED.  It's bright enough that it'll cause temporary blindness at close range.  However, it doesn't have the throw that an incandescent bulb does. 

And if i have to throw it, I've got a 6 D cell maglight i can throw.

It's the .50 cal of flashlights....

shocked
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Lee

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 02:48:11 PM »
"This tactical pocket-sized beast is used by combat soldiers, police, and special forces units. Constructed from heavy industrial aluminum. Highly durable light emitting diode delivers an extremely bright beam that can be seen one mile away. Two or three times as powerful as a Mag-Lite style flashlight that runs on four D cell batteries. Our tactical flashlight shine 100,000 hours before the bulb needs to be replaced."

The quotation marks make me nervous..."Uh.. we didn't make that claim ...they did...whoever they are."  I'm sure the Special Forces are all over that deal.  Secondly, I'm not sure that LED and Tacticool can be used in the same sentence...unless your tactic is to have 20 hours of continuous  light.   

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 03:19:19 AM »
A flashlight is the best place I know of to store dead batteries.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 09:12:10 PM »
A flashlight is the best place I know of to store dead batteries.

Why do you keep saying that?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 02:37:54 AM »
SFAIK, it's the first time I've said it.

I'm happy with my Streamlight SL-20.  Works great for coyote hunting.  Good self-defense critter, too, if a club should prove to be useful.  "Blind 'em and bonk 'em".

Smiley, Art

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 03:15:32 AM »
Flashlights and other electronic gear are devices for storing dead batteries.

Gotcha!  From SHTF, WHEN not IF.  Yes, I am on this board way too much.

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 06:08:37 AM »
I think this is the same light.  I saw it at the local Lowes on clearance for $2.50.  I need another flashlight like I need another gun ( laugh) , so I went ahead and bought it.  It's a decent little light.  The beam has some rings in it and the quality is not up to "tactical" standards*.  But it's bright, has a nice push button switch, and seems durable enough.  Probably worth $13 if you actually needed one.

*Meaning it is built like a tank, has a nylon holster, either camo or black, and expensive.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 07:43:47 PM »
Pffft.  Everyone sells Tactical Flashlights.  I want a Strategic Flashlight.   cool
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 03:52:17 AM »
fistful, if you don't lie, you don't have to remember what you said. Smiley  And how long ago was the SHTF to which you referred?  Wuz it the same context?  Allasamee people?

But ain't it true that folks buy neat stuff for hard times and then don't do periodic checks as to whether or not it works?  Chain saws, generators, flashlights?  Hey, they don't even check the oil, water and tire pressure in their cars!

People are slow learners.  If you doubt me, consider how many of the same people keep starting off-topic threads in L&Pee at THR. Cheesy

Art

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 11:03:57 AM »
And how long ago was the SHTF to which you referred? 

About one week ago.  There is a link to it in my earlier post.  I'm not trying to start an argument, I was just wondering why you said that twice in one week.  Your reason for saying it is a good one. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 09:21:41 PM »
I don't like to wade into a war, so let me just say this.

On THR I was asking about a low-priced set of electronic shooting muffs. One poster replied with a link to "similar" shooting muffs on harborfreight.com.

The ones on harborfreight were inferior. At their reduced price of $9.99, I cannot imagine them working at all.

I like Maglights that take 3 D-cell batteries. Makes me feel like Babe Ruth.

We have flashlights everywhere all over the house. If we had to buy SureFire lights to replace those we already have, I'd have to sell my house to pay for them.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 03:01:59 AM »
I don't like to wade into a war, so let me just say this.

On THR I was asking about a low-priced set of electronic shooting muffs. One poster replied with a link to "similar" shooting muffs on harborfreight.com.

The ones on harborfreight were inferior. At their reduced price of $9.99, I cannot imagine them working at all.

It might have been me that posted the link. I actually bought a set. They work OK (but not anywhere near as well as an expensive set), but I still mostly use regular muffs. I still use the HF ones now and then. The sound qualities are adequate but I don't like how they fit on my head so much.
bob

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 04:13:58 AM »
Digressing into ear muffs for shooting:  I had an old pair that were so old the foam was falling apart.  So, I found some foam and took scissors and glue and got them back as good as new.  "Hmmm, I sez," if some is good, why is not more, better?"  I added some more foam, and got another db reduction or so.  I added foam until it was against my ears.  Since that was an obvious stopping point, I did. Smiley

I guess you could add foam on the outside, covering it with duct tape.  Sound deadening is sound deadening.  Weight?  Pad the head band.  I've seen Korean women carry 55-gallon drums atop the head, half-full of water.  Even a healthy American male could deal with an extra three or four ounces.

Ugly?  Which is more important?  Saving your hearing, or looking pretty?

Art

Molon Labe

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2006, 11:55:46 PM »

personally, i have a streamlight TL-2 LED.  It's bright enough that it'll cause temporary blindness at close range.  However, it doesn't have the throw that an incandescent bulb does.
Yea, I can't stand LED flashlights.  The light they give off is horrible.  Bright, but horrible.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 03:35:16 AM »

Yea, I can't stand LED flashlights.  The light they give off is horrible.  Bright, but horrible.

I actually like the blue glow LED lights give off for the lower powered lights. I once saw one that had like 45 LEDs. It was downright bright, but I did not like the glare much.
bob