Author Topic: Zicam....Does it work?  (Read 3393 times)

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Zicam....Does it work?
« on: October 29, 2006, 06:58:32 AM »
Just wondering........

Has anyone tried this stuff in the past?  Did it help shorten the duration/severity of a cold, or is it a waste of $10 ?
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

grampster

• friend
Re: Zicam....Does it work?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 07:30:55 AM »
Started feeling a little wierd (don't be tempted here.. grin) yesterday.  Funny feeling in the throat etc.  I took Zikam every three hours all day.  I feel ok today.
I'm gonna take a few today, just to be sure.  Seems to work.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 07:31:37 AM »
My understanding is that the main active ingredient in zicam is a form of zinc and it's simply a homeopathic product. This is purportedly expected to block adhesion of the rhinovirus to local nasal receptors, prevent capsule formation around the virus (capsules make it harder to find/destroy the bug in question), as well as possibly potentiate the abilities of some antibodies in your immune system. I've looked at some studies and they are all pretty variable. None seem to suggest a lessening of degree of symptoms, but one suggested that there was a statistically significant reduction in the duration of the cold (by as much as a third).

There can be some side effects like local anaphylaxis, headache, etc.

Overall, if there is any value to the therapy it will likely be highly individualized. It will definitely have to be taken within 24 hours of the beginning of symptoms, however, for it to be effective at all (the earlier, the better). I don't really have any first hand information on that topic.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Green Lantern

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 12:01:14 PM »
Seems to work pretty good for me.  Ditto Airborne, but the stuff tastes awful.  The chewable and "redi-tab" versions of Zicam taste terrible also.  The nasal swabs seem like the best method for me - no taste, and no risk of "over-shooting" the stuff into my sinus cavities! :eek:

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 07:47:16 PM »
It works a lot better than a wreath of garlic and a gypsy woman spitting on you, and that's all I'm going to say on that subject.   grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 09:32:43 PM »
I got over my last cold using Zicam in 3 days.  I have to admit I was skeptical and did not think it would work.  The other side effect was it really zapped the symptoms, much more than junk like Day Care or Nyquil.    Asprin or Ibuprofen were the only other medications I took during the cold.

So no side affects.  No drowsiness, no chills, etc..

One of Many

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 02:48:38 PM »
I have used both the Zicam nasal spray and the nasal swab.  I have used Zicam for several years.  In my opinion, it reduces the symptoms and decreases the duration of the symptoms.  Others in my family have also used Zicam.  It is expensive, but well worth the cost as far as I am concerned.  I tend to have colds turn into sinus or bronchial infections, so knocking a cold down hard and fast means a lot to me.  I tell my friends to give it a try when they catch a cold.