Author Topic: Credit Card question  (Read 1813 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Credit Card question
« on: October 31, 2006, 03:21:57 AM »
I just received an unapplied for card in the mail. I don't WANT to open up any more credit because I'm pretty sure it will adversly affect my credit score. It says if I don't respond by such and such to activate the card it will be deactivated. Can I believe this? Anybody else have experience with this? I don't want to call the number to ask cause I think it's a trap. What do you think?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Re: Credit Card question
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 03:36:21 AM »
Just cut that sucker in half and toss it in the garbage.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 03:38:07 AM »
Sounds good to me...

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 03:50:12 AM »
You shouldn't have received a card that you did not apply for.  It is illegal for credit card companies to mail out unsolicited cards.  What you have is an invitation to apply for a card.  The card that is enclosed is supposed to be just a dummy card.

If it is an actual card that can be used, then I would contact the State Attorney General's office.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 04:30:12 AM »
This was an actual card to the best of my knowedge. I know what youmean by the dummy cards. This wasn't one of them.

OK I looked it over carefully again. It APPEARS to be a credit card but is apparently only usable with some equipment leasing service in San Diego, of which I am nowhere near. I'm not totally sure whether anyone else would accept it. I don't think so. What a wierd scam. They'll do ANYTHING to get money out of you, won't they? :sigh:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 04:37:14 AM »
They make great targets.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 04:38:57 AM »
Yea, now that I cut it in half I gots TWO targets! grin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 06:12:46 AM »
I'd probably call them.  This would include an ass chewing and threats of reporting them to the BBB in thier area.  And I'd run it throug the shredder.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 07:10:20 AM »
Did they give you a postage-paid return envelope?

If one were to stuff it full of scrap (confetti, other junk mail, etc.) and put it in the mail box, the company that sent it will be billed for the postage.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 07:42:19 AM »
I'd be leery.  Any company that sent an unsolicited credit card may soon be sending you unsolicited billing statements, which they expect you to make good on. 

"Well Mr. 280plus, if you didn't want this credit card we sent you why didn't you cancel it as soon as you received it?  Our records indicate that you've run up $8,924 charges on your new card, which hardly seems like something you'd do if you never wanted the card in the first place.  We can close your account today if that's what you want, as soon as you pay off your outstanding balance."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 07:44:46 AM »

If one were to stuff it full of scrap (confetti, other junk mail, etc.) and put it in the mail box, the company that sent it will be billed for the postage.
Old truck tires, construction debris, used motor oil, and things of that sort are usually more appreciated by their recipients.  Just fill up a box with 60 or 70lbs of your gift of choice, tape the prepaid return envelope onto the outside, and drop it off at the nearest post office.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 09:06:29 AM »
It APPEARS to be a credit card but is apparently only usable with some equipment leasing service in San Diego
These are usually cards that can only be used to purchase stuff (junk mostly) from a single source.  They usually target high-risk debtors knowing that they will take this opportunity to be able to get stuff they can't get anyway else.  In this case, I believe it may be legit but it is in no way a real credit card like Visa or MC.

Greg

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 09:33:41 AM »

Old truck tires, construction debris, used motor oil, and things of that sort are usually more appreciated by their recipients.  Just fill up a box with 60 or 70lbs of your gift of choice, tape the prepaid return envelope onto the outside, and drop it off at the nearest post office.

I thought about doing that with bricks, stones, car bumpers, etc. Try and keep just under the weight limit of the USPS

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 11:01:17 AM »
You guys are friggin' brilliant, I LOVE that idea.  laugh

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 03:24:05 AM »
Yeah, the circular file is the place for all this junk mail. 

For credit cards in general, hey, I just have one VISA card.  That's all I've needed since I first got it in 1966.  VISA doesn't like folks like me who carry no balance past the closing date.  How sad, too bad.  Scroom.

As far as credit score, all that matters is outstanding balances, income and assets.  Where credit cards can hurt somebody is if the outstanding balance keeps climbing and climbing.  But anybody that stupid oughta have a low score.  It's sort of a grade in Competence 101.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 11:42:40 AM »
I'd have to look back but IIRC they frown on having lots of open credit but not much of it used. I don;t know why.