Author Topic: Stupid, yes. Actionable, No.  (Read 2921 times)

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Stupid, yes. Actionable, No.
« on: October 31, 2006, 10:01:44 AM »
Frat Suspended Over 'Hood' Party
BALTIMORE - Johns Hopkins University has suspended the Sigma Chi fraternity because of a "Halloween in the Hood" party that drew protests by black students.

The invitation to the party, posted on the Web site Facebook, encouraged guests to wear "regional clothing from our locale" with jewelry including "bling bling ice ice, grills" and "hoochie hoops."

The party, held Saturday night at the fraternity house, featured a skeleton pirate hanging on a noose.

Black Student Union members protested the party on Monday, saying the appearance of the image and the language on the invitation highlighted racial tensions at Hopkins and the strained relations between the university and the surrounding community.

Protesters held signs showing a historical lynching next to a picture of the fraternity's skeleton.

"We need to educate the student body because apparently some people weren't given much of a proper lesson in the history of our country," said Yasmene Mumby, 20, a junior and BSU member.

University officials suspended all the fraternity's activities pending a full investigation. President William Brody said in a statement that he was "personally offended" and called the matter "deeply disturbing."

Sigma Chi's international headquarters on Monday also ordered the chapter's operations suspended for 45 days and said a full investigation was under way. It said further disciplinary action was possible.

"We are naturally very concerned about these allegations, and are committed to holding every one of our members accountable to our fraternity's values of friendship, justice and learning," Mark Anderson, executive secretary of Sigma Chi, said on the fraternity's Web site.

More than 100 students attended a campus forum Monday night before a panel of top administrators. Three men who identified themselves as Sigma Chi members stood up during the meeting and apologized for the actions of the author of the invitation, calling it shameful.

Marvin "Doc" Cheatham, president of the Baltimore branch of the NAACP, said he intends to explore legal action against both the fraternity and the university.

I still want to know what a "hoochie hoop" is.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Nightfall

• friend
Re: Stupid, yes. Actionable, No.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 10:18:42 AM »
Marvin "Doc" Cheatham, president of the Baltimore branch of the NAACP, said he intends to explore legal action against both the fraternity and the university.
Legal action? Against what? Free speech? Poor taste? Hurt feelings?  rolleyes
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 10:31:18 AM »
Our colleges need to work harder to teach tolerance.

I mean real tolerance.  What they teach today is a hate-filled pseudo-tolerance, under which anything not politically correct is evil and, well, intolerable.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 10:57:12 AM »
Hanging was the penalty for piracy. Big deal.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 11:03:34 AM »
I know, now we can't even hang PIRATES? Geezzzz...

There's just nothing fun to do anymore!

Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 11:06:06 AM »
"We need to educate the student body because apparently some people weren't given much of a proper lesson in the history of our country," said Yasmene Mumby, 20, a junior and BSU member.
That might be the stupidest part of the story.  To ignorant people like Ms. Mumby, American history begins and ends with, "Some straight, Christian white men oppressed everybody else.  Then George Bush was elected and he put a few house-slaves in his cabinet and tried to take over the whole world."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 11:32:44 AM »
That might be the stupidest part of the story.  To ignorant people like Ms. Mumby, American history begins and ends with, "Some straight, Christian white men oppressed everybody else.  Then George Bush was elected and he put a few house-slaves in his cabinet and tried to take over the whole world."

You mean there is more to history than that?Huh?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 11:37:31 AM »
I still want to know what a "hoochie hoop" is.

I think they're the overly large hoop earrings that almost touch the shoulder favored by young women trying (often too hard, and somewhat disingeneously) to promote a promiscuous and urban look.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hoochie
I promise not to duck.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 11:45:42 AM »
I think they're the overly large hoop earrings that almost touch the shoulder favored by young women trying (often too hard, and somewhat disingeneously) to promote a promiscuous and urban look.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hoochie

Yes, large hoops as worn by "Hoochie Girls". Watch some Springer, you're bound to run across one, LOL...

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 11:59:40 AM »
You'd think that with the stereotypical proclivity twoards "representing", and the potential for cat-fight violence, that oversized hoop earrings are a very poor tactical choice in jewelry.

Perhaps there's an "honor code" that prevents grabbing them?
I promise not to duck.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 12:03:41 PM »
I have about half a dozen friends who went or are going to JHU, and I can tell you one thing they all have in common, be they white, asian, or indian--they are getting the hell out of Baltimore ASAP as soon as that degree is in hand.  The city has much larger problems than one fraternity mocking the uniform of the city's drug culture.

And really, it seems like the administration is saying the best way to address a problem is to ignore it.  It's pretty obvious that having one of the nation's premier research and medical colleges in the middle of one of our poorest and most violent cities is going to result in "strained relations between the university and the surrounding community."

What's next, busting up a frat because their Cinco de Mayo fliers ask people to come in sombreros and panchos?

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 12:07:31 PM »
I wonder the Italians are not protesting this:

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 12:22:37 PM »
That might be the stupidest part of the story.  To ignorant people like Ms. Mumby, American history begins and ends with, "Some straight, Christian white men oppressed everybody else.  Then George Bush was elected and he put a few house-slaves in his cabinet and tried to take over the whole world."

Congratulations, fistful!  You've just authored my new sig line.  It fits in nicely with my Jesse Jackson persona.  Tongue

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 01:51:46 PM »
Thanks, Jesse, that's quite an honor.   cheesy

But can I get a byline there? 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 01:57:58 PM »
Oops.  Sure thing, one byline coming right up.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 01:59:07 PM »
Headless, are you a white guy?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 02:04:06 PM »
Yeah. You got a problem with my racial heritage?!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 02:09:28 PM »
No, it's the same as mine.  But it would be interesting to see how many people assume you are black, considering the avatar and the sig line.  This could be fun.

A little overboard on the byline, though.  "fistful the wise" should suffice.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 03:41:23 PM »
Kids at schools down here have caught crap for throwing the same kind of party.  UT law students were the most recent to get PC'd on, but it's happened at Baylor and few others in the past couple of years.
For entertainment purposes only.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 05:07:43 PM »

She needs to get an education before she embarks upon a career in pontification.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 05:28:17 PM »
That's no avatar, that's a mug shot! Can't quite make out how tall Jesse is, though.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 05:46:18 PM »
Does this help?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 06:33:21 PM »
She needs to get an education before she embarks upon a career in pontification.
  That is very well said.  It's funny that these dweebs are getting an education, such as it is, but all they seem to be getting is, "You better take it to the streets, or we'll all get played by the man!"  Pathetic.  She's no MLK. 

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 09:08:56 PM »
"Take to the streets" my foot! She (and *Rush* th' Reh-hev'rund a-Jahck-a-son */Rush*) want to Take to the Courts, by God, they want their piece of whitey's oppression!

~GnSx

Call me a racist enough times, and you'll make it true.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 12:22:23 AM »
Wow, Jesse is 6'6". I never knew he was so tall.