Author Topic: Horse drawn carriages in NYC could be coming to an end.  (Read 1857 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Horse drawn carriages in NYC could be coming to an end.
« on: January 06, 2014, 08:09:08 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/02/horse-drawn-carriage-ban-bill-de-blasio_n_4532093.html
Claims,
"We are going to get rid of horse carriages, period," de Blasio, who took office on Jan. 1, said at a press conference, according to CNN. He alleged the industry is a form of animal cruelty.
Interesting part,
“You've got a group of people who are being fed nonsense. The guy who's funding all this is a real estate guy,” Dave Koch, a horse carriage driver who’s been in the business 30 years, told Gothamist. “His name is [Steve Nislick, co-founder an president of NYCLASS]. He's interested in buying the land. The stables are located right by the Javits Center and they want to put hotels up in there [all sic].”

Another article. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/banning-horse-drawn-carriages-an-early-focus-for-new-yorks-new-mayor/
Indeed, when Dr. Harry Warner and several other veterinarians who specialize in the treatment of horses accepted an invitation a few years ago from owners of New York City's horse-drawn carriages to inspect their operations, they found no evidence that the animals were being mistreated.  He also rejected the notion offered by de Blasio and animal rights groups that horses were unable to adapt to modern city life.

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Horse drawn carriages in NYC could be coming to an end.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 08:31:11 PM »
"Meet the new boss. Same as worse than the old boss."

FTFY.

Apparently this guy is a full blown commie, and I'm not misusing the term as a way to name call. I heard a couple of his speeches on Fox Business. Scary stuff.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:33:20 PM »
I still don't understand the whole " I'm Mayor, and therefore can decree whatever the hell I want to be verboten"

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 08:51:22 PM »
I want that city to be bustling and full of commerce so I see less of the yellow plague here in Dallas (NY license plates are yellow).

But I also want to see that commie drive the place into the ground just for amusement.

Since I know the loons will never learn, I guess option A is best.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 09:20:01 PM »
I want that city to be bustling and full of commerce so I see less of the yellow plague here in Dallas (NY license plates are yellow).

But I also want to see that commie drive the place into the ground just for amusement.

Since I know the loons will never learn, I guess option A is best.

You don't want the same thing that happened to CO to happen to TX.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 09:35:23 PM »
Follow the money...

Meh, the horses will provide the escape from New York inmates feeder stock.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »
So it's okay to enslave people but not horses  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 09:00:41 PM »
If the ban is approved by city council, the mayor’s office plans to replace the carriages with electric vintage cars run by the same horse-drawn carriage drivers, according to CNN.

Yes, because people will line up to ride in cars they don't want to ride in on a daily basis.

As Tallpine will attest being on or around horses does something to the human soul. (for lack of a better word)   Like with dogs there's that sense of teamwork and symbiotic relationship or somehow/somewhat and to a certain extent relying on each other for life.

We don't get that too much these days as work/draft animals have been replaced by the IC engine.   And now we have these nuts jobs that don't understand that these creatures live to work.  One of my friend's dogs goes almost batshit crazy when he goes and opens his gun safe, thinking that means they are going bird hunting.  Another friend owns a horse that will sulk if not ridden at least every other day.  The more he's ridden the happier that horse is.

Anywho.   I'm guessing that the quoted carriage driver is right.  Follow the money.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 09:30:36 PM »

And now we have these nuts jobs that don't understand that these creatures live to work.  One of my friend's dogs goes almost batshit crazy when he goes and opens his gun safe, thinking that means they are going bird hunting.  Another friend owns a horse that will sulk if not ridden at least every other day.  The more he's ridden the happier that horse is.

anecdote isn't the plural of data,  but I've got two labs that loose their minds when the shotgun comes out.  They live for going to the field.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 09:45:56 PM »
anecdote isn't the plural of data,  but I've got two labs that loose their minds when the shotgun comes out.  They live for going to the field.

Same with my lab.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 07:18:35 AM »
anecdote isn't the plural of data,  but I've got two labs that loose their minds when the shotgun comes out.  They live for going to the field.

Talk to me about what a sled dog team does in june and july.  They eat their houses, dig what appears to be open pit mines, run in circles so long the build up a 2.5' high bank, then use the bank to run in circles faster, eat the #10 coffee can's their water is in, figure out how to get loose-from anything.  All from the boredom.  and when you finally do hook them up to pull something the hard part isn't getting them to pull, it's getting them to stop.

As usual it's elitist aholes that think their purse Yorkie makes them an expert on all animals.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 07:25:06 AM »
anecdote isn't the plural of data,  ...

You have it reversed. The expression is, "Data is not the plural of anecdote."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 07:31:39 AM »

So you say. That's one story.............

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 03:24:14 PM »
You don't want the same thing that happened to CO to happen to TX.

Already is. Businesses are moving here at a record pace and bringing their employees from less free states with them.  Texas will be a swing state by 2020, maybe sooner, mark my words.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 03:38:54 PM »
I did love their move to Texas campaign. If it weren't for the wife being dead against it, I'd have gone.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »
Now it's coming out a developer wants the land the stables are on... Has been drawing up pamphlets in opposition to the carriages for awhile now.  Guess who he contributed to?
I promise not to duck.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 04:47:26 PM »
Now it's coming out a developer wants the land the stables are on... Has been drawing up pamphlets in opposition to the carriages for awhile now.  Guess who he contributed to?
Could it be...Bill de Blasio? [tinfoil]
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »

dyslexia at it's best  :P