Author Topic: Oil vacs for oil changes  (Read 9601 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Oil vacs for oil changes
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2016, 09:35:13 AM »
Well damn it.

My Forester uses 5.5 quarts of oil.

I've gotten so used to having cars that use 4.5 to 4.85 (yep, 4.85) that I didn't pick up an extra quart.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2016, 12:51:28 PM »
For those that go to Costco, they have cases of Mobil 1 on sale at $10 off a few times a year. That's usually when I buy it and just store it. Though I've never seen 0wt-20 there, just 5-30 and 10-30.

The 4Runner uses 0wt-20. It's been on Toyota Care until just a few months ago, so this next go round is the first time I'll be doing it on that ride. If I decide to do it instead of taking it in. I guess to make up for having a super easy to change cabin air filter, they decided to make this the procedure for changing the oil filter just to even things out:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/116417-oil-change-5th-gen-how-lots-pics.html

I was expecting something horrible. That's pretty easy.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Oil vacs for oil changes
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2016, 03:47:54 PM »
Yeah, unless you're trying to run insane oil change intervals, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the major brand synthetic oils.  I stick with Mobil-1 mainly because it's a known quantity (been using it in all my vehicles for the last 20 years) and is available everywhere except Rooster's Walmart. :)

Chris
Heh.

Will look again at wally world but ww usually carries crap oil filters and i would likely have to make another trip.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Oil vacs for oil changes
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2016, 03:50:38 PM »
Well damn it.

My Forester uses 5.5 quarts of oil.

I've gotten so used to having cars that use 4.5 to 4.85 (yep, 4.85) that I didn't pick up an extra quart.
How much capacity has the oil vac?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2016, 05:32:55 PM »
Uh... 5 quarts.

Worked great though.

But couldn't get the damn filter off and my wrench is for full size.

Need to stop tomorrow and get a wrench.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2016, 08:09:59 PM »
I have a 2.7L 4 banger tacoma.  I always dump in 5 quarts at a change and it works great.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2016, 12:26:15 AM »
APS oil vac possessors are obligated to perform the follows experiment for the benefit of the collective:

Use the oil vac as per SOP, then pull the drain plug and see how much "missed" oil is left that drains out.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2016, 06:34:05 AM »
Even with the filter pliers I got I had one hell of a time getting the filter off. The dealership put it on during their pre-sales service, and I think they had the staff gorilla crank the damned thing down.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2016, 11:30:15 AM »
APS oil vac possessors are obligated to perform the follows experiment for the benefit of the collective:

Use the oil vac as per SOP, then pull the drain plug and see how much "missed" oil is left that drains out.
Sorry, but the Crossfire has so little ground clearance that I can't ramp it, and even if I had it in the air there is a belly shroud with a bunch of torx bolts that have to be removed to even access the drain plug. I can live happily with whatever small quantity of synthetic oil gets left behind. The oil I suck from the Mercedes 6cyl always looks like new oil anyway. At least Daimler put the hand-removable filter element canister topside front.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2016, 12:09:36 PM »
Even with the filter pliers I got I had one hell of a time getting the filter off. The dealership put it on during their pre-sales service, and I think they had the staff gorilla crank the damned thing down.

Odds are it was installed on a clean surface and they didn't oil the gasket. they have a tendency to turn to cement then.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2016, 03:37:17 PM »

Are you sure it wasn't put on by the factory?

The first filter off my Tacoma was a crumpled mess by the time I got it off.  I figure they have the industrial robot putting them on set to torque them a bit high...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2016, 06:27:16 PM »
It's a 2012.

I hope not.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Firethorn

• friend
Re:
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2016, 06:56:24 PM »
It's a 2012.

I hope not.

...I'd hope not as well.  The monkey that put it on probably didn't oil the ring.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2016, 08:07:31 PM »
I was expecting something horrible. That's pretty easy.

Let me rephrase. It's not difficult. It's time consuming. An oil change (for me) should take no more than ten minutes and just use one socket. If a spin on filter is put on properly, I should be able to unspin it with my gorilla hands. If it's an enclosed filter, the filter cap should use the same socket as the drain plug (in my ideal world).

My Trooper always took less than ten minutes. Open hood, open oil cap, crawl under vehicle (once!). Drain oil. Swap spin on filter while oil is draining. Wait an additional couple of minutes for oil to drain. Replace plug. Stand up and and add oil. Close hood. Complete.

Without a lift or other nifty setup, I will have to crawl under the 4Runner at least several times between draining oil and removing stuff, placing it carefully so I don't lose bolts and clips, then put it all back again. It'll take me at least 30 minutes. That's too much of my valuable time for an <10 minute process, and it becomes worth it for me to take it in and sit in the waiting lounge surfing the Internet and eating donuts for 45 minutes.

Even so, I'll likely try it this first go round just to time it. If my past levels of impatience are any indication though, for the next change I'll be in the Toyota hipster waiting room. Old guys got no time for nonsense.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."