Author Topic: Giffords: Primary contender?  (Read 8343 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Giffords: Primary contender?
« on: August 24, 2011, 02:57:01 PM »
http://dailycaller.com/2011/08/24/arizona-democrats-furious-at-special-ed-teacher-considering-a-run-against-giffords/

A special ed teacher is considering running against Giffords.

A question I've been meaning to ask for awhile, but it seems insensitive to ask:

Has Giffords done an interview since being shot in the brain?  If so, was the interview so tepid that the questions were slow-pitch softballs... or perhaps even more like T-ball?  Could she even perform in a debate?

I've not heard her make a speaking engagement, announcement from the House floor, or acceptance of a debate, since her attempted murder.

I wish her well in life, except for the fact that I don't think the mentally deficient have any place in Congress.

(But then again, we'd have to get rid of 544 other people up there, too...)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Giffords: Primary contender?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 03:01:33 PM »
Democrats crave symbols more than competence, e.g. our current president.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 03:13:23 PM »
Based only on what I have read in the media, I don't think she is going to have the memory, communication or cognitive skills necessary to return to Congress. 

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2011/06/09/20110609gabrielle-giffords-health-issues.html

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 03:16:37 PM »
Based only on what I have read in the media, I don't think she is going to have the memory, communication or cognitive skills necessary to return to Congress. 

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2011/06/09/20110609gabrielle-giffords-health-issues.html

That won't stop the Dems from encouraging her to run for her seat. (And then vote for her.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 03:17:21 PM »
Mak expressed my views exactly.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »

Sad, but this

Is she ready to do that?

No.

Is she close?

No.

Means she really should resign.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 03:29:37 PM »
Sad, but this

Means she really should resign.

I have read some articles suggesting that the reason for not resigning now is that she would lose her healthcare coverage, and could not afford the expensive rehab on her own.  Thus, any resignation would be after she has gained maximum recovery.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 03:50:04 PM »
Makes me sick that she returned to Congress after the shooting to vote in favor of the debt ceiling increase... given her mental incompetency.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 04:04:49 PM »
Makes me sick that she returned to Congress after the shooting to vote in favor of the debt ceiling increase... given her mental incompetency.

Democrats crave symbols more than competence, e.g. our current president.

(Yes, I know I said it before, but I like it. Succinct.)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 05:01:14 PM »
I have read some articles suggesting that the reason for not resigning now is that she would lose her healthcare coverage, and could not afford the expensive rehab on her own. 
As a duly elected official who was targeted for assassination because of the position she held, she ought to have rehab paid for regardless whether or not she remains in office.

As for remaining in office, I wish her well - I really do - but if her mental capacity is impaired, she ought not continue in office.

That she has given no interviews strongly suggests that she is no longer able to fulfill the duties of a Representative.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 05:02:39 PM »
That won't stop the Dems from encouraging her to run for her seat. (And then vote for her.)

Because if she ever loses her seat, then Loughner wins. In fact, anyone who would run against her is probably an accomplice of Loughner's, along with anyone that would refuse to denounce such a heinous act of terrorism.

Well, OK, the Democrats probably won't go that far. I'm going to guess that she won't file for re-election. Money won't be an issue, as she is far too sympathetic and high-profile a figure. People will donate, or some other way will be found.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »
I have read some articles suggesting that the reason for not resigning now is that she would lose her healthcare coverage, and could not afford the expensive rehab on her own.  Thus, any resignation would be after she has gained maximum recovery.

Um... her husband is an astronaut.

I'm fairly sure that NASA and/or the Air Force have pretty good health plans for space explorers and their dependents.

As a duly elected official who was targeted for assassination because of the position she held, she ought to have rehab paid for regardless whether or not she remains in office.

As for remaining in office, I wish her well - I really do - but if her mental capacity is impaired, she ought not continue in office.

100% agree.
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »
Money won't be an issue

But those pesky "debate" things will be.

And radio/tv interviews.
--Lysander Spooner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »
No, I mean for treatment, after she finishes the present term, without running for re-election.

I don't see her running again. It sounds like she's having a pretty tough time, so she'd have to be awfully dedicated to the political career, to keep going.

Besides, there may be opportunities for her elsewhere in the political machine, or as the head of a disability advocacy organization. Or, heaven forbid, the next gun-shot victim to head the Brady Campaign.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:44:30 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 06:05:36 PM »
Um... her husband is an astronaut.

I'm fairly sure that NASA and/or the Air Force have pretty good health plans for space explorers and their dependents.

I don't know, but I wonder if it is as good as the coverage available to members of Congress and their dependents.  I wonder if there is double-coverage here, under both plans.  Or was this considered an on-the-job injury and is being covered by some sort of Federal workers' compensation? 

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 10:51:47 AM »
Liberals love victims. They need victims.

She will always be a symbol, for them, of how guns are bad.

Whether she can do the job effectively doesn't matter.  Looking around the ranks of liberals in power in America today we see that most are disasters in action.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

P5 Guy

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »

Edward "Ted" Kennedy?
Wasn't there a big stink about aVP that had been to a shrink and had to pull out of the race.
?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 05:42:20 PM »
Edward "Ted" Kennedy?
Wasn't there a big stink about aVP that had been to a shrink and had to pull out of the race.
?

Thomas Eagleton, is my recollection.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 07:26:41 PM »
Edward "Ted" Kennedy?
?

I recall that, it was back in the '70s.  My father, always one to think "outside the box," quiped, "that might be a good thing, most politicians could probably stand to be psycoanalyzed to see if there's anything going on in their noggin's." [tinfoil] =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 07:36:53 PM »
Two words: Carolyn McCarthy. And she doesn't even have the excuse of being shot in the head to explain her stupidity.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 06:48:11 AM »

What are you basing her competency level on?
I haven't followed her enough to have an opinion.
But, not being able to speak well or having motor function problems or other physical impairment does not equate to being mentally incompetant.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »
Competency means you can vote as you're told.  Who is kidding whom?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 11:52:48 AM »
What are you basing her competency level on?
I haven't followed her enough to have an opinion.
But, not being able to speak well or having motor function problems or other physical impairment does not equate to being mentally incompetant.

OK... let me rephrase:  I have no evidence yea or nay pertaining to mental incompetency.  You're right.

But GSW to the brain has a tradition of leaving survivors with fewer mental resources than before.  Given the fact she has not done an interview, a radio announcement, or any indication that SHE has control over her vote in Congress, rather than serving as a semi-vegetative puppet for someone else's interests... it seems inappropriate for her to vote in Congress unless she can demonstrate mental competency.
--Lysander Spooner

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 01:37:09 PM »
OK... let me rephrase:  I have no evidence yea or nay pertaining to mental incompetency.  You're right.

But GSW to the brain has a tradition of leaving survivors with fewer mental resources than before.  Given the fact she has not done an interview, a radio announcement, or any indication that SHE has control over her vote in Congress, rather than serving as a semi-vegetative puppet for someone else's interests... it seems inappropriate for her to vote in Congress unless she can demonstrate mental competency.

None of the others had to demonstrate competency.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 01:41:24 PM »
None of the others had to demonstrate competency.

None of the others had been shot in the head since the voters had elected them.