Author Topic: what are your expectations for the future of us humans?  (Read 8188 times)

Chris

what are your expectations for the future of us humans?
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2005, 09:40:21 AM »
I remember as a child talking to my great-grandfather, who was born in 1898.  He used to talk about the greatness of mankind, looking at the progress that had been made in his lifetime.  He was born into a time when travel was still predominately horse, train, and boat.  He watched as cars not only became available, but essential.  He saw the invention of the aircraft, built them during WWI for the Navy, and watched as the ranges increased, jet engines were developed, and space travel became a reality.  The adding machine on his desk he used to run his contracting business became smaller and electric, then smaller still.  Telephones in every household, without an operator.  Large radios became smaller transistor radios, and huge televisions with tiny black-and-white screens became smaller consoles with bigger screens, and actually had color.  I can't help but to think how he'd be absolutely blown away if he could just see what I wear on my belt every day, the cell phone, the data organizer, the plastic gun in the plastic holster.

And, while it may be less obvious to us, stop and look at the developments in the last few years.  My wife and I got a P.C. for our home back in 1998.  It was amazing, with 8 gigs of hard drive space, and we knew we'd never fill it up, but it was nice to have.  We marveled at how fast our dial-up internet service was.  We hoped to save up money for a digital camera.  Here we are seven years later.  Our current home P.C. has 80 gigs of hard drive space, the wife's work laptop a mere 20 gigs.  I have a thumb drive in my pocket with 512 megs of space, which replaced the 3.5 inch discs I used to use to haul 1.4 megs of data back and forth from home to work.  Our dial-up service drives us crazy, because we're both used to T-1 internet access at work.  And, we turned down free digital cameras with credit card offers and such on a frequent basis.  Think of the batteries.  Back in 1194, when I started work, I kept a Mini-Mag light in my briefcase for use at crime scenes.  Now, I've got an even brighter LED on my keychain I use instead.  Mankind is experiancing technological leaps all around us, and we barely notice what's going on.

The future of mankind depends on a few things, though.  
1.  Interspace travel.  We need to get off of this rock and see what else is out there.  Forget Star Trek, aliens and such.  I mean resources, materials for use in manufacture and possibly even hospitable environmenst in which to work/live.  
2.  Medicine.  Yes, humans are living far longer than ever before in history.  However, things like AIDS, the Avian Flu, SARs, and unknown Ebola type viruses have the potential to bring humankind to its knees if a pandemeic incident were to occur.  
3.  Peace.  I know that war has spurred on great leaps in technology, but unless resources are devoted to peaceful developments, these leaps in technology will be stalled, if not outright killed by the need for better weapons.  Another full World War could set progress back greatly.
4.  Freedom.  Government funding may have helped many advances, but government controll hasn't.  It's the free man (or woman) working in freedom, without concerns of goals, deadlines, and such that make the greatest discoveries.  And that only happens in a free world.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2005, 10:43:15 AM »
animals usually get a mass extiction every 100,000 years or so. but, seeing as how we're destroying our planet, maybe we've got 10K years, then there'll be a planet with giant rusting machines and buildings collapsing, with everything dead save for some hardy trees, plants, bacteria...

~TMM

Pb

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2005, 11:37:22 AM »
As previously mentioned, oil can be manufactured from almost any organic garbage.  It just isn't terribly cost effective right now.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2005, 11:44:37 AM »
Humanity will continue as it always has. We will adapt and overcome. Doom and gloom has been preached and taught since humans evolved into self-aware beings. Yet somehow or another we manage to continue.
 By the time this planet is near the point of being used up we will have colonized others to make up for it.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2005, 12:34:47 PM »
So to recap the bulk of the comments- "don't worry, we'll figure something out". Hmmm...... those have been famous last words more times than I can count.   I'd probably be happier if I was an uncurable optimist but somehow that gene got erased. Maybe by reading too much history. I don't really think the "end of the world" is comeing, just wondering what the restructured society will look like. I really do not think in 20 years we will be living just like today except for the hydrogen powered cars we will all be driving.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2005, 02:00:04 PM »
Asimov wrote another good book, "A Choice of Catastrophes"   Very interesting.  He covers pretty much all the bases for how we'll maybe go, including the problems if we don't.  Then there's Dixie Lee Ray's book (I've mentioned before) "Trashing the Planet" in which that fine lady debunks most of the ecowhackjob mythology regarding how we are destroying the planet.

Tokugawa,
Try being a pessimist like me.  It's really great because one is continually being proved right or pleasantly surprised.

The best we can all do is live for today.  Contribute what you can, when you can.  Encourage those who have a talent,  to exploit it.  Wake up each day expecting to be surprised.  Take a Leftist to lunch.  (just kiddin)
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Justin

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2005, 07:33:01 PM »
Malthus was wrong.
This should be tagged on the wall of a campus building at every university in the nation.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2005, 07:43:31 PM »
In the course of my lifetime, I fully expect to see a biotech revolution that will be just as concept-shattering as the agricultural, industrial, and computer revolutions combined.

Unless luddite biotech bigots get their way, the Transhuman revolution will have the ability to change humanity in ways unimaginable to us today.  Custom-made disease cures, better, heartier foods, longer life spans, etc.

Certainly there will be problems and controversy; the current flap over embryonic stem cells is a perfect example, but in the end, as with any such revolution, the good will far outweigh the bad.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2005, 05:00:53 AM »
If you take time to read up on peak oil theories, take similar amounts of time to read up on adiabatic oil.  Google out why it is oil reserves in different areas of the world are refilling.  Theory A> deep reserves are refilling shallow pools, or Theory B> oil is not the product of grass clippings, dead possums, heat and time (grandly simplified description).  It is instead produced by some yet unknown geological process deep in the earth's structure.  Investigate oil source operating theories of the west and contast those with Russia's operating theories.  Try to find out why it is key Arab oil suppliers are looking to Russia for answers and toward the west.  In short, don't assume peak oil is a lead pipe cinch.

Also spend a little time reading teaching primers written by key free market economists.  Walter Williams is reputable.  Thomas Sowell is more of a philosopher but bleeds over to economics periodically.  Economic history is good for the psychie.  It shows how many times in the past civilization has pulled up short of the wall and survived just fine.  Why, even in my short life I can cite clear examples of technology shift and how corporations adapted or failed to adapt.  Swiss watch movements and slide rules are instructive of how a technology shift has profound business implications.

I get pessimistic also, but my pessimism is based in my fear that government will bigfoot innovation and suppress economic adaptation.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2006, 05:09:56 PM »
Well, I just finished "Collapse". A really good book, well laidout and researched. The basic point is no way are all the burgeoning numbers of people in this world going to be able to achieve and sustain a first world life style, even if we had zero population growth today.  We just do not have the resources.  This guy hit a lot of points that I have been thinking about for years.
  Do not get me wrong, I do  appreciate the wonders of the free market. Unfortunately, there is a limit to the planet.  I was reading somewhere that some futurists figured humans have one shot at getting off the planet, after a certain amount of time we will have used up the resources it would take to make the jump. It was erily reminiscent of Diamonds story of the easter islanders deforesting thier home so they no longer had the option of building canoes to leave...

Justin

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2006, 07:11:04 PM »
Sounds like you're talking about the Uldovai (sp) Theory.

If humanity only has one shot, then I'll put my money with Richard Branson and Burt Rutan.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2006, 03:38:17 AM »
Heh,,,anyone else glued to the Twighlight Zone marathon this weekend?

One of the episodes theorized that the Earth would eventually spiral into the Sun. But at the last minute reverted it to the Earth spiraling AWAY from the Sun.

ME? I figure if nothing else catastrophic happens first the Sun will eventually decay into a Red Giant and the Earth will be consumed in the process.  

Oh and global warming? The Earths rotation contains a certain degree of precession which causes it to cycle from cold to warm over the millenia. We're simply on the way up from the last ice age to the peak of the latest warming part of the cycle. IIRC 360* of precession for the Earth is 60,000 years. The last ice age was ~12,000 years ago. We've got ~ 18,000 years of warming left before it starts trending the other way. Something like that anyways. Don't hold me to any exact numbers. So get the sunscreen out...

Or we could just BE spiraling slowly into the Sun... shocked

AW c'mon, this thread needed a little doom and gloom. It was way out of balance.

Tongue

LOL...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2006, 06:04:50 AM »
If it's any consalation, I DO believe the human race will have adapted to all this and by the time the Earth is destroyed we will have moved out into the universe and colonized other planets...

Ahhh, a warm fuzzy ending after all.

Cheesy

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2006, 06:10:10 AM »
We either figure out how to stop an asteroid strike
or we die

We figure out how to keep the ice walls from returning,
or we reacquaint ourselves with subsistence survival
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2006, 05:14:20 PM »
Actually, my nightmare is every single inch of cultivatable land being used for subsistance farming, people every where, no clean water, no gas, every tree gone for firewood, a super rich elite harvesting the poor for organs, constant low intensity warfare over resources, etc.  I have finally come to the acceptance that a real full fledged pandemic killing about 9/10 of the world population is probably the best thing that could happen the human race. It would buy us time to regroup before we totally use up our resources. How's that for a cheery thought?

matis

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2006, 05:56:50 PM »
Quote from: tokugawa
I have finally come to the acceptance that a real full fledged pandemic killing about 9/10 of the world population is probably the best thing that could happen the human race. It would buy us time to regroup before we totally use up our resources.
Hey Tokugawa,

I couldn't help noticing by your word choice that YOU don't plan to succumb to this pandemic.  

Do all over-population theorists feel the need to kill off most of the human race (except themselves)?

Just wondering.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2006, 04:04:14 AM »
Let's face it. We're all doomed.

Have a nice day!

Cheesy

Justin

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2006, 10:50:02 AM »
Quote from: tokugawa
Actually, my nightmare is every single inch of cultivatable land being used for subsistance farming, people every where, no clean water, no gas, every tree gone for firewood, a super rich elite harvesting the poor for organs, constant low intensity warfare over resources, etc.  I have finally come to the acceptance that a real full fledged pandemic killing about 9/10 of the world population is probably the best thing that could happen the human race. It would buy us time to regroup before we totally use up our resources. How's that for a cheery thought?
Give me a sec while  I feather out my mullet, put Oingo Boingo on the stereo, pop the tab on a can of Coke II, and strap on my L.A. Gear sneakers.

Ok.

Now what were you saying?  Something about how Weyland Yutani, The Tyrell Corporation,  Omni Consumer Products, and Tessier-Ashpool S.A. were going to take over the world?

Seriously.  Thanks for the 80's cyberpunk flashback.

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2006, 12:35:21 PM »
Actually, the "us", was generic, I personally would try to survive a bad pandemic , but do not nessesarily expect to.  

So a question for all- has the increase in the population where you live added to your quality of life?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2006, 12:55:49 PM »
No.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Chris

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2006, 06:28:20 AM »
The increase in population in my locale has both increased and diminished my quality of life.  With more people came more retail establishments, restaurants, etc.  At the same time, it has increased my work load (more people = more crime) , yet the powers that be don't recognize that there is a real need for an increase in staff around here, or even pay raises to compensate for teh increased number of hours being worked.

Strings

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2006, 03:59:34 PM »
ok, I'm appearantly the only person who caught this one:
>Back in 1194, when I started work, I kept a Mini-Mag light in my briefcase for use at crime scenes<

Man, I didn't think you were THAT old! Ain't you a bit past retirement? Tongue

I honestly think we'll (eventually) adapt...

grampster

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2006, 05:26:43 PM »
Heh, I saw that too.  The Mini-Mag was not invented till 1254, so I'm a bit suspicious....

IndianaDean

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2006, 12:09:16 AM »
Hi folks. I'm new. Waitone beat me to it. Read the book "Black Gold Stranglehold" byt Jerome R. Corsi and Craig R. Smith.

Oil is not a fossil fuel, and we're not running out of it.

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2006, 12:58:45 AM »
Hope, defined:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/emergingtech/index.php?p=129

If not this, some other high-tech answer.  The world (galaxy?) will get weird as hell, but that's the best we can hope for.