Author Topic: DoD to Restrict Cell Phone Use on Military Bases  (Read 3008 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
DoD to Restrict Cell Phone Use on Military Bases
« on: January 09, 2006, 10:32:52 AM »
Story Number: NNS060106-05
Release Date: 1/6/2006 3:29:00 PM

By Army Sgt. Sara Wood, American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- Defense Department installations have begun implementing new cell phone restrictions for drivers on military bases.

The new regulation, published in the Federal Register in April 2005, states that anyone driving a motor vehicle on a DoD installation cannot use a cell phone unless the vehicle is safely parked or the driver is using a hands-free device.

Many installations already have implemented the new restrictions, and the rest will implement the rules on their own schedule, said John Seibert, assistant for safety, health and fire protection for DoD. There is no deadline for installations to implement the restrictions, Seibert said, but he expects most will do so this year.

"We have not issued an implementation schedule," he said. "But it's definitely getting everyone's attention."

The law enforcement policy offices for each military department are putting together policies and procedures for the implementation and enforcement of the restrictions, Seibert said. He explained that this regulation is a minimum requirement, and installation commanders still have the authority to put stricter rules in place. Each installation will determine the punishment for violation of the rules, he said.

As the installations implement the restrictions, they have a responsibility to notify the public by putting up signs or putting notices in base newspapers, Seibert said. Many installations are allowing a grace period in which motorists in violation of the rule will be warned and not ticketed.

This regulation was developed based on information from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which studied driving distractions as the cause of motor vehicle accidents, Seibert said. The study found that cell phone use is the fastest growing and most visible distraction that leads to accidents, he said.

The DoD regulation follows suit with many regulations that states and cities have already imposed. Currently only Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and the District of Columbia ban hand-held cell phones for drivers, but many cities have imposed their own rules, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association.

"We are in front of the majority, but we certainly are not the first ones to do this," Seibert said.

This cell phone regulation will increase traffic safety on installations, Seibert said, but more importantly, it will encourage safe driving habits.

"Our intent is that this will drive an increased attention to the importance of safe driving and that we'll see a change in driving behavior, both on military installations and off," he said.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 10:47:07 AM »
We have been doing that here for the last 6 months.   Hands free use is the only way to use your cell while driving.  If you don't have hands free capability, pull over and talk.  

So far it has helped.  Keeps the head out of the cockpit so to speak (pilot talk).

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 12:21:31 PM »
Yea, here in CT it started October 2005. I still see people yakkin' on the phone though.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 12:45:44 PM »
The boss's policy is if you see them yakking on the phone while driving then get the license plate # and call the LE desk.  They will follow up with the 1st Shirt.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 12:53:26 PM »
It's been in effect for a while. I've already gotten a ticket on Patrick AFB for not being hands-free when using my cell phone. My bad, I was in the parking lot of my squadron, getting ready to leave when it rang.  The ticket's good for 3 points against your military base driving privileges, out of a total of 12 points.  

The proposed rule would also have banned cell phones with camera capability when driving near restricted facilities on military installations.  Dunno how they would've enforced that one, though.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 12:59:22 PM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
The proposed rule would also have banned cell phones with camera capability when driving near restricted facilities on military installations.  Dunno how they would've enforced that one, though.
What are they going to do when no venders offer camera-free phones?  It's getting tough to find a decent phone without a camera.  

Yeah, I know, they'll just ban them outright, but it's rediculous that you can't get a phone that doesn't have half a dozen non-phone functions (really, who needs a video camera in a phone?).

Chris

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 03:26:15 PM »
Isn't the speed limit on most bases like 30mph? How much trouble can you get into at 30MPH? I mean, really; if you can't control your vehicle at 30mph, regardless of distractions, you really shouldn't be driving.
Nanny strikes again!

esheato

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 03:42:37 PM »
Beale implemented it, I think, last month. I still drive and talk.

Not sure of the punishment, but then again I'm not planning on getting caught.

The thing that gets on my nerves is the reduction of the speed limit in the housing area to 15 mph. I pity the folks that live in the very back of housing.

Ed

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 04:28:59 PM »
I understand the 15 mph speed limit in base housing very well.  Lots of families, kids, pets, and so forth in a very congested neighborhood.  The last c*#@sucker that did 60 mph in a new Mustang through my part of base housing left some very long skid marks after a glow-in-the-dark basketball rolled out in front of her.  She was pissed, but not as pissed as the base cop who measured the length of the skid marks and cited her.  Next time, I'll use an empty baby stroller. Cheesy
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 04:43:20 PM »
Alot of trouble when your stuck with bluehairs driving around.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 05:17:12 PM »
Next time, I'll use an empty baby stroller
Pure, concentrated evil.  I like it. Smiley

Chris

Old Dog

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 06:12:04 AM »
Seems like every knucklehead up here driving through the pouring down rain at 60 mph on the local highways when there's almost zero visibility is STILL holding with a death grip a cell phone to her (yeah, usually it seems to be a woman) or his ear ...

I just found out the other day about the no-cellphone while driving on base thing ... having been on terminal leave/PTDY the last few months, seems I missed the news.

We've had the no camera cell phone regulation on parts of our bases up here for a while (in the shipyard and on the sub base's lower base).
-- Will

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 11:59:28 AM »
Quote from: Old Dog
Seems like every knucklehead up here driving through the pouring down rain at 60 mph on the local highways when there's almost zero visibility is STILL holding with a death grip a cell phone to her (yeah, usually it seems to be a woman) or his ear ...
So true.