Author Topic: Music and Memories  (Read 2849 times)

Waitone

• friend
Music and Memories
« on: January 09, 2006, 07:26:06 PM »
I sit here at my computer listening to "Won't be Fooled Again" by The Who.  Memories are flooding back of where I was and what I was doing at that time.

What music do you connect to your history?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Music and Memories
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 07:56:14 PM »
This one could get interesting.

There are a couple of Hank Williams Jr tunes that I was acting out when I heard them. Like whiskey bent and hell bound.

grampster

• friend
Music and Memories
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 08:04:48 PM »
"My Girl".   I get misty eyed every time I hear that tune.  That song belongs to swmbo and I.  Until our hips locked up and our knees failed, we used to dance "The Soc" (sosh) to that tune.  Timeless music.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Preacherman

Music and Memories
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 10:43:55 PM »
Oooooh, yes...  music is very strongly linked to my memories.

Some of it is joyful.  The music that was playing when I met my fiancee;  the music that has moved me to tears with its beauty;  music that reminds me of beautiful landscapes, or events in my life.

Some of it is sad.  The music I played the night my fiancee was killed, trying to find some sort of solace (I drank an entire bottle of brandy and remained stone cold sober!).  Music that reminds me of friends who died in South Africa's long and bloody conflict.

I use music as an emotional "tool", if you will.  If I want to remember things, or think about things, I'll put on some appropriate music and let it flood over me.  Other times, if I just want to think, or pray, or something like that, I'll use "mood music" to help me.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Music and Memories
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 11:14:26 PM »
Same here.

Saxon, Y&T, Judas Priest = Mid/Late 80s college years, romance and engagement.

Deee-Lite, Rush, Enigma = Early 90s "Crazy Years" of long hours at work, little sleep, failed marriage, death of a parent.

Lorrena McKinnet, Depeche Mode, NIN, Lords of Acid = Mid/Late 90s coming out of the Crazy Years into the  roller-coaster years of the Bloodmines, bar hopping, serial monogamy.

DJ Doughboy, Astral Projection, Trance in general = The OOs, Escape from the Bloodmines, mid-life.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Music and Memories
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 11:33:19 PM »
Ah yes.  Late '80s, streetracing motorcycles in the Santa Cruz mountains, Joe Satriani cranked in both ears under the helmet Smiley.

Blasting across the Mohave desert up past 140 somewhere (damned if I know how far, speedo cable parted ways at 125) with KMFDM at full gonzo Cheesy.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Music and Memories
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 03:06:42 AM »
Yes...
"The Joker" reminds me of Diana, "Into the Mystic" reminds me of what's her name uhhhh...Oh Annie and the only other one I can think of right now is this old Heart tune off the first album that had a really long title that I can't remember reminds me of this island girl named Chat. But you NEVER hear that tune anymore...

Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Old Dog

Music and Memories
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 06:06:58 AM »
Seems as though the soundtrack of my earlier school years was mostly Elton John ... (freakin' '70s, couldn't get away from it on the radio) ... growing up as a white boy in the Detroit area, of course, Bob Seger was huge, awesome in his early live concerts ... the part in "Night Moves" where he mentions Southern Michigan summertime takes me back every time.  Soundtrack to my college days, when I wasn't involved in football I was hanging out in bars, was the Eagles ...

Mostly listened to lot to Led Zeppelin, Who, Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skyrnyrd, MC-5, CCR, Blue Oyster Cult in my high school and college days ... too many dorm rooms, bong hits and Budweiser or Stroh's, too many barrooms with floors covered by peanut shells or sawdust ...

Soundtrack to my early Navy days was definitely the Scorpions ... Blackout, Rock You Like a Hurricane ... anyone who spent time in Subic Bay in the early '80s would remember how you constantly heard the Scorpions blasting in all the clubs when live music wasn't playing (or renditions of their music by the Filipino band in places like the Sierra Club) ...
-- Will

Dannyboy

• friend
Music and Memories
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 06:15:20 AM »
Wow.  Lots of memories connected to music in one way or another but a couple stand out.  I remember reading The Stand shortly after getting the Zepplin 4 (or whatever it's called) CD, so when I hear anything from that disc I automatically think of one of the worst books I have ever read.  The other is from when I was in the Army.  I was at White Sands, getting ready for my promotion board.  I was so nervous, I was sweating and pacing and couldn't think straight.  My section chief went back to the barracks and got my Walkman for me.  Who knew Slayer could be so soothing.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

onions!

Music and Memories
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 06:28:18 AM »
Early Chicago.Those horns just want to dance & sing.Music from the early seventies takes me back to a happier time.

Pink Floyd's albums Wish You Were Here & Darkside of the Moon are what I reach for in the moody darkness of my heart.

IIRC,Fleetwood Macs' Rumors album is still on the turntable.That one is still awesome!

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
Music and Memories
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 06:50:02 AM »
Moody Blues "Nights in While Satin" brings back a certain 8th grade dance....  ELP brings back partying on Okinawa while in the Marines...
Brian
<><
:)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Music and Memories
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 09:00:56 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Yes...
"The Joker" reminds me of Diana, "Into the Mystic" reminds me of what's her name uhhhh...Oh Annie and the only other one I can think of right now is this old Heart tune off the first album that had a really long title that I can't remember reminds me of this island girl named Chat. But you NEVER hear that tune anymore...

;)
280, it's off of Dreamboat Annie-- "(Love Me Like Music) I'll Be Your Song".  One of the most "musical" and fun to play (on guitar) and sing-- just a sweeeet tune.  'These have been quiet days, when was the last time I wanted to sing?...'

SEE? Now you've got ME doing it...
Drift Away was my first slow dance,
Bob Marley's "Is this Love" was my oldest daughter's favorite song as a toddler ('cause I'd be so animated as I sang along); She was born with Kenny Loggins' Return to Pooh Corner disc playing-- I've ALWAYS loved Kenny Loggins!  
His essential album is "Leap of Faith"-- surprisingly, a couple of real jams and lots of jazz influence on that one!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000273U/fanasylum/103-8279474-4391822

Lots of '70's metal, funk, now smooth jazz like Norman Brown, Everette Harp, and of course Kenny Loggins.
And the holy trinity of folk rock: Crosby Stills & Nash. (and sometimes Young) -- heavenly harmonies.

Oh! GREAT Story Re: Kenny Loggins' Leap of Faith: When that disc came out, he was interviewed by a ditzy blonde national morning show host (not Couric, someone else) who asked how he would describe the music on this album.  Without missing a beat, Kenny said "Simple-- this is music that is intended to make and enjoy children by"!
She paused a moment, turned 6 shades of purple, and said "we'll be right back after these messages".
HILARIOUS!

280plus

• friend
Music and Memories
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 10:47:09 AM »
Soundtrack to my early Navy days was definitely the Scorpions ... Blackout, Rock You Like a Hurricane ... anyone who spent time in Subic Bay in the early '80s would remember how you constantly heard the Scorpions blasting in all the clubs when live music wasn't playing (or renditions of their music by the Filipino band in places like the Sierra Club) ...
Heh, mid to late 70's it was Boston and Skynyrd. And there was this one club on the left that had some guys doing CSNY the last hour or so before curfew.

280, it's off of Dreamboat Annie-- "(Love Me Like Music) I'll Be Your Song".  One of the most "musical" and fun to play (on guitar) and sing-- just a sweeeet tune.
FF hits the nail on the head. I still have the vinyl but alas, nothing to play it on. A good turntable is one of those back burner items on the wish list. I suppose I could get all this stuff online now, couldn't I.

That's on another back burner somewhere else. Tongue

Quite incidentally, Chat was one of the best girls in Olongapo. I still have a picture of her somewhere. Filipino hippy girl. Wink

Waitone

• friend
Music and Memories
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 03:54:27 PM »
The Doors--anything played during the Vietnam protests
Emerson Lake and Palmer's "Tarkus" drum solo
Pink Floyd
Carlos Santana--he was good long before he got good
Blood Sweat and Tears
Crosby Stills Nash and Young
Lead Zepplin
Three Dog Night
Rolling Stones
21st Century Schitzoid Man
Woodstock
Janice Joplin's mink coat and bottle of Jack Daniels
Sha Nah Naa
Joe Cocker
Marvin Gay and Tammy Tyrell "Heard it through the grape vine" at 4 o'clock in the morning on WCOS while throwing papers

Oh the memories.  Gotta quit now, emotional overload.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Music and Memories
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 06:24:53 PM »
Oh my yes! Memories are flooding for sure!

Waitone's list for sure!

Add:

Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Who
Guess Who
Jimi Hendrix
Steppenwolf
Grand Funk Railroad
Cream
Eric Clapton
Allman Bros Band
ZZ TOP
Eagles
Rolling Stones

Jimmy Buffett
James Taylor

Robert Johnson
Bonnie Raiit.
Stevie Ray Vaugh
Muddy Waters
BB King

Willie Nelson
Waylon Jennings
Hank Williams
Hank Williams Jr.

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band.

This has to be "it" for me.  

"Turn the Page"

- this is one song that gets into my very being.  I have been on the skeet field, live pigeon shoot, on the road in another life I did - felt the eyes and wanted to explode, have had the driver's  side rear window explode from me being shot at...

Eagles "Desperado" is another "it fits you Steve", "Seven Bridges Road" is another.

Various genre , many hold so many memories...

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Music and Memories
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 06:50:02 PM »
Seven Bridges Road is probably the greatest singalong ever written.

Smoke

Music and Memories
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 04:53:07 PM »
Every girl I ever knew has a song attached to her memory.  Some songs were what I might have been listening to at the time we were dating, first met, first kissed, first...well, you know.

Angel Eyes, Jeff Healey Band - Diane
Drop Dead Legs, Van Halen - Laura #1
Bryan Adams songs - Tammy
Hot Blue and Righteous, ZZTop - Laurie
Last Child, Aerosmith - Laura #2

ANy SRV - my wife.

grampster

• friend
Music and Memories
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 06:21:57 PM »
Man, lookin' over the above list of tunes and groups and artists...lotta good music there, especially waitone and sm's list.  You guys are almost forcing me to go out and buy another receiver and turntable and speakers (lord, I need em all, been playing cd's on swmbo's Bose Wave Machine), I gave all my 'quipment to my youngest child who handed 'em over to my brother.  I've got two big tubs of albums in the basement that contain nearly all of the above tunes.  I've got a major yearn comin' on.  You guys are major bad!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Art Eatman

• friend
Music and Memories
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 07:01:58 AM »
He-he!  You get my age, and any listing would overload the server!

Lots of songs from 60+ years back, and I don't recall the artists.

We were younger, then:  Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Hank Sr., Roy Acuff.  Peggy Lee, Fats Domino, Elvis, The Beatles...

The Stones, CCR, CSNY.

Local CenTex stuff:  Joe Ely, Allen Damron, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Fromholz.  Willie, from the '70s on.

I find most of today's music pretty boring.  More noise than signal.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Music and Memories
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 07:59:01 AM »
Dean Martin.
Not really slow dancing, just snuggling while standing.

David Allan Coe,
Sallisaw, OK. Some honky tonk, double date. Mine was the fiesty daughter of a Rancher, seems oil was found on property. Grandaddy fired off a round the first time a black car started up the road "thought they be Revenuer's".
Needless to say once oil found, beans and cornbread were still eaten - by choice - not because too poor to eat anything else.
My date like I said  was fiesty, brunette with coal black eyes. The other couple - that idiot feller wore a Pink Oxford shirt her GF almost shot him when we picked him up in Orange Challenger, 340 six pack.

We survive the show, headed out to the gravel lot, and here comes a couple of fellers wanting to pick on Pink Shirt- his date shoved him toward them..."take 'em, have fun"..., one fella pulls a knife the other a small auto handgun " you ladies gonna come back to the trailer with us" -that beer bottle busting was me , just happened to be one in my back pocket,it found  someone's truck bumper, My date is at low ready with Combat Commander, her GF with a J Frame, Pink Shirt is scared.

Fella's decided the ladies a bit too much to handle, Pink shirt not their type.  We dump him off, head back to the ranch, and listen to Jerry Jeff Walker.

Respect, I mean a fella does not interupt ladies wanting to target practice, 'sides I was not thru with my  beer, heck I'd just cracked the top on it.  I was drinking. My date knew I had my Combat Commander - in fact except for stocks they matched.

Date was the desigated driver and shooter, her GF her  backup, my job was to ride shotgun and drink.

Next morning, her daddy kicks my foot hanging over the couch, hands me 2 finger of coffee in Jack Daniels.

Daughter come in and he hands her one of these "breakfast drinks". "Kids, get showered up, We going to Tx for lunch and then see Willie in concert tonight. Plane is ready, got shotguns and ammo, we will kill time by shooting clays on a buddy's farm".

Not sure if the Rancher's daughter, or her daddy was trying to kill. One or the other was a handful - both damn near killed me.

Met Willie, yep sure did. "look like you been rode hard - put up wet", to me  Date said " I do the best I can." Daddy just took a swig and grinned.

Stupid me thought we might head back. Seems Date and her momma wanted Gumbo and Shrimp...I wake up in New Orleans. Dumond's and Benet's , Louisana Downs , and buggy rides in Shreveport.

Then Does in Mississippi, for steaks, then off again to attend a Bob Seger concert...had no idea where we landed...

End up back in TX and momma "just has to have" this Caddy. I mean 'right now' - we cannot order one. So rancher's daughter and I get to drive back to OK with "momma's new car" - paid for in cash. We have traveling money - oh yeah. I was never so happy to finally stop,get a hotel and just sleep. Then "on the road again".

There is something about a Rancher's wife just making a fuss , all hugging and going on about her daughters "feller" when he pulls up to the BIG house with her new car.  

"You kids want to fly down and see Buffett next week?"  

Money, private jets,pilots,fiesty rancher's daughters damn near kill a feller. Not complaining mind you, just needed a breather was all.  Smiley

I didn't get old - just got wore out too early is all. *grin*

Use Enough Alka Selzer

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Music and Memories
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 09:58:58 AM »
Steve-- I'm speechless.  You beat all I've ever seen.  Just...wow.  Nice to know I'm the friend of a legend.

Music and Memories
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 12:57:59 PM »
No, not a big deal.

I had actually dated someone special for a number of years out of HS. Then for whatever reason folks that age do - we broke up. So in the nature of my work, the part I cannot put on a Resume'...I just took the opportunity to get more more involved in this work - I can't put on a Resume'. Oh all legit, bonded, Lloyd's of London and all that stuff.

Just had some "cover" one might say. I met this gal, because her daddy spent a LOT of money with me in my "retail" life. I was invited to come out, have a drink and go bust quail. Rancher's daughter latched onto me like white on rice.
"Figured my daughter my like to meet ya".  Momma thought I hung the moon and the dogs thought I was the bestest new freind they ever had.

Music and Memories: well that gal I broke up with met right after HS, we met again some years later - like 25 yrs later, got  married, it ended too. Still we had our songs. "Wake up Little Susie" we will never forget that song. We fell asleep during the all night mararthon at thet drive-in - and I bring daughter home at ~ 5AM.  Being Country folks, daddy was up sipping coffee on the front porch.  Daughter opens door and all these cans fall out.
Daddy  Offered to swap that TallBoy Bud on my dash for a cup of coffee. Momma commented about daughter not having a bra...glove compartment stole it during the show I guess...where daughter went back and found anyway.

I got sober in '84, not had a drink since.

Don't mean I stopped having fun, and enjoying Good Music and associtating good times.

I was in or around Houston. See I had use of  a Shelby and since the Interstate was not open...but good road, I wanted to see just how fast this car would go. So I stroll up to a Texas Trooper. "Sir, see that car out there, I want to see how fast it will go on that stretch of road ...".
Sets his coffee down. "Son, you are cold sober, not on nothing best I can tell. You are serious?"
"Yep, I won't lie, there was a time I may have done this not sober and not asking".
I get this look...then a grin...'you know old so and so?"
"Yes Sir - good people and his wife is a sweetheart"
"Your that freind of his done some shootin'"
"Yep, that be me".

Trooper calls in for another buddy of his. At 1AM I get to blast down this road not open, pedal to the metal...
riding  shotgun was this trooper, his buddy called another - so I had one on each end of this stretch to cover my/ our butt.
That was me in a Shelby giving Trooper Rides...ZZTop, Allman Bros, Leon Russell...cranked up!

Helluva deal. I bought the nice guys breakfast later on.  So this is part of my life, when I was sober mind you, lost as a goose on some backroad...speeding "I'm late for a shoot, got turned around".  NO ticket, just asked where the Shelby was and escorted to the shooting place. I mean I show up with a flashing light escort in front.

Officers are human too, just being honest works.  I even was able to give that officers wife some shotgun lessons.
'Honey, this is the guy speeding to the Rolling Stones, and you are going to let me take lessons from him?'
"Yeah and he hates the Bee Gees with a passion".
To teach her about patterning - she shot a Bee Gee Album...hey got us off to a great start.

The Washburn Tunnel coming out of Pasenda. TX  - forget the vehicle radio, no reception. So if sitting in the tunnel - due to a wreck up ahead. 4 vehicles with  the Same Jimi Hendrix Tape - can get some great acoustics going in a tunnel.

Hey the officers didn't seem to mind when they finally got in there...waving, doing head nods...I guess you had to be there. Smiley
"Steve's in town!"
Tongue

Put your  hand over your heart and face Texas!
Crank that sucker up and let the Music soar - even thought I don't drink - NOBODY quits partying until the keg floats. It is a Texas State Law - really, ask Art.

crt360

• friend
Music and Memories
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 01:12:25 PM »
Steve, if that's getting killed, sign me up.  I'd rather die that way than get old and die from complications of a long boring life (which seems to be the path I've found myself on lately).  

I have a million musical memories that can haunt or comfort me.  One that comes to mind was skiing down Aspen mountain, very fast, late afternoon, dark, heavy snow, almost zero visibility, no sign of anyone else around, wondering if I should stop before I hit a tree, when I began to hear "Gimme Shelter" from out of nowhere.  It must have been coming from a NASTAR course that was closed, but someone working the gate was still there blasting tunes over the speakers.  It was a beautiful, magical few moments of being totally disoriented, somewhat reckless and completely surrounded by what couldn't have been more appropriate music.

How many of you remember the first songs your garage bands played well enough to play for other people?  The Deep Purple, ZZ Top, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith that sounded pretty good with a little practice?  Remember the song you wanted to play, but no one in the band could sing it worth crap?

I'm having a flashback overload.
For entertainment purposes only.

Music and Memories
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2006, 01:53:16 PM »
Style Points.

See in that other life there may have been some unsantioned shoots.  Being as I sometimes got around via helicopters , planes ( even a crop duster) ...I have not sky dived yet. On my list to do...

There is something about Jimi Hendrix doing "Star Spangled Banner" - me hanging out of a 'copter with speakers blaring this.

"Aqualung" by Tull sure gets folks attn when you show up to shoot in OK

My lady Partner thought the Soundtrack to GoldFinger was cool setting down on a private strip in FL, so much she did  Fiddler on the Roof in Alabama.

"Amy" by Pure Praire League was a bit hit in TX...

Style points, sometimes " oh hell what is that boy up to now?"

Hey the boss man paid, and buddies had flying stuff, nobody said I could not make an appearance.

Only bad part about a Cigarette Racer out off Miami...you cannot hear the theme song to Miami Vice...but you fell it just the same.

I will skydive. I want a tall good looking gal as my whatever they are called, wear  a Molon Labe sticker on my helmet, and figure out some way to have music in this thing.  Give me time - I'll get it figured out.

I did it with a dirt bike...had to be edited in, still I did it...even the part where I was all aholes and elbows...if you are gonna crash...look good doing it...style points.

280plus

• friend
Music and Memories
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2006, 03:15:45 AM »
Speaking of bizzaro musical moments and Jan Hammer...

There's this little town in Japan called Fukuoka. In Fukuoka they had taken an entire 2 story commercial district street and covered it from end to end with a high glass ceiling, effectively turning it into a mall. In that "mall" they had piped music. So I'm walking in this mall in the little obscure town of Fukuoka, Japan and the music floating seemingly from nowhere is Jeff Beck and the Jan Hammer group's "Highway Jam". So now every time I hear that tune...

(Another one you don't hear much anymore.)

Of course then "Highway Jam" reminds me of  "Fun, fun, fun on the Autobahn"

Garage bands - "Sunshine of Your Love" and  "Hey Joe" they both come to mind. Credence too.