Author Topic: Anyone watching the Alito confirmation hearings?  (Read 1509 times)

Dannyboy

• friend
Anyone watching the Alito confirmation hearings?
« on: January 10, 2006, 06:19:56 AM »
I watched some yesterday.  I didn't realize it was just gonna be opening statement type stuff.  Anyway, I couldn't do that.  I watched all the leftists on the Judiciary Committee sit there and imply (they never actually said it) that he was a racist, a mysoginist, and a totalitarian.  How is it that, with the exception of Boxer, the Judiciary committee got all of the looniest leftists in the Senate?
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 06:55:15 AM »
I watched a bit of it. I heard him talking about the rule of law, and how nobody in our Republic is above the rule of law. Hey, he looks like he knows what he's talking about.
(i.e., using Republic instead of democracy)
Andy

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 08:59:09 AM »
I caught part of the actual testimony during lunch. The Democrats are gettin' spanked! Cheesy

They tried to bait him with the "Living Constitution" question. His answer was brilliant! I'm paraphrasing here but basically he said that the Constitution is generally broad, but specific when it needs to be. It is "living" in the sense that as times change the situations where it need to be applied change. The underlying principles do not change. The Constitution itself does not change.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 11:16:19 AM »
Quote from: garrettwc
The Democrats are gettin' spanked!
They seem to be getting spanked more by the Republican senators than by Alito, though.  The Dems have been spending more time bloviating and attacking Alito than actually asking questions.  The Reps then spend a good amount of time defending Alito and refuting the Dems' allegations.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 01:10:37 PM »
The Dems have been spending more time bloviating and attacking Alito than actually asking questions.  The Reps then spend a good amount of time defending Alito and refuting the Dems' allegations.
So it's just another day inside the beltway, huh. They can't win an intellectually based debate, so they default to the playground antics of name calling.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 03:03:45 PM »
Didja here the Whale mispronounce his name?  He said al-ee-oh-toe instead of ah-lee-toe.  What an idjit.  Why aren't there term limits on congresscritters?

Greg

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 06:24:34 AM »
Didja here the Whale mispronounce his name?  He said al-ee-oh-toe instead of ah-lee-toe.  What an idjit.  Why aren't there term limits on congresscritters?
Did the Swimmer talk about the junior senator from Illinois, Osama Bin Laden/Osama Obama/Barak Obama too?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 08:38:48 AM »
Tarp, I think that Teddy's accent showing.

The ideologues are usually attracted to the Judiciary Committee.

Scalito is fine, but I would really be happy with Luttig.  *kicks rocks*
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 09:13:33 AM »
Anybody see the pissing contest between Specter and Kennedy?  Amusing and incredible sad all at the same time.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 10:19:49 AM »
Nope.  If you didn't hear it, you might think that.  He clearly said "Alioto."

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 11:04:57 AM »
I listened to it on Fox News via XM radio in the truck on my way to Chicago and back.

"Don't confuse me with the facts, I've already made up my mind" about sums it up for me.

The usual partisan spectacle.

At least the republicans didn't stoop to these tactics when it was Ginsberg's turn in the barrel.

I'm surprised that Alito is engaging the lefties as much as he is.  He could easily plead the "Ginsberg Principle" about abortion, executive power, etc.  It's not as if any of the 8 dems on the committee were going to even think about voting for him anyway.

The republicans are doing a good job of taking the steam out of Kennedy, Schumer, Biden, Durban.

"All's well that ends well."
Known from coast to coast, almost!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 03:19:10 PM »
I just saw clips of Biden and Ted questioning Alito.
Now understand I dont have a TV so never see these guys in action.  So doubtless you all know what I am going to write.
I have seldom seen such a gas bag as Biden in action.  I am shocked this man thinks he could be President.  He came across as such an elitist jerk, with his Princeton cap and all, with no point other than to hear himself speak.  And he appeared to have a cheap comb-over, or was that just the light?
Kennedy otoh seemed intent on tripping Alito up by reading passages from articles in some magazine of 21 years ago that Alito has already said he doesnt remember.  Even if he had read the article, is there something saying that if you read non-PC articles you are unfit for Supreme Court?  Why did Ted waste time on this?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 08:22:08 PM »
Quote from: TarpleyG
Nope.  If you didn't hear it, you might think that.  He clearly said "Alioto."
It sounded like "Al-Yoto" to me Smiley
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 08:42:20 PM »
dannyboy,

I saw that exchange. Cheesy  Specter really put Kennedy back in his chair.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?