Author Topic: Windows XP start up programs  (Read 1408 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Windows XP start up programs
« on: January 10, 2006, 07:26:04 PM »
Another stupid question.  With windows 98 I could go in and uncheck the items that I didnt want to spin up on start up.  I can't seem to figure out how to do it with XP.  My friends computer is using 95% of her CPU power because of all the *expletive deleted*it she has running in the background.  Takes like 5 minutes to open a program.  

Where do I go?

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 08:03:55 PM »
Blackburn speaks the truth.

I'll see if I can't dig up the registry area where they startup things are stored, as well.

Here you be: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 02:37:41 AM »
There's also hkey_current_user\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.  Stuff specific to that user will be located there.

Chris

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 05:08:40 AM »
Got it.  Went in an knocked some stuff off that don't need to run.  After reboot, the utility starts in sort of a safe mode with back up and wants you to start in normal mode next time.  When you do, it reloads all the drivers again. Sad

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 06:29:02 AM »
When that message screen comes up, look for the little check box that says something to the effect, "don't show this again at startup"

Check the box and the modified start up will operate as you wish.
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 06:55:27 AM »
Groovy!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 07:11:01 AM »
Defrag the hard drive if it takes a long time to load up.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 08:40:23 AM »
If I defrag now I will have to come back next week.  Not sure it would be done by then.  Its that slow.  Pentium 4 processor with 256mb ram.  Its a Sony so what can you expect Wink

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 09:27:27 AM »
Cleaned up my browser hijacker/popup.  Required a bit of sleuthing and some scrubbing while running under Safe Mode.  Damn those dll's are tenacious!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 09:52:11 AM »
You can speed up defrag by running in safe mode.  If the computer has some runtime on it and the disk has not been defraged its no wonder it takes a while to start up programs.  My daughters laptop was so fragmented programs would never start up.  Start the defrag utility just before you go to bed.  All shiny and new next morning.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

41 Redhawk

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 10:23:33 AM »
Start windows in safe mode, command prompt and type defrag c: and press enter. Come back later. This is the fastest way to do it. You might want to run disk cleanup (from a Windows normal startup) first. I usually chose not to compress old files.