Author Topic: Hog jowl  (Read 1876 times)

Smith

• friend
Hog jowl
« on: January 11, 2006, 04:32:33 AM »
Any fellow southerners here that enjoyed this delicacy this New Year's?  I just cooked out my last and the grease will turn out some mighty fine fried cabbage later this week.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Hog jowl
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 05:09:50 AM »
I gave up hog jowl for Lent.....
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

bermbuster

• friend
Hog jowl
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 05:33:10 AM »
No, thanks.  If I prepare black-eyed peas I season them with a little bacon or ham.

mtnbkr

• friend
Hog jowl
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 05:46:46 AM »
That and pig's feet are two southern delicacy's I've never had the pleasure of trying.

Fried cabbage sounds good though, got a recipe or directions?  I bet the grease would be good for wilting grens too.

Chris

Smith

• friend
Hog jowl
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 06:27:10 AM »
mtnbkr, use some kind of pork (hog jowl, fatback, sidemeat) for flavor and grease.  Bacon would be ok, but might taste too bacony or sweet.  Basically, you need a fatty meat that will give a smoked flavor instead of a salty or sweet flavor.  Anything salt cured will need to be rinsed heavily first.  Fry out your meat and as that's happening just chop your cabbage into bite-size pices or thereabouts.  Go ahead and put it in a LARGE frying pan and drizzle the grease on it as the pork cooks.  I recovered about the bottom quarter of a small sized coffee cup (not the modern mug) of grease from my jowl.  That would be just enough for one head of cabbage.  As it's cooking, season with just a little salt (to taste) and lots of pepper, both black and red.  I like my fried cabbage quite spicy, so I will go easy while cooking for the sake of others, and then have either crushed red or cayenne pepper on the table for myself.  Taste the cabbage often, both for a "MMMM GOOD" quality and also in order to keep an eye on the tenderness of the cabbage.  Don't let the cabbage go too soft, or it will be unappealing...a tiny bit of crunch is nice.

As far as pig's feet, I ate them a LONG time ago as a child, but now I am really grossed out by them.  I can't choke them down anymore.

Oh, one more thing.  If you decide to use jowl, get it cut by the butcher.  Have him to cut it somewhere around 1/8" or a little thicker, to 3/16"  No thicker.  I have some THICK stuff here and I don't know what to do with it other than just use it for grease (to keep for seasoning).  You can't use it like bacon (on the side of eggs or your cabbage) if it's too thick.  Also, jowl takes a long time to cook in comparision to bacon.  Just keep turning it and don't let it burn.  It won't crisp in the pan, so just take it out when it's cooked and brown, then let it drain onto a paper towel.

Lennyjoe

• friend
Hog jowl
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 06:56:33 AM »
Fried cabbage = yummy.  My wife makes fried cabbage and home made dumplings.  Good stuff.

mtnbkr

• friend
Hog jowl
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 06:59:12 AM »
I'll be trying this. Smiley

Chris

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Hog jowl
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 07:05:33 AM »
Hog Jowl cooked in a crock pot of Pinto Beans or Navy Beans is good. Many ways to spice up the beans - too many to go into here.

Regarding fried cabbage - gotta disagree about the bacon. Cut up some thick sliced smoked and peppered bacon (about 1/4 to 1/2 pound is good) into small chunks. Fry on medium until it just starts to turn brown. Toss in about half a cup of finely chopped onion, a clove or two of fresh chopped garlic and sautee with the bacon until the onion begins to caramelize. Throw in the cabbage. When it starts to wilt flavor with salt and pepper and a pinch (a pinch, not a dash or spoonful but a pinch) of cinnamon (if cinnamon is too weird for you try a bit of chili powder). Keep cooking the cabbage all the while stirring until it reaches the degree of cooked you prefer. Depending on my mood I'll eat it from crisp to totally cooked. A little red wine (yes red not white) or vinegar works well too in fried cabbage (but if you add vinegar leave out the cinnamon).

Note: You'll need a really big pot to cook a whole head. Cabbage takes up a lot of volume when raw and slowly wilts down as cooked.

Pigs feet: hated them as a kid love them as an adult. Very flavorful stuff. The kind that comes pickled in a jar are great just can't eat more than one or two at a time.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Hog jowl
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 07:20:38 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
That and pig's feet are two southern delicacy's I've never had the pleasure of trying.

Fried cabbage sounds good though, got a recipe or directions?  I bet the grease would be good for wilting grens too.

Chris
You're going to try and make me get fat, aren't you?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
Hog jowl
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 07:40:09 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
You're going to try and make me get fat, aren't you?
Nobody will force you to eat. Smiley

Chris

onions!

Hog jowl
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 07:42:12 AM »
Sounds right tasty.
+1 for the "i'll try it too"camp

Waitone

• friend
Hog jowl
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 09:54:47 AM »
Bacon works just as good and is not as questionable.

You want something fried?  Try fried icecream!  Now that's some eatin'.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Hog jowl
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 12:27:04 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
I gave up hog jowl for Lent.....
I guess I'm the only one who caught that.  

By the way, put another keyboard on my tab....

Oy, gevalt!  rolleyes

Fig