Author Topic: Food For Thought: What Happens When You Abandon Research  (Read 1002 times)

Art Eatman

• friend
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Food For Thought: What Happens When You Abandon Research
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 11:59:41 AM »
Indeed. World-class industrial research labs are being squeezed out of existence throughout the US, and elsewhere. IBM Labs, Bell Labs, etc. are shells of their former selves. AFAICT, the culprit is management stinginess and ignorance, and a three-month time horizon.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 03:07:19 PM »
"...and a three-month time horizon."

Indeed.  Mandated some decades back by the Security and Exchange Commission.  Previously, an annual report was all that was required, so annual and multi-annual planning was common.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

matis

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 05:34:08 PM »
Interesting but disheartening article.

Gives words to the inchoate dread that often comes with contemplating the future of this great country.

So being a masochist, I subscribed, so I can be sure to get a weekly dose of dread shocked from Whiskey and Gunpowder.

Thanks for an excellent article.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 05:42:02 AM »
The company I work for, SAIC, now has one of the largest and most diverse R&D programs in the United States. It's pretty sobering when such a small company is on par with IBM and the old Bell Labs essentially by default.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 06:07:51 AM »
We in the DoD are paying dearly for abandoning rotary-wing R&D after the Vietnam war. The manufacturing base is similarly outdated because we produce only a trickle of hugely expensive aircraft each year. I think the best hope is for DoD weapon systems to piggy-back on commercial ventures in which companies will be willing to invest scarce IRAD bucks.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 07:35:04 AM »
I think the best hope is for DoD weapon systems to piggy-back on commercial ventures in which companies will be willing to invest scarce IRAD bucks.
The only reason commercial companies have IRAD going is to preserve their monopolies (cf. Microsoft and Qualcomm; both essentially bought up all the university researchers in their respective fields.) Commercial-company management has decided that it's cheaper (and therefore better) to let someone else do the research than to do one's own.

The academic/industry disconnect has gotten even worse over the last decade, if that's possible, which doesn't help.

Ironically, a lot of techies want to get into DoD work because they think it's safer than commercial, where they will likely be replaced by Cheapistani drones at a tenth of the wage (and probably double the total cost.) Having been there and done that, I know how boom-and-bust it can be. Whenever the next Democrat is elected president, it'll probably dry up to fund graffiti artists or something. rolleyes
The company I work for, SAIC, now has one of the largest and most diverse R&D programs in the United States.
Mike, how's SAIC to work for?  There are branches near where I live, and I've been thinking about dropping them a resume.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 09:18:48 AM »
"Mike, how's SAIC to work for?"

I've been here for 7 years. The founder retired 3 years ago, and now our entire ownership model (employee ownership) is changing to publically traded.

All in all, that means that SAIC is now simply another place to work.

Overall it's OK. I've worked worse places.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.