Author Topic: VP debate  (Read 4941 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
VP debate
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:56:05 PM »
Is it just me or does Biden trigger anyone else's "I want to push his face in" reflex. Has he let Ryan finish a single thought? Same for the "obviously" non-partisan moderator.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
VP Debate
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:01:06 PM »
For those of you who watched it, what are your thoughts?

It's still on as I type this, and Biden is on my nerves: rude, overly defensive, and blaming intelligence agencies for what happened on 9/11.

Ryan is prettier and the flag on his lapel is bigger.

The debate is background noise for me right now.
I leave it to you all to break down everything I missed that was of substance.

ETA: Mods, I just saw someone else beat me to this topic. Please delete.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: VP debate
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:05:14 PM »
I turned it off.

Biden is acting manic, boorish and creepy.

Ryan can hardly complete an answer without being interrupted by Biden or the moderator.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »
Identical threads (with identical subjects!) merged.

ETA: No need to delete, the merge function works just fine. :)
Andy

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 10:07:41 PM »
I turned it off.

Biden is acting manic, boorish and creepy.

Ryan can hardly complete an answer without being interrupted by Biden or the moderator.

Acting?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 10:08:49 PM »
I keep expecting Crazy Joe to flip his wicket at any moment and lunge across the table, spittle flying, to try to choke Ryan...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 10:11:44 PM »
I keep expecting Crazy Joe to flip his wicket at any moment and lunge across the table, spittle flying, to try to choke Ryan...

I am disappoint that he hasn't yet.
"It's good, though..."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 10:13:48 PM »

And then see Ryan throat chop him and proceed to percussively recalibrate the codger? Better than even money says Ryan would break Biden in half in a no-holds-barred cage match.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 10:15:54 PM »
And then see Ryan throat chop him and proceed to percussively recalibrate the codger? Better than even money says Ryan would break Biden in half in a no-holds-barred cage match.

Best. Debate. Ever.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 10:29:25 PM »
Quote from: Ron

This. Shut up, old man.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 10:33:34 PM »
Is it my imagination or with all of Biden's interruptions he got to speak a good bit more than Ryan?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: VP debate triggers nausea in some
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 10:40:35 PM »
RoadKingLarry, LadySmith, Ron, Avenger29, Fistful:

+1
Biden is a sanctimonious overbearing jackwagon.  Good grief. 
And I just heard a radio announcer say Biden won by just an "itsy" bit......  Really :facepalm:.

Biden's laughing, smirking and other "mannerisms" just don't play well with me.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 10:41:25 PM »
It was closer than the Romney Obama first debate, but I'll say Ryan still won.

He had real figures and plans. Biden had platitudes and soundbites. And he looked jealous that Ryan seemed to know all these details about cities, towns, regions, and the different groups of insurgents in Afghanistan.  =D

And as a lot of people will say "It's just for VP", but I think people can imagine Ryan as POTUS, either in 8 years, or sooner in terms of some unforeseen circumstance.

Biden?  Yeah... that.  :-X
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 10:44:40 PM »
Robert had Football practice tonight, so I missed it.  I did have 18 minutes in the "When does Crazy Uncle Joe drop the the first F-bomb" pool. 

How'd I do?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 10:50:01 PM »
One of the things Biden said is that he always says exactly what he means.  I won't mention all the stupid comments he has said in the past but he meant them... word for word.

I was not happy with the moderator. I felt she cut off Ryan and would let Biden have the last word.  The Fox news people said that Biden spoke for 41 minutes and Ryan for 40.  It didn't feel that way considering the way Biden would seldom allow Ryan to complete his thought.  Again, I look at the Moderator and hope she never moderates another debate. To me, her bias was fairly obvious.

Biden was arrogant and disrespectful.  But so is Obama for the most part unless he is bowing to a foreign leader or telling the Russians that I will have more lattitude "after the election".  Biden turned me off.  But he was dominant in the VP debate.

The interesting thing is that Biden went with "experience" and dismissed the challenger as not being truthful and without saying it "inexperienced".
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 10:52:22 PM »
Biden, to me, comes off as a smarmy con man.  Smirks, shifty glance.  Ryan is a Boy Scout, a very smart Boy Scout, and that is a good thing.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 10:59:34 PM »
I used to say that Biden is someone I would like to go shooting with, have a beer with, hang out with and talk politics or whatever.  I feel differently now.  He is an a$$.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 11:00:50 PM »

I'd pay good money to see that. Of course the press would call Ryan the instigator.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 11:06:52 PM »

Biden turned me off.  But he was dominant in the VP debate.

Dominant?  Or rude, condescending and constantly interrupting.  I changed my mind about VP Biden tonight too. And it wasn't for the better. 

Biden seemed to think that talking loudly, interrupting, and responding with statements like "that's just malarkey" and calling Ryan "my friend" all night long was the way to win.  I wasn't impressed.  It was also pretty funny that at one point he whined about not getting enough time yet he spoke for at least a minute longer than Ryan had tonight.  And don't forget that more of Ryans 40 minutes was spent answering questions from the moderator who didn't ask Biden very many pointed questions.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:11:23 PM by dm1333 »

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 11:22:48 PM »
The moderator had a big impact on the "dominance" of Biden. Too many followup questions directed toward Ryan and few for Biden.  That allowed Biden to smirk even more.

What was the saying that Clint Eastwood said in his one movie?  ....  cluster xxxx (bad word).

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 11:27:13 PM »
"If a wise man has an argument with a fool, the fool only rages and laughs, and there is no quiet." Proverbs 29:9
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 11:45:48 PM »
The Joker / Biden separated at birth?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 11:50:23 PM »
The Joker / Biden separated at birth?

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 11:50:49 PM »
I missed the first half of the debate, got home in time for the second half. I think the 2nd half did not have the condescending smirk as much, so that may skew things...

From what I saw, I would say this was a draw or slight win for Biden.

Partisan dems will claim a Biden win.
Partisan reps will claim a Ryan win.

Biden was dominant in a brow beating sort of way, no class. Ryan definitely stayed composed and classy and fought hard under the brow beating pressure, but ceded way too much to Biden. When Biden called out that Romney/Ryan had no plan for X, Ryan did NOT shut that down by specifying the plans they have laid out. Or when abortion came up, Ryan did not call out that Biden voted for a Constitutional amendment to overturn RvW.

On the positive for Ryan, he was able to deliver the Romney message clearly at times. He clearly laid out Obama's broken promises, he clearly laid out that Obama doesn't have a plan. He clearly laid out that Romney has qualifications for the kinds of issues they think need to be tackled.

With as many crazy things Biden has been quoted for, I was expecting an inept bumbler. That is not the Biden I saw, I saw a wily old man who argued hard.

Ryan came off much more moderate than what he is portrayed in media. He put forth a record of both himself and Romney willing to work with Dems. I do not know how well that will play with undecideds and indies.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 12:05:04 AM »
The Joker  Hannibal Lecter / Biden separated at birth?

FIFY >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero