Author Topic: Vox Goes After Self-Checkout  (Read 2337 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Vox Goes After Self-Checkout
« on: November 24, 2018, 01:08:30 PM »
I knew they'd eventually get around to the evils of the self checkout. I'm guessing the Vox staff shops at Amazon, but Amazon (including brick and mortar "automated" Amazon stores) good, Walmart bad.

Only a Vox moron millennial would find self-checkout difficult and frustrating.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2018/11/24/self-awareness-fail-vox-sounds-alarm-about-store-self-checkouts-reality-checks-ensue/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Vox Goes After Self-Checkout
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 01:19:52 PM »
I have always thought that using the self-checkout should come with a 10-20% discount due to the labor costs being shifted to me.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 01:36:36 PM »
I have always thought that using the self-checkout should come with a 10-20% discount due to the labor costs being shifted to me.

I look at it as a bonus for me.  I get what I need, and don't have to interact with anyone. Win-win

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 01:46:38 PM »
Self Checkout is the handicapped lane for introverts...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »
Self Checkout is the handicapped lane for introverts...

I laugh, but am with Dogmush. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 01:49:55 PM »
In those stores that have the option, I pick self-checkout or cashier based on which has the shortest lines. I almost always do the self-checkout at Home Depot, as it turns out.  The Target by our home recently started a self-checkout and I have used that several times.  The two Safeway stores by our home recently removed their self-checkout; I asked an employee and she said it was due to theft.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 01:52:56 PM »
I don't use them unless I don't have more than a few things. The original one's at Food Lion had enough space to actually get a whole load of groceries through it and you didn't have to bag until you were done scanning, but now they have the weighted bag set up and it doesn't work if you're buying more stuff or buying stuff in cases, like bottled water.

I actually would prefer to bag my own stuff, since I have a system, but everywhere I go now, they have it set up for the cashier to bag as they go.  =|

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »

I actually would prefer to bag my own stuff, since I have a system, but everywhere I go now, they have it set up for the cashier to bag as they go.  =|

They look at you funny when you rearrange stuff and hand them back an empty bag.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 04:06:05 PM »
I loathe self checkout, for these reasons:

1. Produce or loose inventory items, like nuts and bolts at Home Depot
2. Anything that doesn't fit in a bag, but the anti-theft weight sensor nags you to put it in a bag
3. Alcohol

I also think it's slower than an actual human powered register, due to the anti-theft weight sensors and inability to absentmindedly scan everything quickly across like a typical cashier would do.

I abstain from using them and go out of my way to tell managers that I hate the things, but not for the labor protectionist reasons that a lot of people are glomming onto nowadays.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 05:44:21 PM »
Self-checkout is frustrating in ways too diverse to name β€” the scanning mistakes, the messed-up barcodes, the odd rules. California state law changed in 2013, forbidding the sale of alcohol at self-checkouts, even those that stop the transaction and prompt an ID check by a store employee.

IMO this is a crock o' you know what.  I use self check out at Wal Mart and a couple of other stores and have pretty much zero in the way of problems.  I don't have to wait in line, no bar code errors and I can fit all my stuff into one or two re usable bags.  The only time I use a checker is for beer.  The whole article is a hot mess.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 06:04:38 PM »
In those stores that have the option, I pick self-checkout or cashier based on which has the shortest lines. I almost always do the self-checkout at Home Depot, as it turns out.  The Target by our home recently started a self-checkout and I have used that several times.  The two Safeway stores by our home recently removed their self-checkout; I asked an employee and she said it was due to theft.

Conversely, I always decline to use self-checkout. It's obviously a cost saving to the stores, I get that, but it's also another increment in the elimination of jobs that some people may need, and not be qualified to do anything more difficult. While I like prices to be as low as possible, I am not in favor of replacing humans with machines on a wholesale basis, and so I decline to support it.

Yes, I know that modern cars are largely built by robots, and most modern firearms are produced with CNC machines and that the machines can do the work better and more consistently than humans. That's a trade-off, and I still wrestle with it. Replacing checkout clerks with machines doesn't (to me) offer any compensating benefits. My late wife was from South America. There is a chain of large stores in her country that are sort of like Super Walmarts -- they sell everything from small hardware bits to produce, bread, and foods. They don't have self-checkout. (At least, they didn't the last time I visited, with was in 2014.) The store that I went to most frequently had 74 checkout lanes. (They were numbered, so I didn't have to count.) On a typical day, at least 70 of them would be open and there would never be more than three people in line for a cashier -- usually not more than two. I found it very civilized and refreshing, especially compared to here, where a typical Walmart may still have ten or twelve conventional checkout lanes but most times only two or three are open and the customers at each are lined up six to eight deep. I know that Walmart is trying to force me to use the automated lanes, and I don't choose to succumb.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 07:45:50 PM »
They look at you funny when you rearrange stuff and hand them back an empty bag.

Ohhh... You don't know funny. I always arrange my stuff on the conveyor in groups (cold stuff, raw meat, baked, dry foods, sundries, pet stuff...) and I prefer it get bagged with it's group. I don't mind the occasional mixing, especially if I only have one of a particular grouping, but getting it all mixed together annoys the hell out of me and putting raw meat into a bag with other food does earn a comment.
And yes, there is method to my madness. Doing it that way makes it easier to put away when I get home, especially since I have a really big, really nosy dog who has to inspect everything.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 08:27:29 PM »
Ohhh... You don't know funny. I always arrange my stuff on the conveyor in groups (cold stuff, raw meat, baked, dry foods, sundries, pet stuff...) and I prefer it get bagged with it's group. I don't mind the occasional mixing, especially if I only have one of a particular grouping, but getting it all mixed together annoys the hell out of me and putting raw meat into a bag with other food does earn a comment.

This is why I always put things like bread and eggs at the end of my order. And it bugs the carp out of me when the bagger proceeds to drop the bread in a bag and then pile canned goods on top of the bread.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 08:36:14 PM »
Conversely, I always decline to use self-checkout. It's obviously a cost saving to the stores, I get that, but it's also another increment in the elimination of jobs that some people may need, and not be qualified to do anything more difficult.

Yeah, but "jobs for the unqualified" is how you get stuck with people pumping your gas in Oregon and New Jersey.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 01:11:49 AM »
 i always argue with the durn self checkout.
but i prefer it anyway.
"unexpected item in the bagging area"

um, no its not i put it there!
""please take your receipt"
don't tell me what to do computer, i have too many receipts in my truck already
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2018, 01:13:53 AM »
i think its mega corp driving up cost for mega corp.
"oooh, look at our competition , competition bad , mega corp good
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 09:25:08 AM »
Our grocery store has had the HHTs for awhile now, but SWMBO and I only recently started using them.  We scan and bag as we go, then check out with just a scan of the barcode displayed on the HHT.

You can do this at a self-checkout aisle, but if you have coupons or alcohol, too often you have to wait for an attendant.  So we just use a manned aisle, even if we have to wait in line.  Cashier scans HHT, looks at ID if we have booze, and scans coupons and bottle slips.  Pay and skedaddle.

As far as theft, it would take a sharp eye on the security cameras to prevent that.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

griz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 10:45:05 AM »
Speaking of cameras, our local Wally World now has a little video monitor on the self check screen so you can watch yourself scan things.  I suspect it's a little bit of intimidation so you know the magic elves in the box are watching you.

I generally use them except for some things that I am sure will require an age check.

As an aside, does the youngster who verifies that I am old enough to buy a four dollar pocket knife have to be old enough to buy it themselves?

And the other downside is when they expanded the self checkout our local store left comfortably wide isles around the scanner islands.  In their quest to prevent people from proceeding past merchandise at a full walk, they have now stuck a big display in the middle of the isle with candy bars and other junk they want you to throw in your cart.  The problem is there is now exactly two carts of width between the display and the scanners on each side, and if the other customers are the type that park the cart behind them to scan, you literally can't get out.  So much for reducing interactions with others.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »
I refuse to use it. Even if you do it right you get treated as a criminal. And doing it right? I made choices to not be a grocery store clerk and the two reasons I do not shop only on Amazon is being able to hold the product and service. Take one away and I will take me chances, Amazon does okay on returns.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2018, 02:15:18 PM »
i always argue with the durn self checkout.
but i prefer it anyway.
"unexpected item in the bagging area"

um, no its not i put it there!
""please take your receipt"
don't tell me what to do computer, i have too many receipts in my truck already

This would be another reason I don't use them much anymore.  :lol: "SHUT UP YOU STUPID MACHINE! I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2018, 02:34:54 PM »
Yeah, but "jobs for the unqualified" is how you get stuck with people pumping your gas in Oregon and New Jersey.

This.

Also, if your complaint is that the store is trying to make you do the work, or trying to save costs, or similar, then you deserve to stand and wait forever for the manned checkout, just to buy three items. If I only have a few things, I'm going to use the robot. I hope you enjoy your wait. Peruse the tabloid headlines. Add a Snickers to your cart.

2. Anything that doesn't fit in a bag, but the anti-theft weight sensor nags you to put it in a bag

At all the self-checkouts I've ever seen, the bags are sitting on one side of a rather large scales. I just set the larger items on the other side of the scales.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2018, 02:38:40 PM »
This would be another reason I don't use them much anymore.  :lol: "SHUT UP YOU STUPID MACHINE! I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!"

I have an innate belief that machines, being my social inferiors, should know better than to speak to me without first being spoken to. I wish they came with a mute button.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 03:04:39 PM »
This.

Also, if your complaint is that the store is trying to make you do the work, or trying to save costs, or similar, then you deserve to stand and wait forever for the manned checkout, just to buy three items. If I only have a few things, I'm going to use the robot. I hope you enjoy your wait. Peruse the tabloid headlines. Add a Snickers to your cart.

At all the self-checkouts I've ever seen, the bags are sitting on one side of a rather large scales. I just set the larger items on the other side of the scales.
I have noticed that if I put the item in a bag or on the table next to the bags after scanning, the computer senses and doesn't trigger any anti-theft checks.  If I try to scan it and put it straight in my basket, that is when it nags me.  Just like any computer system, if you follow the routine the programmers set up, it all works okay.
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 03:56:38 PM »
The Walmart self-checkouts are pretty good and always have been.  They must have done a lot of research and in-house trials before they rolled them out.

Home Depot used to have major problems with the scale being too sensitive and getting upset if it thought the item you put in (or next to) the bag was off by a few grams.  They've improved that vastly; if anything going too far in the other direction -- that might just mean that they are video monitoring the checkouts closely.

A couple of weeks ago at a Kroger near Houston, I saw some fresh turmeric roots and I bought a couple.  They did not have a PLU sticker, so at the register I had to do a "look up item" by name.  It wasn't in the computer.  I was about to wave an attendant over, when I thought "what if they just misspelled it?"  Sure enough, I typed 'T' and started scrolling thru all the items that came up, and near the end of the list there it was, "Tumeric" :D
"It's good, though..."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2018, 04:25:19 PM »
Our grocery store has had the HHTs for awhile now, but SWMBO and I only recently started using them.

Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia?  Wow.  I'll put them in my prayers.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.