Author Topic: Delicious thread on THR  (Read 4843 times)

Lee

• friend
Re: Delicious thread on THR
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2006, 03:17:56 PM »
The good news, is that there are a bunch of people from WAY different backgrounds and lifestyles that are into shooting and gun rights.  A handful of grizzled geezers clutching the past ain't gonna keep freedom alive at the polls.       

Warren

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2006, 04:48:09 PM »
Any thread involving dogs should be locked immediately

Any thread involving cops, doing anything more than charity work, should be locked immediatley.

And any thread involving a dog shot by cops not only should be locked but should be given a negative post count resulting in an anti-thread that sucks all like thread matter into another dimension.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2006, 05:36:18 PM »
"A handful of grizzled geezers clutching the past ain't gonna keep freedom alive at the polls."

Amen.  Which is why a lot of us old geezers encourage the younguns to get involved.  Why we do bring up "the way it was", in hopes the younguns will think that's the way it still oughta be--and work to bring back those freer times.

Smiley, Art       
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2006, 08:54:29 PM »
I thought the thread was funny because the poster was rather loudly demanding a new forum, rather than calmly suggesting it would be a good idea.  Had he done so, there could have been an interesting discussion on the topic, where newbies would no doubt learn of the earlier Roundtable forums.  Then again, a bunch of dweebs would have been directed here, and I don't need more competition on that front.   cheesy

It was also funny because of the apparent intensity of his anger over the situation, judging by the all the emoticons. 

It was also funny because Justin shut the stupid thing down before it got a single response.  Good for him.  Like I said, the question was good, but poorly asked. 

Then there is this idea that "shooting imaginary guns at pictures" is as worthwhile as real target-shooting.  Or that playing video games is somehow as worthwhile as reading Dickens or playing the flute, or even talking on an internet forum.  That's funny, too. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2006, 12:11:49 AM »
Then there is this idea that "shooting imaginary guns at pictures" is as worthwhile as real target-shooting.  Or that playing video games is somehow as worthwhile as reading Dickens or playing the flute, or even talking on an internet forum.  That's funny, too. 

That wasn't my point, and you know it.  My point was that target practice is not any more intellectually stimulating than playing a videogame is.  And while I would agree that target practice does have a lot more application to other things like hunting and self defense than gaming does, you can't sit here and tell me that your brain gets involved much more aiming down some steel sights than mine does aiming a cursor.

And there are genres that people would argue are intellectually demanding (most adventure games, most puzzle games) and educational (Brain Age and all its knockoffs, well done wargames.)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2006, 03:40:46 AM »
That wasn't my point, and you know it. 
Actually, I didn't know it and you didn't really make that point in your post.  If my remarks do not apply to you, then disregard them.  But, I must say that actual shooting engages the mind more than video-game shooting.  And you were talking about "shooting a fake gun at pictures," not solving puzzles.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Justin

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2006, 01:48:20 PM »
thats a hoot.  Oleg really needs to have a chat with Jeff White and Justin.  These guys are setting internet records for the most locked threads in a discussion forum.  Only on rare occasions, do their actions seem justified.  It sure stifles discussion.

Oleg, and the rest of the staff are aware of the fact that the discussions are being tightened up.  It wouldn't have happened without their approval.

Yeah, and last I knew, Justin ain't the owner. I wouldn't have a problem if he was just shutting down garbage threads, but he shuts down threads I was enjoying too. Not only that, it looked to me like he shut down some topics where it looked to me like a poster had a ligitimate issue or question.

I'm not the owner, but, as already stated, I do have his blessing.  Look, I'm not out to shut down every single fun thread.  I've had to close a bunch of threads that I, personally, thought were enjoyable, but they weren't on topic.  If a thread was on topic, and closed by mistake, there's nothing stopping someone from sending an email or PM asking for it to be opened again.

The good news, is that there are a bunch of people from WAY different backgrounds and lifestyles that are into shooting and gun rights.  A handful of grizzled geezers clutching the past ain't gonna keep freedom alive at the polls.

Y'know, I'm not a grizzled old geezer, but I think it's just lack of experience.  laugh
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2006, 02:41:59 AM »
If a thread was on topic, and closed by mistake, there's nothing stopping someone from sending an email or PM asking for it to be opened again.
BTDT and it worked!  shocked

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2006, 01:37:59 PM »
Y'know, I'm not a grizzled old geezer, but I think it's just lack of experience.

LMAO! cheesy

I guess I'm about 1/3 of the way there... "crotchety" would be a great word to describe me.  Have a couple decades to go before the "grizzled" and "geezer" can apply.  Way too young for those!

I'm glad for all you grizzled geezers, BTW.  It was a Grizzled Geezer, 5 years ago, that introduced this granola-eating, tree-hugging, backpacking, video-gaming confused liberal to firearms (originally for hiking defense, now for fun, hunting, self defense and Homeland Defense, the true use of the Evil Black Rifle) and brought his brain around to logical conservatism (not neoconservatism).

Cheers to you guys.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ron

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2006, 01:48:11 PM »
Cheers to you guys.

Back at ya!!

We should start a backpacking thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2006, 02:45:38 PM »
A lot of those thread do go way over the top.  It amazes me how many people are willing to jump to conclusions and make wild posts when I know they wouldn't say that if we were all in the room together.  Some people are just not interested in having a discussion.  The dog posts are a good example.

Art often actually chimes in with the voice of reason (or some close facsimile thereof). 

I remember a post about a guy getting in trouble with a court order because he was harassing hunters on the property next door.  Countless fools chimed in as to how you should be able to do anything you want on your property regardless of how it affects neighbors.  It was nuts.  I think a lot of people are just drive-by posters who fail to read an article or other posts and just blabber their first thoughts no matter how little they have thought through it. 

I normally hang out first at the Rifle forum.  Even that gets frustrating with newbies coming in and asking the same question that was asked 1 month before.  I guess I have been posted at THR too long.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge