Author Topic: Is it true people are being denied access to bank accounts and credit?  (Read 4457 times)

luckyorwhat

Heard on late night radio while driving, that people with good credit are being denied large purchases on their cards, and some banks are restricting ATM withdrawals below what the normal max is.

Is this true? Does it depend on the bank, and what % of banks?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Oh Noes!! My faith in the banking industry!!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Of course some people are being denied large purchases on their cards.  It's called "maxed out".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Yes, CC's get orders denied even when there's plenty of credit behind it. Happened when I moved to Dallas a few years back. Card that never got much use was used to purchase a few hundred dollars' worth of stuff late at night, two hundred miles or so from normal purchasing area. CC people said 'no'. Turned out that they thought it was stolen. Profuse apologies.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Late night radio? Which late night radio program you are referring to?

That could explain a lot.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
I heard that there are underground cities in Indiana too.  Darn that Art Bell! grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
I heard that there are underground cities in Indiana too.  Darn that Art Bell! grin

Yeah, that and the "Kokomo Hum". grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

grislyatoms

• friends
Geez, guys. First post and he's made out to be AlexBellChickenJonesLittleArt. shocked laugh

Anyway, as for the topic, I have heard lately that banks are tightening lending terms due to all the doom and gloom forecasts and of course the mortgage uh, can't think of an appropriate term here snafu situation.

I've heard no other such rumblings, nor have I experienced them.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
You know, I think a lot of the mortgage stuff could get fixed if the loan holders just agreed to take the terms back to what they were initially... At the same time, requiring that the individual's credit be FROZEN (except for valid emergency) so that all they can do is pay stuff off...

Blog under construction

grislyatoms

• friends
I think a lot of the mortgage stuff could get fixed if the loan holders just agreed to take the terms back to what they were initially

I think that's being done already by some finance companies.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Is it true people are being denied access to bank accounts and credit?
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 02:15:53 PM »
If it is true, it is probably my fault.  And I'd do it again, I tell you! 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 02:20:43 PM »
If it is true, it is probably my fault.  And I'd do it again, I tell you! 

There you go. grin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 02:55:32 PM »
OK....

First, back off on the guy. He's asking for information, NOT spouting conspiracy.

Nice welcome wagon, you 'tards.  rolleyes

Second, some banks/financial companies routinely look at the credit reports for people who have accounts with them. That's how you hear about people who have good credit ratings but a fair amount of debt getting hit with credit card rate increases. It's a pre-emptive strike.

I suspect that that may be what is happening here. It's all part of risk based lending.

As for withdrawal limits at ATMs, I've not heard that one. It could be that people are trying to get money out of machines that are not associated with their primary financial institution. The owner of the ATM may have different withdrawal limits.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

luckyorwhat

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 02:58:51 PM »
OK thanks. I'm in Canada and it's hard to get a gauge on how things are down there. Our $ being above your $ in value is just good fun for most people, but it's got alarm bells going off in some people who are modestly familiar with investing. The US is supposed to be like Gibraltar, so if I hear other rumors I'll have to check here still to confirm.

The gist of that radio show was that the credit situation, liquidity crunch, (though swears are more appropriate) was so bad that in essence banks were freezing accounts, like often happens in very dire times. Even if untrue if I were American I'd consider getting cash from bank accounts as step 1, and then perhaps converting it to fungible commodities as step 2 if and when banks stopped letting people access their accounts.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 03:02:25 PM »
Actually the wall st journal had an article about banks yanking people's home equity lines because the value of the house had fallen, thus no equity anymore.
That isn't a conspiracy.  No one has a "right" to credit that is being "denied."  That is probably a sound judgement call on the banks' part.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 03:35:56 PM »
Card that never got much use was used to purchase a few hundred dollars' worth of stuff late at night, two hundred miles or so from normal purchasing area. CC people said 'no'. Turned out that they thought it was stolen. Profuse apologies.

A couple months ago a card I use all the time (NRA Visa) was used to attempt to make a $600 purchase, at 4AM.  In the Netherlands.  The CC company refused it, and contacted me the next day.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

luckyorwhat

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 03:52:34 PM »
Thanks Rabbi, that sounds like a reasonable, though still disconcerting, explanation of how such rumors get started.

As for traveling, CC companies prefer if you notify them you'll be traveling so their computers don't flag your card, so that's more of a personal mistake than a national financial one.

luckyorwhat

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »
P.S. bogie someone has to lose money, your solution simply shifts the loss from one party to the other. Make no mistake, banks protect themselves and if it comes down to them losing, it's likely everyone loses with them. Technically the consumers are acting exactly right, it's the people who toyed with rates that made the mess.
You know, I think a lot of the mortgage stuff could get fixed if the loan holders just agreed to take the terms back to what they were initially... At the same time, requiring that the individual's credit be FROZEN (except for valid emergency) so that all they can do is pay stuff off...

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »
$600 purchase, at 4AM.  In the Netherlands.
That'll teach you to pay for hookers with a credit card.  grin

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »
As for withdrawal limits at ATMs, I've not heard that one. It could be that people are trying to get money out of machines that are not associated with their primary financial institution. The owner of the ATM may have different withdrawal limits.

I use chase, and they only permit ~$500 in atm withdrawal per day. Of course, in person banking has no limit. Also, that was 2-3yrs ago when I was still paying rent - so this is nothing new.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 07:29:57 PM »
You know it is interesting that everyone is spouting doom and gloom.  However, over here in Iraq I went to the Harley dealer and looked into a bike and found out that the one I wanted is sold out.  Granted the bike I was looking at is a limited edition bike but still at $16,, that ain't chump change.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 08:19:25 PM »
Well, it'll get spread out, but at the same time, I think that the folks who were unethically hard selling folks need to take some of the blame... And I also think that the buyers need to be financially shut down until they get the stuff fixed.

Drop the terms back to Day 1, and put all the credit cards in a safe, with a "do not issue" order at the credit bureaus.

Blog under construction

luckyorwhat

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
Interesting, but the guy who was hard-selling people was Greenspan, when you make money cheap like that people buy more of it. Also the loans are not held by the banks anymore, banks bundle up a bunch of loans and sell them to the highest bidder, so a bidder buys those loans just like we buy savings bonds. If the rate of your bond was suddenly reduced so you'd make less off it, even lose money, that wouldn't be just.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 04:06:07 AM »
The gov't needs to do nothing.  The markets will clear all this at some price.  Some people will lose a lot of money.  Many people will lose some money.  Other people will make a ton of money picking the corpses for incredible deals.  That's how it's supposed to work.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

doc2rn

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 04:33:58 AM »
This was hashed out on THR back in January around the first of the year. Yes, some CC issued by certain banks are refusing to accomodate firearm purchases.