Author Topic: Learning Java, should I take a class?  (Read 3466 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Learning Java, should I take a class?
« on: January 22, 2010, 05:58:01 PM »
I've enrolled for two classes this semester.  One is a required history course, which I need to take and have actually been looking forward to.  Unfortunately, there are seven books for the course, and I have been promised that it will require lots of reading and thinking, in addition to things like going to history exhibits and reviewing them historiographically, attending an undergrad. research symposium and other events and writing about them. 

The other course is in Java, and I have also been told that this class requires a lot of homework.  I am wondering whether I should just drop this class, and learn Java on my own.  On the other hand, this class is a prerequisite for most of the other information systems classes I might want to take.  And on the third hand, I have found the previous info systems courses to be pretty easy. 

Is Java really that hard to learn?  Should I just drop, and take it next semester, after I've studied on my own a bit? 

Yes, I know it's only two classes, but I also work full-time, and I usually spend about three times longer doing homework than other people have to.  I just do everything slowly, I'm afraid.   =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Learning Java, should I take a class?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 06:12:21 PM »
I'd take the class.  Is java your first programming language, or do you code in other things right now?

I've always learned things much better from a good instructor then from a book, though.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 06:52:48 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to say anything about that.  I took a couple of programming classes in the mid-nineties, when I was a Comp. Sci. major.  FORTRAN, I think.  I did a little javaScript and visual basic last semester. 

But, no, as a matter of course, I don't "code" much of anything. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 07:16:21 PM »
The basics of programming are pretty much the same across languages.  Once you know how to do one well, you can (should be able to) jump in and self teach another language.

But afer ~15 years ...  =| 

Probably good idea to start over.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 07:58:23 PM »
Is Java really that hard to learn?  Should I just drop, and take it next semester, after I've studied on my own a bit?  
IMHO, Java is pretty easy to learn as far as programming languages go. It does a lot to prevent you from coding yourself into a dark corner. I also think Java code just reads easier to new people (less cryptic). There is a reason many schools teach it as a first language, and it's not to be sadistic.  ;)

That said, I walked into Java having taught myself C++ some years before. Considering that syntacticly Java and C++ have a crap ton of similarities, my situation wasn't quite the same as yours. I walked out of the class with a +100%.  :P

THAT said, I also saw some fairly dim people do well in the class, walking in with absolutely no coding experience at all. Judging by your posts over the years, I doubt you'll have any trouble with the knowledge. I (and probably several others on this board) can help if needed.

Workload wise, I just can't say. My Java class was very easy to me. Maybe 3 hours a week of homework/reading on average. Keep in mind, too, that later assignments often can reuse code you've written, at least in part.

EDIT: Just to be clear, is this course described as an "intro to programming" course? Or is it a "Java for programmers" kind of course?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:05:19 PM by Nightfall »
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 08:54:31 PM »
It's introductory. 

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »
It's introductory. 

Should be pretty easy, then, particularly if you already have some programming experience.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 09:24:04 PM »
Yeah, take it. You'll probably find it too easy.  =)
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 09:26:44 PM »
Java is fine until you get into GUI. C++ is a bit simpler and doesn't include a GUI component.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 10:03:38 PM »
Funny story.  The course description in the course catalog said that the class would cover Unix and C++.  But it turns out the class is all about Java.  I asked the prof what had happened to Unix and C, and he had no idea they were still in the course description, as they had switched from C to Java several years ago, and also dropped the Unix portion of the course.  He mistook my confusion for disappointment, and kept apologizing that we would not be using C.  Now if I drop the course, he'll think I just had my heart set on C.   :lol:

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 02:36:09 AM »
You should be fine, especially in an introductory class.  We'll help you if need be.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 09:33:31 AM »
IMHO, Java is pretty easy to learn as far as programming languages go. It does a lot to prevent you from coding yourself into a dark corner. I also think Java code just reads easier to new people (less cryptic). There is a reason many schools teach it as a first language, and it's not to be sadistic.  ;)

My freshman year, I took a C++ class.  I learned the hard way that at the time, hard drives apparently did not have any physical protection to prevent the head from attempting to write to sector -1....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 10:42:28 AM »
I'll recommend a box of dynamite.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »
My freshman year, I took a C++ class.  I learned the hard way that at the time, hard drives apparently did not have any physical protection to prevent the head from attempting to write to sector -1....

Oooh, the proverbial "out of bounds" error  =D

That's why real men code in C++  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 02:00:21 PM »
Life is too short to manually allocate memory.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 04:38:41 PM »
Life is too short to manually allocate memory.

Well, there are those pesky arrays ;)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 05:00:41 PM »
As someone that cleans up after programmers, please, take a class on programming theory and fundamentals if you are going to be doing this professionally at all.

To use an analogy you all will understand, many programmers are self taught, or learn by watching others.
Can you imagine how dangerous it'd be if a majority of gun enthusiests learned this way?  You'd be muzzle swept, see plenty of people shooting with out eye and ear protection, and other dangerous things.

You can be a really good shot while neglecting many of these basics that are very important.

Programming is the same.  You can learn by yourself, and end up doing things that shoot yourself in the foot by testing conditions the wrong way, muzzle sweeping by declaring the wrong kinds of variables, and other things.
It's best to avoid these bad habits as early as possible.

@Ambulancedriver, hardware is a lot more forgiving these days.  Most modern operating systems won't let programs directly access hardware just those reasons.

EDIT: Fixing a spelling mistake that would have annoyed Art' Grammaw if she saw it :)
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 05:34:06 PM »
Oh, I know Nitrogen.  I just found it amusing (in a *HOLY CRAP!!!!* kind of way) that by typing a zero instead of a 1, I was able to destroy a hard drive.

And yes, thankfully, you can't do that anymore (at least not accidentally).

Granted, I do have to say that the bemused expression on my CS prof when I explained to him what happened *was* kinda funny.... 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 07:52:06 PM »
Can you imagine how dangerous it'd be if a majority of gun enthusiests learned this way?  You'd be muzzle swept, see plenty of people shooting with out eye and ear protection, and other dangerous things.
The majority of gunnies do learn that way.  :P

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 08:21:56 PM »
The other course is in Java, and I have also been told that this class requires a lot of homework.

The homework assignments in intro level courses can last 15 minutes if you know what you're doing or 6 hours if you can't wrap your head around it.  The amount of work required is very dependent on the student.

You probably won't gain much by taking the class but you've got to plow through it sometime.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 08:27:49 PM »
Leraning how to program is much more important than learning any particular programming language.

If it's a course on programming that just happens to use Java, then by all means take it.  If it's just a course on the Java language, then it's probably not worth the time.  Java is one of the easiest languages to learn, so taking a course purely for the sake of learning that language probably isn't worth it.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 08:45:29 PM »
It's a course on object-oriented programming, but for info systems.  I.e; it's aimed more at business majors than computer scientists.  I'm neither one, of course.   =)

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 10:27:11 PM »
Leraning how to program is much more important than learning any particular programming language.

If it's a course on programming that just happens to use Java, then by all means take it.  If it's just a course on the Java language, then it's probably not worth the time.  Java is one of the easiest languages to learn, so taking a course purely for the sake of learning that language probably isn't worth it.

This
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 11:59:06 PM »
Well, today was my last day to drop without being charged.  And drop I did.  Maybe later. 

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 09:34:56 AM »
Wuss
Charles Babbage