Author Topic: Crash Test - Old vs New  (Read 6261 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Crash Test - Old vs New
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:11:33 AM »
Institute for Highway Safety comparison of an 09 Malibu and a '59 Bel Air in a head on crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Crash Test - Old vs New
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 11:27:40 AM »
Is this the one where they essentially say bel air guy is borked and Malibu dude limps away with a bruise on his knee?

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 12:15:36 PM »
Unpossible. Everyone knows if an old, big car hits a new, small, car, the new, small car will be turned into a singularity.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 12:29:23 PM »
I know for the children but I just want to cry seeing that '59 destroyed, all just for the sake of science.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 12:46:35 PM »
Unpossible. Everyone knows if an old, big car hits a new, small, car, the new, small car will be turned into a singularity.

I just find modern passenger compartment engineering to be fascinating. Both vehicles look like they take the same damage up to the firewall, but then it just keeps going on the Bel Air. Also passenger restraints and passive protection.

Before it was even the law, I always wore my seatbelt in the '71 Mach 1 I had in High School because it just made sense, but when you compare that hip belt protection to the passenger protection in a modern vehicle, it's almost like, why bother? :)

Edit: I should rephrase to "it looks like they take the same damage up to the firewall". I know that the force is being distributed differently.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 12:48:10 PM »
Fuzzy dice vs airbags...

What's that curb feeler looking thing sticking out of the driver side wheel well of the '59?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 12:49:37 PM »
I just find modern passenger compartment engineering to be fascinating. Both vehicles look like they take the same damage up to the firewall, but then it just keeps going on the Bel Air. Also passenger restraints and passive protection.

Before it was even the law, I always wore my seatbelt in the '71 Mach 1 I had in High School because it just made sense, but when you compare that hip belt protection to the passenger protection in a modern vehicle, it's almost like, why bother? :)

A hip belt snapped my spine in an accident 25ish years ago- its might actually be safer to not wear one.

Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »
Fuzzy dice vs airbags...

What's that curb feeler looking thing sticking out of the driver side wheel well of the '59?

The thingummy at the rear wheel?  It's part of the crash testing stuff.

BTW - did anybody else notice the about of dirt and dust coming out from behinf the Bel Aire's front wheel wells?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 02:02:18 PM »
"BTW - did anybody else notice the about of dirt and dust coming out from behinf the Bel Aire's front wheel wells?"

First generation energy absorption system...

Or bad car washing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 02:09:36 PM »
Or 50 years of dust, dirt, and dander getting caught in there.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »
Not that I want to see one destroyed, but I wonder how a 64-66 Chrysler imperial would do.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 05:59:58 PM »
I know for the children but I just want to cry seeing that '59 destroyed, all just for the sake of science.

It's a 4 door, smash all the 4 doors.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 06:01:28 PM »
I'll stick with these new fangled vehicles and their fancy schmancy air bags.  Rear ended, while stopped, by a Chevy HHR doing 50 and knocked into an oncoming truck.  I walked away with a sore neck.  That wouldn't have happened in my first car, a 1963 Chevelle.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 10:11:51 AM »
I'll stick with these new fangled vehicles and their fancy schmancy air bags.  Rear ended, while stopped, by a Chevy HHR doing 50 and knocked into an oncoming truck.  I walked away with a sore neck.  That wouldn't have happened in my first car, a 1963 Chevelle.

But you can't make a pimptastic Donk out of a 09 malibu.

Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 10:32:18 AM »
Or 50 years of dust, dirt, and dander getting caught in there.

Which, to me, raises the question of whether its frame was actually roadworthy.  50 years with old road salt on it will make almost any piece of steel into lacework.  Build a '59 to factory spec with fresh metal and try it again.

Personally, when I see all occupants of a diesel locomotive liquified by a high speed collision with a subcompact, I'll stop believing that heavy and strong is better protection.  OTOH, I still prefer agility and good driver training to avoid most collisions in the first place.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 11:43:12 AM »
Which, to me, raises the question of whether its frame was actually roadworthy.  50 years with old road salt on it will make almost any piece of steel into lacework.  Build a '59 to factory spec with fresh metal and try it again.

Personally, when I see all occupants of a diesel locomotive liquified by a high speed collision with a subcompact, I'll stop believing that heavy and strong is better protection.  OTOH, I still prefer agility and good driver training to avoid most collisions in the first place.

Except a '59 Bel Air and a 2009 Malibu are within 100-150lbs in weight- the crash test is actually a pretty good apples to apples comparison.

Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 11:52:49 AM »
Except a '59 Bel Air and a 2009 Malibu are within 100-150lbs in weight- the crash test is actually a pretty good apples to apples comparison.

Plus, while mass matters, mass only accounts for so much. Part of this is the engineering of how the energy is absorbed and distributed.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 12:11:51 PM »
Plus, while mass matters, mass only accounts for so much. Part of this is the engineering of how the energy is absorbed and distributed.

Which, again, could be significantly effected by a rusty frame rail, or even a worn out engine mount that gives way instead of adding to the rigidity of the front end.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 12:25:58 PM »

;/

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 01:01:32 PM »
Which, again, could be significantly effected by a rusty frame rail, or even a worn out engine mount that gives way instead of adding to the rigidity of the front end.

Yea yea yea......just give me an M1A1 Abrahms Tank so I can drive over all you  slow poke jackwagons!
 >:D

(Just kidding! :angel: )
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 01:56:03 PM »
Yea yea yea......just give me an M1A1 Abrahms Tank so I can drive over all you  slow poke jackwagons!

But it's so big, heavy and stiff you'll be vaporized if you hit a Vespa.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 01:59:30 PM »

The point is that you don't want a rigid front end. No point in having it take zero damage if it transfers the energy to your squishy body.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 02:01:01 PM »
"Build a '59 to factory spec with fresh metal and try it again."

And it would still look like it caught the wrong end of a meteor.

Read this for more information.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/18/more-details-about-1959-bel-air-crash-test/?_r=0

Of course, in the comments, the conspiracy theorists are just freaking the hell out....

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 02:06:17 PM »
Good images here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/26/pics-aplenty-iihs-reveals-before-and-after-of-malibu-bel-air-cr/

And more information here:

http://jalopnik.com/5364071/yes-the-iihs-crashed-59-chevy-had-an-engine

And, despite all that, I'm sure the retardo-monkeys are still screaming "NO ENGINE! BODY PANELS MADE OF AMERICAN CHEEZE! CRASH TEST DUMMY WAS DEAD BEFORE HE WAS PUT IN THE CAR!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 02:16:59 PM »
Good images here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/26/pics-aplenty-iihs-reveals-before-and-after-of-malibu-bel-air-cr/

And more information here:

http://jalopnik.com/5364071/yes-the-iihs-crashed-59-chevy-had-an-engine

And, despite all that, I'm sure the retardo-monkeys are still screaming "NO ENGINE! BODY PANELS MADE OF AMERICAN CHEEZE! CRASH TEST DUMMY WAS DEAD BEFORE HE WAS PUT IN THE CAR!"

I love the comment from the guy claiming they planted shaped charges timed to go off on impact, and also used "thermate".  :laugh: