Author Topic: Tornado through my neighborhood  (Read 2454 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Tornado through my neighborhood
« on: October 24, 2017, 04:17:25 AM »
A tornado passed through our neighborhood in Hickory, NC yesterday afternoon.  We lost some of our big trees, lots of branches down, and power will be out for a day or three. Family and house is okay.
The airport and ballpark on the other side of the hill took a big hit.
Sirens all over the place for a couple of hours as emergency services responded.
More to follow in a few days.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Tornado through my neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 08:31:53 AM »
Stay safe man. That storm was friggin nasty down this way also.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 05:27:09 PM »
So, you're saying your subject should have been "Tornado tore through my neighborhood"?

Glad you came out okay.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:12:15 PM »
Well, that blows.

Glad you're in one piece.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 10:55:53 PM »
Well, that blows.

Glad you're in one piece.

You must be twisted to make a joke about this!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 11:13:44 PM »
You must be twisted to make a joke about this!

Depends on if you spin it right.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »
Making sick jokes over my misfortune.

I love it.   :laugh:   =D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 09:27:55 AM »
The government is sending assistance.

However, because you lazy bastards can't sit back and expect the government to do everything for you, you'll need to cross out hurricane and write in tornado yourselves.

And everyone gets a 10 out of 10 for participating.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 01:16:24 PM »
I am glad to here the your family is okay.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 08:28:19 PM »
Making sick jokes over my misfortune.

I love it.   :laugh:   =D

Just trying to alleviate some of the pain that seems to hover over you like a dark cloud.   Well, perhaps "hover" is not the word...
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 08:53:43 PM »
It's got me all twisted up. I'm gonna get me some of that guvmint handouts Mike tole me about.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 11:56:52 AM »
Tied my genset into the main panel and isolated it from the line side, and used that to power the house for four days.  We had sufficient power to run everything except AC and the water heater.
City power was restored Thursday afternoon.  Internet service back online Friday morning.  That first hot shower in four days sure felt good.  Everyone was standing upwind from me the last couple of days.
The tornado was confirmed as an EF2.  After looking at the pattern of the trees that fell in the area, it looks like we were on the eastern periphery of the twister.  It was interesting to see the change in wind direction as the tornado passed by.

The two trees we lost are in the image foreground.  There are several more large trees down in area just behind our fallen trees.  That is the property of our late neighbor behind our house.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
One of the reasons we lost power is shown in this image.  A tree across the street fell across a branch of the main feeder for our area. There were at least three other branches of that power feed damaged elsewhere in the area.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 01:26:00 PM »
Looks like you got lucky and was just missed.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 07:05:24 PM »
I've been around several tornadoes in my life.  Got chased down the road in Kentucky when I was a kid on a family trip and my dad just managed to find a side road and get out of the way.   Nearly got killed in one on Palm Sunday 1965.  Blew our police cruiser off the road as we were trying to warn people.  Guy in the car in front of us was killed.  I don't like tornadoes or big wind of any kind.  I get really jumpy.  Count your blessings.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 09:46:42 PM »
Looks like you got lucky and was just missed.

Quote from grampster:
I've been around several tornadoes in my life.  Got chased down the road in Kentucky when I was a kid on a family trip and my dad just managed to find a side road and get out of the way.   Nearly got killed in one on Palm Sunday 1965.  Blew our police cruiser off the road as we were trying to warn people.  Guy in the car in front of us was killed.  I don't like tornadoes or big wind of any kind.  I get really jumpy.  Count your blessings.

My wife and I were blessed.  The good Lord was watching over us Monday, and we have given thanks.
I ran a Skywarn group in El Paso County, CO many years ago.  Also chased storms in various midwest states during that time.  I've been through any number of severe storms and have seen several tornadoes, some pretty close.  This is the first one that has ever come close to me and mine when I couldn't get out of its way.  

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 06:53:25 AM »
I'm glad you and yours escaped harm and that your property is more intact than not.
What's a little BO when it comes to survival, right?
In your first pic, how close is the top of that big uprooted tree on the right to the house?
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 05:41:29 PM »
A little BO is easy to handle.  I just put a dumb look on my face and act oblivious about why folks are standing upwind.  =D
I've not measured that distance, LadySmith, but would estimate 50 feet.  If those two trees had fallen when the wind was westerly off the back side of the tornado, they would have landed right on my house.  We were lucky as they fell when the tornado was approaching and the wind was southerly.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 08:45:32 AM »
Wow. In that case, I second this emotion:
My wife and I were blessed.  The good Lord was watching over us Monday, and we have given thanks.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 08:54:59 AM »
"A little BO is easy to handle."

I used to think that.

Then I met Jamis...  [barf] [barf] [barf]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 04:14:40 PM »
Glad you're okay after this.

We had one a couple years ago that tracked within a mile of my house (probably more like a half mile).  That doesn't sound close, but there was still damage.  No government involved.  The electricity was out. I expected a lengthy electrical outage....

The funny thing was that after I checked the neighborhood for serious damage.  I headed to Walmart to buy gas cans for my generator and fill all 5 (5 gallon cans) along with the one large one I had.  Did all that and got home... the power was back on. =)
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »
Slingshot, all five of my gas cans were already full from when we expected the remnants of Irma to come through the area.  That's why our power stayed out for three days after the tornado.   ;)

edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:19:38 PM by RocketMan »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »
Slingshot lamented:

I headed to Walmart to buy gas cans for my generator and fill all 5 (5 gallon cans) along with the one large one I had.  Did all that and got home... the power was back on. smiley

That's called the PON effect.  Perversity Of Nature.

Similar:  You misplace something, you look for it with every tool at your command, flashlights, magnets, hand vacuum with a new filter, small children, appeals to St. Anthony, finally you give up and go buy another one.

You come back home from the store with your replacement "lost thing," you open the door, you step inside, and  you trip over the old, lost one.

PON

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 03:48:12 AM »
"A little BO is easy to handle."

I used to think that.

Then I met Jamis...  [barf] [barf] [barf]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Isn't everything about him little?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 08:40:52 AM »
"Knock not that ye not be knocked."
Matt 7:1-3 KJV
 [popcorn]

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.