Author Topic: US Airways, part I  (Read 2400 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: US Airways, part I
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2007, 03:35:04 PM »
I try to avoid landing at military bases.  They aren't very friendly if you don't have a reservation.

As for the airstairs, I've used them plenty of times.  Several of the airports that I fly to only have airstairs available; no jetways are installed.  You're right, they are simple to use and most passengers don't mind.

The problem with using jetways is with the number of extra ground personnel required to watch the customers while they deplane.  If the passengers aren't watched, they will wander off where ever they please, and probably light-up a cigarette on the way.  Many people are oblivious to the dangers of walking around an airport with their heads up and locked.  Some airports, especially those that have dedicated airstairs, have desiganted walkways marked on the ramp so fewer ground personnel are required to watch the passengers.  But unless the airport has a procedure in place for handling passengers via airstairs, then the airstairs probably won't be used.

Another issue with airstairs is the ever present FAA.  The FAA makes the rules that the airports, airlines, and crews have to follow.  The FAA also decides who gets fined when the rules are broken.  Now, consider how much red tape one has to jump through just to do things the right way and you will see why most people are hesitant to bend the rules even when safety isn't an issue.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: US Airways, part I
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 11:06:40 AM »

I try to avoid landing at military bases.  They aren't very friendly if you don't have a reservation.

The guy I took my flight instruction from liked to tell a story about his forced landing at a base.  Even under a declared emergency (fuel leak) they were downright hostile and all but ordered him to land on the road in front of the air base instead of their nice big runway.

He was darn lucky.  The leak ended up being a fitting he could tighten with a pair of pliers (they wouldn't even lend him a wrench!) so he could limp it to the nearest shop for a certified repair.  No telling what kind of rigamarole it would have been to get a civilian A&P on base for a more extensive repair.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB