Author Topic: ABC David Brooks on Palin & her fans: "Frankly, it's trailer trash" & "wacko"  (Read 8327 times)

wacki

• friend
Check out ABC's This Week:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek

Click on "WATCH: The Roundtable: Palin Post Convention"

Fast forward to -7:12 to see David Brooks calling us trailer trash.  In David Brooks defense he seems to be quoting emails.  However, David Brooks has an op-ed in The New York Times which states the same:

And, of course, the whole thing became enmeshed in the clichés of red-blue: the supposed conflict between the condescending media elites and the gun-owning trailer trash, between abortion-rights urban women with one kid and anti-abortion rural women with five.

At this point he can no longer hide behind anonymous emails.

NYT article syndicated by Speigel:
DAVID BROOKS http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,576443,00.html"" target="_blank">A Glimpse of the New 09/05/2008

Question:  Anyone know what word David Brooks uses before "wacko"?  I have a difficult time hearing it.

Standing Wolf

• friend
I'm so glad to have been put in my proper place by my social betters.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

MicroBalrog

• friend
You don't want to know how the Israeli media describe Palin. You seriously don't.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wacki

• friend
You don't want to know how the Israeli media describe Palin. You seriously don't.

Actually, I do.  I would have thought they would be pro-palin given Obama's history.  I guess my intuition is wrong...

MicroBalrog

• friend

Actually, I do.

Okay. From today's paper:

"The choice of the ultra-conservative Sara Palin as the VP has given the religious conservative wing of the party reason to mobilize, as expressed in their enthusiasm at the convention. Her combative, cynical, maddening speech, in which she called the Republican Right to stand in the battle for the Faith, the Flag, and Morality against the hated 'liberal heretics'..."

"It is in the economic area that the weakness of his choice is shown. Given McCain's lack of knowledge of economics and his reliance of old and failed Republican recipes, the fact that a VP lacking any competence in any of the issues that bother the average American has been chosen cries out to the very Heavens."

"All that while Obama, who is very knowledgeable in this field,already holds the advantage over McCain in the economic field."
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Waitone

• friend
Wow!  Any idea who handles kool aid shipments overseas?  Someone is making a mint.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

HankB

• friend
OK, so the Israeli media is like much of the American media - in the tank for Obama so thoroughly that they're not even pretending to be objective any more, and great at fabrication, distortion, and outright lies.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
If you think the media here is biased to the left, I have heard the European and overseas media is much worse.  I am sure most any plain libertarian conservative would be called Ultra Right Wing overseas.

I guess I have had people suggest I reset my home page to overseas Yahoo pages or English written news pages to see the difference. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
Gun owning trailer trash, huh?

Sorry, David. I'm doing quite a bit better than that. The guns are there so that, unlike cringing sheep like him, if Bad Things Happen, I can protect those I care about if someone dares invade my home, and KEEP what I have when the police can't come but the looters can.

To me, "trash" are the weak liberals who would instead cringe and hide as a home invader has their way with their family, wondering why the police did not magically appear to save them.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Check out ABC's This Week:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek

Click on "WATCH: The Roundtable: Palin Post Convention"

Fast forward to -7:12 to see David Brooks calling us trailer trash.  In David Brooks defense he seems to be quoting emails.  However, David Brooks has an op-ed in The New York Times which states the same:

And, of course, the whole thing became enmeshed in the clichés of red-blue: the supposed conflict between the condescending media elites and the gun-owning trailer trash, between abortion-rights urban women with one kid and anti-abortion rural women with five.

At this point he can no longer hide behind anonymous emails.

NYT article syndicated by Speigel:
DAVID BROOKS http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,576443,00.html"" target="_blank">A Glimpse of the New 09/05/2008

Question:  Anyone know what word David Brooks uses before "wacko"?  I have a difficult time hearing it.

"Creationist wacko"

Brooks is the NYT's pet conservative.  To be come the token conservative at the NYT, he has for years been embarassed to hold such positions.

Culturally, Brooks is of a part with his NYT buddies, not flyover country Americans.  Just read his book, "Bobos in Paradise."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: ABC David Brooks on Palin & her fans: "Frankly, it's trailer trash" & "wacko"
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 05:41:09 AM »
The Left must be really running scared and desperate  rolleyes

I think this is all going to backfire on them.  That's the way to win an election: insult about 60% of the country  angry
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Silver Bullet

• friend
Re: ABC David Brooks on Palin & her fans: "Frankly, it's trailer trash" & "wacko
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 05:49:32 AM »
gun-owning trailer trash

Derogatory remarks about "rednecks", "trailer trash", and Deliverance references, etc.,  are just another form of racism.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: ABC David Brooks on Palin & her fans: "Frankly, it's trailer trash" & "wacko
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 05:52:36 AM »
gun-owning trailer trash

Derogatory remarks about "rednecks", "trailer trash", and Deliverance references, etc.,  are just another form of racism.

But acceptable racism, because it's permitted by white guilt.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: ABC David Brooks on Palin & her fans: "Frankly, it's trailer trash" & "wacko"
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 07:42:27 AM »
These guys just keep digging the hole BHO started.

McCain might be able to sleep his way to the White House if BHO's minions don't wise up.

The weird part is that these are not random things they are saying. Its part of an organized effort from BHO campaign operatives.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 08:34:50 AM »
Gun owning trailer trash bitterly clinging to God, gun, and xenophobia...... wow, are they really so oblivious they think this will help them?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 08:37:45 AM »
All they're saying is what they truly believe.

The "clueless" people need to be protected from themselves by the elites and a nanny government.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 08:40:34 AM »

The "clueless" people need to be protected from themselves by the elites and a nanny government.

But aren't the dems supposed to be these slick masters of manipulation and clever lies? They just keep blatantly insulting most Americans. Weird.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 08:45:49 AM »

But aren't the dems supposed to be these slick masters of manipulation and clever lies? They just keep blatantly insulting most Americans. Weird.

Perhaps now they think that the people are too dumb to notice, and will worship Obama anyway.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 09:10:44 AM »
"The choice of the ultra-conservative Sara Palin as the VP has given the religious conservative wing of the party reason to mobilize, as expressed in their enthusiasm at the convention. Her combative, cynical, maddening speech, in which she called the Republican Right to stand in the battle for the Faith, the Flag, and Morality against the hated 'liberal heretics'..."
"It is in the economic area that the weakness of his choice is shown. Given McCain's lack of knowledge of economics and his reliance of old and failed Republican recipes, the fact that a VP lacking any competence in any of the issues that bother the average American has been chosen cries out to the very Heavens."
"All that while Obama, who is very knowledgeable in this field,already holds the advantage over McCain in the economic field."

Palin's a Governor.  She knows plenty about real nuts-and-bolts economics.

Obama is very knowledgeable about economics?  I have yet to hear Obama say anything about economics that made a whit of sense.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

ONE-SHOT-ONE

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 11:10:50 AM »
2 points, one of wich will probably get me in trouble.

1. if you want to know how much B.H.O. knows about ecomomics just ask tony resco.
2. i can not figure out all the talk about race in this election, B.H.O. is not black or multi racial.
   he is just full of crap..... laugh

Umber

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 04:37:55 AM »
Stuff like this makes me want to buy a couple of trailers and have them set up on the front forty.  According to the left wing loons I'd need one to hold my guns / ammo / bibles and the other to house my brood of "one-toothed" kids and my first cousin wife.

I believe Manedwolf is right.  The left does believe that, no matter how often they insult the less educated and less affluent members of their party, it will be okay.  After all, trailer trash would never jump ship and vote McCain / Palin... 'cause they're just not smart enough.

I think they're about to learn a lesson. cheesy

Umber

onebigelf

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 06:12:07 AM »

Urrrrr?

Obama is an economic guru?

Who knew!

John

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 06:24:47 AM »
Obama's idea of "economics" is to take from the productive and move assets to the groups he favors.  That this is now considered "economics," by anyone, shows how far off the tracks this country has gone.  He has no interest in growing the economy, much less an understanding of how that really happens.  He just wants to make sure the "guilty" are punished.  Obama is far more "religious" than Palin could ever hope to be--and not in a good way.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 06:35:41 AM »
gun-owning trailer trash

But acceptable racism, because it's permitted by white guilt.
That has always struck me the same way.  There's almost a template:

"There's [insert race] folk, and then there's [racist slur].  I like [insert race] folk, but I can't stand [racist slur]."
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

nate.45

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 09:08:59 AM »
I'm not pro David Brooks and I'm certainly not pro Obama, however lets closely examine Book's statement.

I think it is fairly obvious by the tone and content of the media articles and statements made by Obama supporters and conversely the counter statements made by Palin supporters. That the whole thing did devolve into the use of stereotypes and clichés. Many on the left do perceive 'Palin types' that way and of course most people on the right view many leftists and certainly the media as out of touch elitists.
忍者