Author Topic: The New Libertarian Century  (Read 2052 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
The New Libertarian Century
« on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »

The New Libertarian Century
By Kelse Moen

At the Republican National Convention, while Sen. Joe Lieberman yukked it up about the absurdity of a pro-war, Keynesian Democrat like him hanging out with a bunch of pro-war, Keynesian Republicans, an authentically conservative convention was being held simultaneously only a few miles away.

The event was Rep. Ron Pauls Rally for the Republic. Paul ran a contrarian campaign for the Republican nomination this year on a platform of individual liberty, a foreign policy of non-interventionism, a gold-backed monetary system, and a return to constitutional government. That message brought 12,000 libertarians, constitutionalists, hippies, Burkeans, pot-smokers, gun-owners, homeschoolers, anarchists and me to fill up the Target Center in downtown Minneapolis for a celebration of that one thing we could all agree on: that we each have the inalienable right to live however we want.

It would be hard to find a more striking contrast between Pauls convention and the RNC. The latter was never anything more than a rehearsed recitation of talking points impressive only for their monumental vapidity.

Conversely, the Rally for the Republic was one big cauldron of good-natured disagreement. And its audience was remarkably informed  the mere mention of the Austrian theory of the business cycle led to an eruption of applause. The loudest boos came not from vague allusions to the opposition but from any mention of the Federal Reserve. Meanwhile, the most substantive thing to come out of the RNC was Gov. Sarah Palins distinction between a hockey mom and a pit bull.

The culmination of the day was Ron Pauls speech. It was nothing I hadnt heard before  but what made this such a powerful event was the audience, the 12,000 people who burst into applause as Paul took the stage.

For years, libertarians have tried to construct a coherent movement to fight for their ideals. They created the Libertarian Party, which today exists only as a parody of itself. Attempts to form an alliance with the anti-war left during the 1960s and the Buchananite right during the 1990s came to nothing.

But now with the emergence of Ron Paul, a tangible movement is taking shape. It is not like the cult of personality that surrounds Barack Obama; it is a movement based not on the man himself but on the principles for which he stands.

The so-called American Century belonged to the likes of John McCain and Barack Obama  collectivist politicians eager to extend the coercive arm of government into every nook and cranny both at home and abroad. Yet the American spirit belongs to Ron Paul and his supporters.

Theirs is the dont-tread-on-me populism of the Founding Fathers, of Robert Taft and Sinclair Lewis and the America First Committee.

They are the true heirs of John McCains slogan, country first: they are the ones who would rather focus on South Dakota than South Ossetia. They are more concerned with Main Street than the Green Zone, but they do this as neighbors, not masters.

Their message is simple: come home, America. They are begging the country in general and the Republicans in particular to reject the philosophy of death and taxes that defined the 20th century and to allow for the traditional American philosophy of freedom and community to define the 21st.

After the hundred years of statism that began with William McKinley and culminated with George W. Bush, it is easy to be pessimistic. But coming out of the Target Center, I plainly saw that the flame of liberty has been dimmed but not extinguished. Perhaps Ron Paul and his supporters still have a fighting chance.

Kelse Moen is a College senior from Sharon, Mass. He is president of the College Republicans.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: The New Libertarian Century
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
From all unbiased reports, the "12,000" was WAY WAY WAY off the mark. Half that. If even.

But then, science fiction nerd conventions with people in wookie suits worshipping aging stars from 80's shows and wearing Star Trek ears attract that many, too.

Doesn't make them any more relevant to mainstream society, or reality, either. Smiley

Can't imagine what the place smelled like. Tongue

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
12,000 tickets were sold, IIRC.

As for nerds - I worship Barbara Adams.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
From all unbiased reports, the "12,000" was WAY WAY WAY off the mark. Half that. If even.

But then, science fiction nerd conventions with people in wookie suits worshipping aging stars from 80's shows and wearing Star Trek ears attract that many, too.

Doesn't make them any more relevant to mainstream society, or reality, either. Smiley

Can you post a single thing about any RP supporters thats not derrogatory?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »

Can you post a single thing about any RP supporters thats not derrogatory?

Having been repeatedly annoyed by the local ones ruining things and causing trouble?

No, not really. They're troublemaking hippies who didn't get enough attention as children, the local ones.

The ones standing on a corner during a primary with Ron Paul and "9/11 was an inside job" signs during the primaries also annoyed me, because they made me AGREE WITH BILL CLINTON.

He said, to them, "Y'all are completely nuts."

I can't forgive a group for making me agree with something he said.

Oh, and also, here's something, I just searched for blog entries about it.

15,000 People chanting "END THE FED...END THE FED..."

It was surreal.

hahaha...i was yelling..."Kill the Fed..."....hahaha

Uh-huh.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Well I still think you're full of crap.  Labeling a movement based off a few wookie-costume-wearing-basement dwelling members is nearsighted.  I for one am a person who contributed to his campaign, albeit in small denominations, and a few of my very normal friends who just want to get some of thier freedom back did as well.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Well I still think you're full of crap.  Labeling a movement based off a few wookie-costume-wearing-basement dwelling members is nearsighted.  I for one am a person who contributed to his campaign, albeit in small denominations, and a few of my very normal friends who just want to get some of thier freedom back did as well.

That's what Palin is for.

Paul and the Paulians destroyed any cause they might have had through their own extremism and kookiness. They're now a punchline on the political scene, that's all. And that's just reality. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
I'm shutting this one down now because I feel the need to do some remedial baby sitting, which I simply don't have time for today.

Micro, you are free to repost the original message.

Manedwolf, if the only think you have to add is generally derogatory comments on RP and his supporters of the kind that you've added so far, and which are based on the local ones annoying you?

Sit the thread out.

And that is NOT a request.

Hint.

Hint.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.