Author Topic: New camcorder, what should I get  (Read 881 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
New camcorder, what should I get
« on: November 20, 2005, 12:01:45 PM »
I want to get a new camcorder.  I don't know diddle about what is out there these days.  What I want is ease of transfer to my pc and to DVD format.  Ideas on what type of format I should get?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 12:11:54 PM »
MiniDV with a firewire port.  If your PC doesn't have firewire (also known as IEEE 1394), get an add-on card.  If your PC doesn't have a DVD burner, get one of those as well.  You'll need software.  I've only used Pinnacle Studio.  It works fine and is easy to use.

I use a Canon camcorder, but I'm sure any of them are fine.  BTW, because many are so small, the microphone ends up too close to the motor that drives the camcorder.  You can pick up audible motor noise when filming quiet scenes.  If it becomes a problem, get an external mic.  You'll need a camcorder with an accessory mount and an external mic port.  Most have this.

There are camcorders that record directly to DVD, but at least when I got mine nearly 3 years ago, I was told that they were buggy and a glitch (common) could ruin the entire DVD.  I'm sure they've fixed it since then, but it's something to keep in mind.  The nice thing about MiniDV is that you can reuse the tapes after you download  the video onto your PC.

Chris

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 12:26:49 PM »
Ooh, ooh, ooh...can I play.  I bought a Sony DCR-PC55 earlier this year.  My problem was I needed something I would actually carry.  This thing will fit into cargo pockets with ease.  Make sure you get the optional light in case you need to video in the dark.  I use the editing software that came with my Firewire card from ULead.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=371630&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation