Author Topic: I may be a vegetarian...  (Read 2201 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
I may be a vegetarian...
« on: November 14, 2012, 11:21:34 AM »
In the sense that "vegetarian" is derived from an old Indian word for "bad hunter".  =D

I had an unexpected invitation to go hunting. Also unexpectedly, my wife decided to come along. So, we grabbed a 30-30 each and headed for the woods. In four days I saw a deer butt, and she saw nothing.

In the end, I am not all that disappointed. Spending time in the woods is fun in itself. And I got an invitation to come back for muzzleloader season.

Now, to improve my deer-finding skills...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: I may be a vegetarian...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 11:50:49 AM »
We had three does in our barn eating horse hay one evening a couple days ago.

As soon as I have time and daylight to gut, skin, and debone, I am going to return the favor  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 01:31:51 PM »
In the sense that "vegetarian" is derived from an old Indian word for "bad hunter".  =D

That's funny right there!

Around here, shooting deer is mostly done in self defense. ;) to prevent being run over
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 01:37:53 PM »

Most of it is patience and iron constitution to have a frozen butt.

Were you walking/stalking hunting or sitting and waiting?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 02:06:19 PM »
patience
Check
a frozen butt.
Check

Were you walking/stalking hunting or sitting and waiting?
Sitting and waiting.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »
So you need to improve your scouting skills.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 02:15:18 PM »
Deep woods? Edge? Open timber? Open field?

Uranus is a gas giant.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »
Middle of fairly dense woods. Can't see very far in them.

I did see spots where the deer turned over leaves and ate acorns, also saw some deer poop. I know the bastards were around there somewhere.

Robert A Heinlein

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »
Saw two mule deer in my driveway this morning.  Unfortunately, the neighbors frown upon hunting in the area.  "OMG!  You murdered Bambi!"

I did see spots where the deer turned over leaves and ate acorns, also saw some deer poop. I know the bastards were around there somewhere.

. . . laughing.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 02:47:34 PM »
Middle of fairly dense woods. Can't see very far in them.

Try to get out towards the edge or a large clearing. I have killed very very very few deer in deep timber (1 or 2 out of the 40+ I have killed), most of mine have been in really open woods or on the edge of fields/meadows.

Uranus is a gas giant.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 02:58:37 PM »
That's a little problematic, since the one edge of the property that doesn't border more woods comes out on a road. I've mostly stuck to old logging trails.

Robert A Heinlein

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 04:24:28 PM »
I have killed very very very few deer in deep timber (1 or 2 out of the 40+ I have killed), most of mine have been in really open woods or on the edge of fields/meadows.

That.

Deer are 'edge habitat' animals.
You want to find where they cross from woods/swamp/marsh into bean/corn/hay fields and post your butt there.
Deep woods/swamps is very tough hunting. You can look for intersections of major deer trails or a scrape, but it might take you a long time to pattern the deer movement through those areas, and those times might be at 10 at night.
You really can't 'stalk' them in areas like that either- they will almost always see you first.

If you have white oaks that are dropping their acorns, sit there.

Other than that, get to your stand at least an hour, (2 hrs would be better) before sun up and sit tight until after sun down. You won't be able to legally shoot during these hours, but you will spook a lot less deer.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »
get to your stand at least an hour, (2 hrs would be better) before sun up and sit tight until after sun down. You won't be able to legally shoot during these hours, but you will spook a lot less deer.

Except that you will be froze to death :(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 05:43:45 PM »
Except that you will be froze to death
You sort of get used to the cold after awhile, as long as its a 'dry' cold.

Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 07:12:41 PM »
You sort of get used to the cold after awhile, as long as its a 'dry' cold.

Yeah, once the shivering stops and you pass out.

Cold is okay as long as I'm active, but I can't sit around anymore - not ever with carhart coat and overalls, long johns, sorrels, etc :(

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 07:41:55 PM »
Cold is okay as long as I'm active, but I can't sit around anymore - not ever with carhart coat and overalls, long johns, sorrels, etc

I have that problem with 'hot.' I sweat constantly from the first day its over 50 degrees out until the day the frost comes back.

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 08:22:52 PM »
I have that problem with 'hot.' I sweat constantly from the first day its over 50 degrees out until the day the frost comes back.
i had a boss from Mexico once.  He wouldn't sweat unless it was 100+.  On the other hand, he would be shivering under 70 F.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 09:29:47 PM »
That's a little problematic, since the one edge of the property that doesn't border more woods comes out on a road. I've mostly stuck to old logging trails.

Legal to bait or use attractant?

Uranus is a gas giant.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 10:11:21 PM »
Legal to bait or use attractant?
No bait. Don't know about attractant.

Robert A Heinlein

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
3 Bucks in the yard this morning.  If there weren't other houses close by I'd invite you to come get them.  1 5x5, 1 4x5 and 1 4x3.  2 were born under the deck here and they come back all the time to visit.  I can't get them close enough yet to shoot them with a bow that I don't have.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 06:23:50 PM »
You really can't 'stalk' them in areas like that either- they will almost always see you first.

I stalk deer right after a 8-10" overnight snow fall. This usually only happens once out five years. When the weather shows a significant snow dump after midnight through mid morning I try to be in the woods during that last hour of the storm and try to find a spot where a top of a hill is lee of the wind (known bedding area) and wait for the deer to emerge from their beds under the snow. Last one I shot that way didn't even get a chance to shake the snow off its back.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 07:25:36 PM »
We've been seeing the same three does every day.

This weekend I'm planning to get some free-range organic venison fattened on organic horse hay from our barn  >:D

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 09:14:29 PM »
Aaaand...  I almost creamed two deer pulling out of the garage at work. Bastards. I think I need to go into the woods in my truck.

Robert A Heinlein