Author Topic: Freeland rail - what is it for and why is it even there?  (Read 889 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Freeland rail - what is it for and why is it even there?
« on: December 03, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »
The new rifle that I have almost put together has a stock that came with a funny rail inset into the forearm. Research tells me that this skinny thing is a Freeland rail. What I can't figure out is why it's there and what to do with it. Just about the only accessories I have found for it are handstops (which I'm not entirely sure how to use) and various converters to either a sling stud or Picatinny rail.

What's the deal?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

brimic

• friends
Re: Freeland rail - what is it for and why is it even there?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 03:52:17 PM »
My Savage 10FP has one of these, I think its a Freeland because I'm pretty sure its not a Anschutz rail.

You can order a rail adapter to add a sling swivel or a mounting point for a bipod.

Example: here's what I ordered for a choate stock:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/749685/choate-ultimate-sniper-and-varmint-stock-bipod-adapter-rail-steel-black

edit: Just noticed on your post that you outlined what they are used for:
Just about the only accessories I have found for it are handstops (which I'm not entirely sure how to use) and various converters to either a sling stud or Picatinny rail.

Yep- that's their purpose.....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama