Author Topic: Appliance question - washer  (Read 1559 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Appliance question - washer
« on: February 28, 2013, 01:30:35 AM »
What would make a washer not drain completely? About how expensive is that to fix?

There is a commercial washer up for sale real cheap that would be great for my parents rental property, but it has this problem.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

brimic

• friends
Re: Appliance question - washer
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 01:54:50 AM »
Bad pump?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:13:55 AM »
When you say drain completely... how completely?

My first guess would be the selonoid or switch that senses the water level in the tub and activates the pump.

If it were the pump, my guess is that it wouldn't drain at all, which is what happened to my Mother's washer just a few months ago. Pump failed and it was loaded with laundry and water.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 10:52:23 AM »
The other possibility is if there's a backflow valve that isn't working 100% and depending on how the drain pipe is situated it could have an outlet that's higher than the inner washing basin, and the last bit of the pipe when the washer is mostly empty and can't push more flows back in.

Although if this is a commercial washer, maybe they drain straight down and don't go "up and over" into a drain or a sink like residential ones do.

How much water are we talking?
I promise not to duck.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 11:19:16 AM »
About four inches of water is what's left.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 12:19:32 PM »
Does the drain pipe go up into a wall mounted drain or a washtub?

Like this?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/attachments/plumbing-piping/4327d1350175606-washing-machine-drain-2-machines-into-1-drain-37541d1317825496-plumbing-washer-vent-waste-discharge-washer-installation.gif

When it's like this, the washer can't empty the drain hose once the washtub is empty, because there's no more water to push the water already in the hose ahead of it, so that 2-3 feet of water in the hose will stay stagnant until the washer drains and pumps out it's water again. There should be a backflow valve in the pump or somewhere in the washer that prevents that water from getting back into the washer.

If it's a downward floor level drain that does not go up, and all draining is below or down from the washtub water level that remains, it's something else.

Or maybe the commercial washer is supposed to be all downward draining, but someone hooked it up like a residential washer like the picture?

Quick and dirty fix would be to route the washer to a floor drain and see if the excess water leaves after the wash cycle.
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 01:20:39 PM »
I'm thinking 4 inches of water is probably a lot more than 2 or 3 gallons...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 09:12:49 PM »
Time for a new one.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 10:14:20 PM »
But the maintenance costs are outrageous! :D

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 12:12:01 AM »
Get a model number for the washer and I'll have an idea about the the problem. It could be as simple as a duel belt Speed Queen or Maytag and the pump belt is worn out.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 12:10:03 PM »
Get a model number for the washer and I'll have an idea about the the problem. It could be as simple as a duel belt Speed Queen or Maytag and the pump belt is worn out.

jim
It is a Speed Queen. I'll see if I can get a number.

Robert A Heinlein