Author Topic: Opinions on a lock  (Read 1738 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Opinions on a lock
« on: April 03, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »
I've been poking around Amazon and came across this

http://www.amazon.com/All-Weather-Mechanical-Keyless-Deadbolt-Door/dp/B005KG6A0I/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Right now I have a Schlage deadbolt.

I'm not overly concerned about a professional breaking in. I also have a picture window next to the front door, which would be a pretty convenient entry point, anyway.

What do you think?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Opinions on a lock
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »
Paging RevDisk...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 06:12:40 PM »
Paging RevDisk...

I've considered this as a thread title, but I figured the word "lock" would get him out just the same.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:11:18 PM »
I've been poking around Amazon and came across this

http://www.amazon.com/All-Weather-Mechanical-Keyless-Deadbolt-Door/dp/B005KG6A0I/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Right now I have a Schlage deadbolt.

I'm not overly concerned about a professional breaking in. I also have a picture window next to the front door, which would be a pretty convenient entry point, anyway.

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp4LFuFCon0
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 07:46:34 PM »

Robert A Heinlein

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:50:48 PM »
That's going to look very funny in a sock.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 11:46:38 AM »
I think I need to page RevDisk again...

Robert A Heinlein

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 12:52:54 PM »
I have been summoned...

Distributed by Gino Development Inc. dba. Anaconda Universal Products Inc
http://www.anacondatools.com/servlet/the-1834/MECHANICAL-KEYLESS-DEADBOLT-LOCK/Detail

Looks like a generic, or possibly subcontracted Best BE2 lock cylinder and key pattern. Pattern might be Keyway A. Don't know for definite, but I've never heard of Anaconda or Lockey making their own pattern keys. Try a BE2 to see if it works.
http://www.bumpmylock.com/best-be2-bump-key.html

The normal looking model is a Lockey 2200 (Key Override) model.
http://www.lockeystore.com/servlet/the-28/lockey-2200KO%2C-lockey-lock%2C/Detail

As you can note, there are differences. "DIGITAL" is not present on the Anaconda model. The shoulders on the mechanical subsection are beveled on the Lockey model. The handle containing the cylinder is entirely different. The picture in the Amazon model, the handle is one unit. Notice the seem on the one on the Lockey web site.

Either the picture is wrong, it's an obsolete model (unlisted on their web sites) or it's a generic rip off of a Lockey.  My bet is the second or third option.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »
It does look like a Lockey knockoff.

How do you think this compares to a Schlage deadbolt?

I don't have any particular illusions to this standing up to any sort of serious force. It's a standard insulated door, the area where the lock is mounted is probably the weak point. Plus, there is that window next to it. I do like that it's battery-free.

Robert A Heinlein

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »
It does look like a Lockey knockoff.

How do you think this compares to a Schlage deadbolt?

I don't have any particular illusions to this standing up to any sort of serious force. It's a standard insulated door, the area where the lock is mounted is probably the weak point. Plus, there is that window next to it. I do like that it's battery-free.

No idea. It's essentially a no name generic.

Brinks, from Walmart, is surprisingly decent. About equal to Schlage. I'm generally not impressed with electronic or mechanical key code locks. Try to avoid Simplex locks. On the plus side, I opened a small pistol vault by manually brute forcing the combo.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »
Simplex? Are those the ones with 5 buttons that office buildings seem to like?

Robert A Heinlein