Author Topic: Any bike can be an adventure bike  (Read 793 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Any bike can be an adventure bike
« on: June 21, 2013, 09:28:41 PM »
We just got home. On the FJ. Through horizontal rain and water about knee deep.

We got caught not too far from home, there was no good place to hide, so going forward seemed like the better option.

It was absolutely insane, yet awesome.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch using Tapatalk 2
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Any bike can be an adventure bike
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
Of all the riding I've done over the last 35+ years it is the adverse conditions, the adventures, that are remembered the most. Either cold, torrential rain or extreme heat, bad roads, getting lost... the pleasant rides, while more enjoyable at the time, are seldom remembered years down the road.
It's all good though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 12:41:05 PM »
This was pretty amazing. I am mostly surprised that I actually made it through that, with a passenger, even. Here is the long version from a real keyboard:

The direct deposit did not come through and we had to run and get the paycheck for the Mrs.  We figured we would do a quick run there and back. It mostly worked. The rain started on the way back, but it was a regular rain, no big deal.

We stopped at a gas station, and as soon as we got done filling the tank the rain became torrential and the station went dark.

Figuring that getting wet sitting in place wasn't much different than getting wet moving we went. And then it got worse. The wind was blowing around rain to make it look like snow flurries. The stream of water down my back filled my underwear and started to fill the boots.

With boots full we got to the bridge. That wasn't too bad, except I couldn't see lanes. I think I was in a lane, but who knows. After the bridge I couldn't see a damn thing. All of a sudden the bike started steering real funny. I put my feet down, and something was not right. That's when I realized we are actually turning a corner in two feet of water.

I'm not exactly sure how I found the alley, I think it might have been some vestigial homing instinct. There was only about a foot of water there, and we pretended to be a jet ski all the way to our driveway, which is higher than the alley and therefore dry.

I'm sure glad the FJ is a tall bike and we didn't submerge the intakes. Were I to do this again, I think I'd like to have something more purpose-built...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 12:44:23 PM »
Were I to do this again, I think I'd like to have something more purpose-built...

Like a jet ski, that what it sounds like you needed! Glad you got home OK.

bob

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 07:50:28 PM »
Like a jet ski
Maybe I can just rig a couple of floats to the FJ...

=D

Robert A Heinlein

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 07:55:12 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Regolith

• friend
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth