Author Topic: And it's official - I failed again  (Read 7344 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
And it's official - I failed again
« on: August 11, 2013, 04:47:35 PM »
I haven't been to the gym in two and a half months. I lasted for about three months.

I am displeased with myself. Not entirely sure what to do about it. I've got to find a way to make this stuff interesting at least for long enough to see an effect...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: And it's official - I failed again
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »
I ended up falling in love with my bicycle again, took me a lot of various forms of exercise to find one I like. Maybe you just need to try a lot various things.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 05:16:12 PM »
Have you considered one of the 24-hr fitness centers and going at wierd off hours?  Or a smokin' hawt gym buddy?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 05:51:21 PM »
As the cliche goes, BTDT. I was going religiously every day or every other day from February 2009 through April of 2012. Then I bought a guitar, and that consumed all of my free time.

Now I'm finally getting back to it. I'm waiting until 11:30 pm, telling myself that I'm done practicing guitar for the day, then head to the gym. I'm just starting out with the treadmill, but will go to the weight machines.

Don't know about you, but if I find myself not wanting to go, I really force myself. I take the same attitude about it that I would any other chore I do that has to be done, and that I do.

I had some outside stimulus, though. I was in an amorous situation, and the young lady said, "boy, you're really sweating." That was the signal for me to get my butt back to the gym.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 06:35:12 PM »
I hate going to the gym, but a sport or other athletic pursuit has the same benefits and isn't a mind numbing chore.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 07:34:30 PM »
I hate going to the gym, but a sport or other athletic pursuit has the same benefits and isn't a mind numbing chore.

Agreed.

What did you like to do as a kid? Ride bikes? Run? Soccer? Football? Basketball? Taking your dog to the park and playing with him?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 02:13:52 AM »
I bought a house, really killed my gym time. Still trying to stay exercised, good thing is my job gets me some weight bearing exercise so I haven't lost much. Got a new plan though, not sure if I can pull it off. Have a white person midlife crisis without the crisis, hot young chick, or convertible. The most brutal 100 mile ultra east of the Mississippi runs through my backyard, I want to run it next year.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 05:34:20 AM »
My wife and I seem to be on the cycle of do good, get into a routine of going to the gym, and then life happens. Some family crap causes her to run out of town, one or both of our works goes crazy, she has a flair up of one of her issues, etc. etc. etc. BS.

I've come to the point of just saying *expletive deleted*ck it, and we're going to start doing a simple home routine with a couple free weights that wont take a large amount of time to go through so wont leave room for BS and excuses why we couldn't get to it that day. Not as good as actually getting out to the gym but it's better than apply ass to cushion all day.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 08:32:49 AM »
Exercise bike, History Channel, and fan blowing in face for an hour a day.  I might miss one day a week on that, and have been doing it for well over a year.  Wore out the pedals and had to replace them a few months back.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 09:50:06 AM »
You could buy a farm  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »
Have you considered one of the 24-hr fitness centers and going at wierd off hours?  
I have not. I wonder how their prices are compared to regular ones.

Or a smokin' hawt gym buddy?
I was in an amorous situation, and the young lady said, "boy, you're really sweating."

I like how you guys think. Let me run that one by my wife...  =D

What did you like to do as a kid? Ride bikes? Run? Soccer? Football? Basketball? Taking your dog to the park and playing with him?
I read books. :D
Seriously, I was a sickly nerd and never did anything sporty. I did ride a bike for transportation, though.

My wife and I seem to be on the cycle of do good, get into a routine of going to the gym, and then life happens. Some family crap causes her to run out of town, one or both of our works goes crazy, she has a flair up of one of her issues, etc. etc. etc. BS.
This.

If I had the money and knew something about it... I've killed a cactus with neglect.

I do have to say, I've been in some of the best of my physical shape ever when I fixed up my parents house. I dropped enough from my waist to fit a K-frame IWB.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 01:23:57 PM »
The best shape I've ever been in my life was about 20 years ago, when I reroofed my house.  The whole tear off, haul off, carry-bundles-of-shingles-up, etc. thing, by myself.  It was a large "ranch" style house (30 squares) with a hip roof and lots of valleys; It took me all summer, working on it every day after work, and on most weekends.  I'll never do that again, but I dropped about 30 or 40 pounds, could throw those 75 pound bundles around, and was as browner than a dark-skinned Mexican at the end of it.
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 01:30:17 PM »
I have not. I wonder how their prices are compared to regular ones.

Mine is $35 a month.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 03:44:09 PM »
I always wondered: Why is it that people pay money to go to a gym instead of getting paid to have a manual labor part-time job?  There's guilt/responsibility to not blow it off, you actually add value to the world, it's less monotonous, and you make some spending cash - all while burning calories.  I have to think it's cultural - college educated, white collar workers won't sink to being paid to burn calories, they must pay to burn them; then they are consumers of a service, which is far more socially acceptable.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 04:43:48 PM »
Wife said a hot workout partner is okay, provided I select from among the patrons of a specific local bar that is supposed to have lots of people interested in fitness. Turned out to be a gay bar.

=D

I always wondered: Why is it that people pay money to go to a gym instead of getting paid to have a manual labor part-time job? 
Like what?

I'm serious. What would be a part time job that wouldn't take prohibitive amounts of time?

Robert A Heinlein

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »
Like what?

I'm serious. What would be a part time job that wouldn't take prohibitive amounts of time?

Well, going from personal life experience: merchandise receiving for just about any retail store.  Often a second shift type position [with stocking being third shift], heavily manual labor unloading semi's, palatalizing the freight, and moving the skids to the store floor via pallet jack.  You would want to make your availability schedule known from the get go, and that those are rigid, fixed terms so you don't end up getting sucked into working more then you wanted to when there are "problems".

I worked 5hr/day, 3 nights a week at a Walmart for a few years.  Got about $100 take home per week, and a great workout.  At the time I was a poor student doing it for the money, however it always stuck in my head as being a rather good workout.  In the few years I worked that job, my upper body became notably stronger and I lost fat.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 05:44:15 PM »
If you like to read, an exercise bike is likely the only thing I can think of that allows you to read.  I guess an elyptical machine might work also. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 06:07:40 PM »
I always wondered: Why is it that people pay money to go to a gym instead of getting paid to have a manual labor part-time job?  There's guilt/responsibility to not blow it off, you actually add value to the world, it's less monotonous, and you make some spending cash - all while burning calories.  I have to think it's cultural - college educated, white collar workers won't sink to being paid to burn calories, they must pay to burn them; then they are consumers of a service, which is far more socially acceptable.

Um, because I can earn more than one month's gym membership in an hour of work in my job. 

And I've met plenty of outdoors workers who are in deplorable shape.  Outdoor work isn't always a guarantee to be anything besides hot, sweaty and dirty.

Gym partner helps.  Someone to keep you accountable.  Mine's a dude, though.

I mix my workouts.  I hate sitting on a treadmill, so I'd rather ride outside.  I do both traditional weights and active core weights (Cleans, lunges, medicine ball etc)
3-5 days a week.  I have my routine and I stick to it.
Actually cinching down my diet again.  Primarily, less to no beer  :'(
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 07:30:59 PM »
I would love to just take a 3 mile hike every day.  Not possible after my knee blew out.  Just be thankful you can opt NOT to exercise.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 07:56:34 PM »

I would guess that very few people think of that as an option. Besides, there are plenty of downsides to the job vs gym. The job will have less flexible hours. It won't let you go at your own pace. It won't be as understanding if you want a week off to go on vacation. Also, and I don't know how long most people spend at the gym, but I doubt most people want 4 or 5 hour workout sessions. Harder to fit in; more exhausting.

Besides, hot gym girls.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 09:59:25 PM »
Well, going from personal life experience: merchandise receiving for just about any retail store.  Often a second shift type position [with stocking being third shift], heavily manual labor unloading semi's, palatalizing the freight, and moving the skids to the store floor via pallet jack.  You would want to make your availability schedule known from the get go, and that those are rigid, fixed terms so you don't end up getting sucked into working more then you wanted to when there are "problems".

I worked 5hr/day, 3 nights a week at a Walmart for a few years.  Got about $100 take home per week, and a great workout.  At the time I was a poor student doing it for the money, however it always stuck in my head as being a rather good workout.  In the few years I worked that job, my upper body became notably stronger and I lost fat.

I had all sorts of physical jobs when I was younger, and was in good but skinny shape. I doubt today that a manager would let a 62 year-old take too many breaks because his back bothers him. That's probably why shipping and receiving departments don't hire too many 60-somethings. ;)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 01:45:32 AM »
Wife said a hot workout partner is okay, provided I select from among the patrons of a specific local bar that is supposed to have lots of people interested in fitness. Turned out to be a gay bar.

=D

I fear that the wife has misunderstood the concept of hawtness involved here.  That is unless she is describing the "gay bar" from her presumed sexual orientation, in which case you would most likely refer to it as a lesbian bar.

And a hawt lesbian gym buddy would perhaps be one of the most powerful motivators for you to get into a different shape than the one you are in currently.

For what it's worth, hanging out with the mostly lesbian strippers in Longmont, Colorado while attending an extended training program at the National Institute of Corrections facility was second only to dating the excommunicated nun in the "this will cause the guys to wonder what a shlub like you has that they don't" world of guy status.

Like what?

Inventory/stocker - but it usually involves middle-of-the-night hours.

Check with some of the day labor brokers in your area for part-shift second shift work loading/unloading at a warehouse.  Sometimes the ability to get someone who will show up on time every time is more important than keeping them slaving in the salt mine for a full shift.

Ask c&sd about the physicality of a morning paper route.  If nothing else, it should make you appreciate the 9-5 salt mine gig a lot more.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 02:05:02 AM »

Big garden in the summer. Keep a wood stove fed in the winter.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 07:40:42 AM »
The hardest part of going to the gym is the first step out the door. ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 07:56:50 AM »
what worked for me was dropping wheat.
I quit eating wheat and loosely followed advice from
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

Losing 8 or 9 pounds really fast, like two weeks...that motivated me to go further

Another "trick" is to do push ups everywhere, if all you can do is three at a time - do 3 before you go on line, when you wake up, before you have a snack.

& its ok to miss a few days.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."