Author Topic: Police wake man at 3 a.m. to warn of unlocked door  (Read 13742 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Police wake man at 3 a.m. to warn of unlocked door
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 11:59:36 AM »
i do get amused by the childless. if it was my kid sleeping over he'd be in trouble. what are kids that age doing up watching tv at that time? with dad asleep and thrm afraid to wake him? door ajar?  hes lucky not to face endangerment charges. the bleating about the cops supposed wrongdoing is funny. hes lucky it was the cops.  i wonder what dads bac was?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 12:16:21 PM »
     Police just casually walking around in people's yards and rattling their doorknobs at random to see if they're locked at 3 a.m.?
    I've often noticed people in perceived low crime places seem to walk around in condition white a lot more. In this case the police as well as the homeowner.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

• friends
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 12:55:56 PM »
the article says the garage door was open at 3 am and the front door was ajar.that would get a knock to see if things are ok around here. and if the only folks coming to the door are 7 and under the cops are gonna need to verify theres an adult there.   we had a great scene here parents went out "for a minute" left  kids home alone    fire started  you know the rest
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 02:51:06 PM »
While the police have no obligation to protect you the individual, they have an obligation to the community as a whole.  Under that rubric can be found the concept known as "community policing" which makes everything that took place completely within the law.

OTOH, it might have been good manners and good officer safety to loudly announce themselves as they entered, so that the sleeping adult might awaken to inquire why the cops are in his living room yelling "East Bumf*** PD".  I'm not really sure about going upstairs to wake up dad unless he is not responding to the "East Bumf*** PD" calls after say 2 or 3 minutes.  YMMV on timing.

And about the kids being up at 3AM - it happens.  They might even have been responsible for the front door being ajar.  And if they are typical kids in a sleep-over situation, I'll bet they have already been told twenty-eleven times to be quiet and go to sleep.  No wonder they said they were afraid to wake up dad.

Bottom line - checking out the suspicious nature of the scene is good, but going upstairs to wake up dad may need more info before I'll grant a pass on that move.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

gator

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 04:22:15 PM »
Wow, this story amazes me. Those cops need to be suspended at least, its a good thing no one got shot.
Hopefully dad gave those kids a good hiding! 

• friends
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 04:23:50 PM »
poor cops can't win  if they ignored it and someone hurt the unattended kids the same folks would whine

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 04:42:10 PM »
I just came over from THR and this same story was posted and closed within 6 replies.  Good to see they are sticking to their norm.

Pyle

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2008, 04:52:19 PM »
Wow, this story simply blows my mind!  Can cops really just come in your house anytime they want - anytime of the day?  I've got enough things to worry about without some cop waking me up at 3:00 am (in my own bed).  This doesn't sound safe at all for anyone to be doing.  It also puts the homeowner in a really bad spot.

Think about it this way:  If you see a stranger in your house at 3:00 am - what are you naturally going to do?  I'm going for my gun!  Not to mention that I'm probably going to be a little "fuzzy" at that time of the morning.  Now, you've got a loaded gun in your hand and a cop who might feel the need to draw his own weapon.......I don't like anything about this..

The more I think about it - the more I can't believe it happened.....

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2008, 05:11:43 PM »
Cops around here won't hardly come inside your house if you invite them and it's 30 below zero outside  smiley
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2008, 06:21:02 PM »
"Can cops really just come in your house anytime they want - anytime of the day?"

Jesus Christ...

The answer is yes.

Police now have the permission of the Courts to enter your home at any time of the day or night, spank your children, kick your dog, drink your beer, eat your honey ham, and make films of you and your Mrs. making whoopie so they can sell it on the internet.

Oh, they can also slap you around, empty your wallet, and take an upper decker in your hall bathroom and you are required, BY LAW, to scream at the top of your lungs "THANK YOU FOR MAKING ME YOUR BITCH SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!" while drizzling chocolate sauce over your head and hanging marischino cherries off your nipples.

Oh, and while they're on the way out your door, they can also cut nasty greasy chili dog and beer farts, and the penal code now requires you to breathe deeply and compliment the officer for ordering extra onions, or you can be charged with a class 1 felony. 

I swear some of the people here are so blisteringly paranoid that it's not even funny. 

"My God the cops were on my street! I bet they were spying on me!" rolleyes
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »
This is very peculiar...

I just phoned the police a few minutes ago.

My next door neighbor's front door has been ajar since about 10 p.m. I don't know if they're there or not.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2008, 01:02:59 AM »
This is very peculiar...

I just phoned the police a few minutes ago.

My next door neighbor's front door has been ajar since about 10 p.m. I don't know if they're there or not.

If you look out your front window again, you can tell if the cops are there or not - they will be the ones driving the cars with the flashing blue & red lights.  The trucks with the tall skinny thingy sticking up into the sky from the roof are the TV station folks.

Black helicopters sent to spy on you do not have NightSun searchlights they shine down on your house.  Those also belong to the cops.  The helicopters buzzing the cops' helicopters belong to the TV news, not to the Minutemen.

This lesson in how to figure out if the cops are there or not was brought to you by PROZAC.

stay safe.

skidmark

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2008, 03:12:53 AM »
Well, I guess the neighbors are fine, as the coroner's wagon never showed up.

Police were here around 3 a.m.

I didn't speak to them, but I don't hear my neighbor whining about how the police woke him up at 3, in essence sodomizing his rights for all time...

"This lesson in how to figure out if the cops are there or not was brought to you by PROZAC."

You really need to learn how to use the English language...  Then again, it might mess with your Prozac high rolleyes

old school

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2008, 04:57:03 AM »

Oh, they can also slap you around, empty your wallet, and take an upper decker in your hall bathroom and you are required, BY LAW, to scream at the top of your lungs "THANK YOU FOR MAKING ME YOUR BITCH SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!" while drizzling chocolate sauce over your head and hanging marischino cherries off your nipples.

Oh, and while they're on the way out your door, they can also cut nasty greasy chili dog and beer farts, and the penal code now requires you to breathe deeply and compliment the officer for ordering extra onions, or you can be charged with a class 1 felony. 

cheesy My stomach hurts from laughing at this post.............over the top!
We now know who the real man is.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2008, 08:56:43 AM »
Just spoke with my neighbor and his wife.

They are both VERY appreciative of the fact that I called the police.

Fairfax County police acted in the same exact manner - they searched the house and woke the neighbors up.

Instead of being whining punks about how the police violated their rights, etc., my neighbors are essentially calling themselves dumbasses for forgetting to check the front door when they went to bed.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2008, 09:13:27 AM »
Did you try calling them first?

Did the police?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2008, 09:54:09 AM »
They're members of the cell phone generation.

No phone registered to the house, and I have no clue what their cell phone numbers are.

I know that for a fact because they asked me about Verizon FIOS a few months ago. I have all three packages - phone, cable, and internet. His comment at the time was "we both have our cell phones, we're not going to bother with a phone in the house."

The neighbors on the other side of me are the same way.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2008, 11:34:53 AM »
Ahhh, that makes sense.

My household is that way.

I remember in my younger, rowdier days, me and some friends snuck into my then girlfriend's yard to TP it (Yes, we were brilliantly clever little pranksters), and saw that her front door was hanging open.  It was about 2 AM and no lights were on in the house, and their property was 20 minutes from anywhere.  It may sound stupid, but it was a truly disturbing moment to see that and then agonize over what may have been going on and whether we should attempt to contact anyone.

We ended up just leaving, and the next day I found out they had a completely glass door on the outside that was nigh to invisible at night.

So I can see the concern, though I'm not exactly comfortable with the idea of police coming into my home and waking me up.  (Though that wouldn't happen with me, since my bedroom remains locked up whenever I'm asleep.)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2008, 01:24:53 PM »
At least the police in my area are smart enough to knock and holler first.....we don't have many, and we can't afford to go shooting at them like they do up in Dallas....  police
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2008, 05:33:43 PM »
Leaving doors wide open at night is not a mark of a brilliant intellect.

Police entering a home under these circumstances is not the best procedure.

It seems to me both the homeowner and the police displayed poor judgement, which led to a situation which could easily have ended very, very badly.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
Leaving doors wide open at night is not a mark of a brilliant intellect.

Police entering a home under these circumstances is not the best procedure.

It seems to me both the homeowner and the police displayed poor judgement, which led to a situation which could easily have ended very, very badly.

Yea, they could have nice and tossed a flashbang in first.  That'll wake up 'em up.    grin
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2008, 05:16:27 AM »
Actually, I think you'll find that in situations such as these the police followed their training protocols.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2008, 05:20:40 AM »
They're members of the cell phone generation.

No phone registered to the house, and I have no clue what their cell phone numbers are.

I know that for a fact because they asked me about Verizon FIOS a few months ago. I have all three packages - phone, cable, and internet. His comment at the time was "we both have our cell phones, we're not going to bother with a phone in the house."

The neighbors on the other side of me are the same way.

I don't have a landline. I haven't for years. I see no reason for a phone that rings where I'm not.

As for the neighbors, well, there's always throwing pinecones at their bedroom window...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2008, 05:21:27 AM »
I told my neighbor next time it happens I'm stealing all the beer in his refrigerator and eating his rabbit.

Biker

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2008, 07:31:26 AM »
My garage door is often open as is my front door in warm weather.

However, I have a fenced yard with a padlock on the gate.

Anyone know how the padlock would effect a cop's decision (legally) to enter my property?

Biker