Author Topic: ...and I just leave my waitress a tip...  (Read 13611 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: ...and I just leave my waitress a tip...
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 12:03:01 PM »
Getting drunk and playing with guns (and embarrassing the dept etc) should definitely be a firing offense.
Yup.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 12:32:33 PM »
... As long as they were polite, sober and not acting rudely...  So what? 

They weren't sober. That's the problem, IMO. Handling weapons while drunk is no good.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 01:55:46 PM »
If I took pictures of strange women, scantily clad, in my "workplace", I'd certainly get fired!

No kidding....you even get mean looks when you take pictures of them in tiny little matador suits....  :laugh:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 05:34:35 PM »
So taking photos of a pretty lady with a duty weapon is termination offense, for being unprofessional.  But being overly enthusiastic about say, asset seizure is not?  Some folks have odd priorities.

I'm just curious who said that?  Did somebody say that cops should be fired for naughty photo-shoots, but not be fired for civil rights violations, or did you (and other holier-than-thou guardians of our civil rights) just pull that out of thin air? 

I concur that this would have gone nowhere if the photos hadn't gone public.

So if you act unprofessionally, with an assault rifle no less, and it goes public, you will be in more trouble than if you had been more discrete.  I'm not sure why some people feel the need to point that out.  Seems pretty obvious. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:56:05 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 07:40:01 PM »
What's an "assault weapon"?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 08:41:05 PM »
They weren't sober. That's the problem, IMO. Handling weapons while drunk is no good.

Whoopsy, missed that part.  Yea.  Drunken fun with an AR ain't a good idea.  If they were on duty, then yep, toss the book.   

I'm just curious who said that?  Did somebody say that cops should be fired for naughty photo-shoots, but not be fired for civil rights violations, or did you (and other holier-than-thou guardians of our civil rights) just pull that out of thin air? 

No one here said it.  I've just read it in the local, regional and national papers often enough.  Admittedly, I missed the part in the article that said the officers were drunk, but I've seen plenty of cops get a pass on civil right violations (unless the tape couldn't be conveniently erased) but get hammered like a friggin nail for quasi 'morality' stuff.  Neither is right.

Anything 'evil' looking.  An $80 SKS is an assault rifle if the stock is 1) black, 2) tactical, 3) modded to take an AK mag or 4) a gun control law is going through Congress.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 08:50:32 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 08:46:06 PM »
If I took pictures of strange women, scantily clad, in my "workplace", I'd certainly get fired!

nope   bobbitized
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2009, 10:48:28 PM »
X-ray tech?

DD

No, advertising photographer. Amongst other things, I shot the girlie posters for Snap-On. The girls held wrenches, though, not AR's.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2009, 10:55:29 PM »

[Steve Martin]Well ex-CU-U-U-U-USE ME! [/Steve Martin]

You know what I meant. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2009, 10:59:07 PM »
Oh, I do. I just think the use of the term was disingenuous. Giving a person a duty AR to hold in a picture is not in any way worse than giving them a duty revolver.

I am not, as you know, a great fan of police officers, but in this case I will have to side with them. They should have gotten... oh, I don't know, a verbal reprimand.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2009, 11:13:10 PM »
Giving a person a duty AR to hold in a picture is not in any way worse than giving them a duty revolver.

Your obtuseness in refusing to accept the fact of public perception is most annoying.  You can educate the stupid out of people; but until you do, it is a fact to be dealt with. 

Folks are touchier about military weaponry than about pistols. 

That being said, even if she'd been holding a side-arm, it would still be a problem. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2009, 11:31:37 PM »

I'd bet that you'd hope to only get fired by Sugar Momma.

Nominated for quote of the year is the statement made by Representative Dick Armey, who when asked if he were in the President's place (after the Monica Lewinsky scandal), would he resign, responded:

"If I were in the President's place I would not get a chance to resign. I would be lying in a pool of my own blood hearing Mrs. Armey, standing over me, saying, 'How do I reload this dang thing?'

=D =D :O :O
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 12:45:00 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2009, 11:49:44 PM »
Anyone heard from Lawdog recently ??

:police: :police: :police: :police:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 12:45:47 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2009, 12:13:07 AM »
Any officer handing his firearm to another person in a non-professional manner should be canned.  It's not like he was teaching her how to shoot at a range.  This was on par with what should happen at a bachelor party, not uniformed officers on a government vehicle.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2009, 01:02:37 AM »
Anyone heard from Lawdog recently ??

:police: :police: :police: :police:
Wouldn't he have posted the pics on his blog? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2009, 11:43:02 AM »
Your obtuseness in refusing to accept the fact of public perception is most annoying.  You can educate the stupid out of people; but until you do, it is a fact to be dealt with.

Au contraire, mon cher souffre-douleur.

It is my whole argument that they were fired to appeal to public perception, though their offense was actually minor in nature.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2009, 12:36:56 PM »

It is my whole argument that they were fired to appeal to public perception, though their offense was actually minor in nature.
For one thing, their offense wasn't minor.  For another, public perception is an important part of police work.  It doesn't do to have the general public (including both the law-abiding and the criminal elements) perceive the police as incompetent and ineffective buffoons.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2009, 01:44:30 PM »
This would not have been a problem had they invited the girl out to a range and taken the pics there.

I am also reasonably sure that were I to invite a random girl to work and sit her in front of my company-issued computer I would be fired.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2009, 02:50:04 PM »

The deputies admitted of having about three to five beers each that night.

Drinking and handing duty weapons to civilians isn't really considered to be minor in nature.  But thank you for playing.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2009, 03:10:08 PM »
But but but.... there was sex involved, it must just be those damn American prudes over reacting!
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2009, 04:23:09 PM »
Drinking and handing duty weapons to civilians isn't really considered to be minor in nature.  But thank you for playing.

If you think drinking and handing duty weapons (not GIVING them away permanently, that'd be prison time-worthy) to 'civilians' is 'major' enough to fire people, I disagree.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2009, 04:34:11 PM »
If you think drinking and handing duty weapons (not GIVING them away permanently, that'd be prison time-worthy) to 'civilians' is 'major' enough to fire people, I disagree.

Conduct unbecoming.  Acting unprofessional for a little piece of tail.  I'd have probably lopped some heads off, too.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2009, 04:36:48 PM »
But but but.... there was sex involved, it must just be those damn American prudes over reacting!

There was ALCOHOL! And GUNS! And OH GOD A WOMAN!

I'd that many people overreact when these things are involved.  =D =D

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »
Alright.  I'm gonna wade into this one now....  If the officers were on duty at the time the photo was taken (and presumably while they were drinking) then absolutely.  Fired.  Heck, the company I work for, we're not allowed to drink within 8 hours of the start of our shift.  One of those silly little things where if we're dealing with people's lives, we're not supposed to be impaired by alcohol or mind altering substances.  I would expect the same standard for police officers.   

If they were off-duty at the time, they did show a little bit lot of poor judgement (alcohol, duty weapons, scantily clad waitress, etc), but unless the dept has specific rules regarding off-duty behavior, then in my opinion they shouldn't have been fired.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2009, 05:05:47 PM »
I note from the original picture that the AR still had a magazine in it.  I cannot tell from the picture if the magazine is loaded and/or if there was a round in the chamber.  I am reasonably certain I would not hand my duty weapon over to a stranger with a loaded magazine or a round in the chamber. 

PS edited to add:  if I look real hard at the original photo, I think I can convince myself that the selector switch is on 'safe'.  Good.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 05:11:02 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.