Author Topic: Awesome cockpits  (Read 6138 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Awesome cockpits
« on: July 02, 2010, 03:04:23 PM »
Photos of:  SR71, Oasis of the Seas, Hydrogen ICE Streamliner, Grave Digger, Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner and Triton 1000/2.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/06/ff_cockpits/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Awesome cockpits
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 05:46:04 PM »
I was starting to collect images of WWI aircraft cockpits, then I hit google and decided to quit collecting them because there were so many:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&q=wwII+airplane+cockpits&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 09:12:05 PM »

Wow, the SR71 has a LOT of switches!

Check out the new S76D cockpit.  Much more minimalist.  While not anywhere as impressive, it's a heck of a lot more comfy.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 01:25:51 AM »
K, two questions.

1) How much of the SR-71's cockpit has been modified for the photo op?

2) Regarding the Dreamliner, I thought analog altimeter, analog artificial horizon, and analog airspeed gauges were mandatory for all fixed-wing aircraft despite how many MFDs the cockpit has.  Am I incorrect?
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 01:33:20 AM »
K, two questions.

1) How much of the SR-71's cockpit has been modified for the photo op?

2) Regarding the Dreamliner, I thought analog altimeter, analog artificial horizon, and analog airspeed gauges were mandatory for all fixed-wing aircraft despite how many MFDs the cockpit has.  Am I incorrect?

I think you're incorrect on the second one. I've seen backup instruments going to computerized. Big thing is separate, "failsafe" power source (usually a sealed battery, sometimes supplemented by a ram air generator, I think)

I'm not sure if I'm OK with that. I'm just barely beginning to warm up to glass cockpits myself.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

taurusowner

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 01:37:53 AM »
I guess I should know better, having seen the inside of plenty of military vehicles, but I was surprised at how run-down the SR71 looked.  I know it's a old plane with thousands of hours of use, but still it was not quite what I had in mind.  Very dilapidated.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 05:35:10 AM »
I think you're incorrect on the second one. I've seen backup instruments going to computerized. Big thing is separate, "failsafe" power source (usually a sealed battery, sometimes supplemented by a ram air generator, I think)

I'm not sure if I'm OK with that. I'm just barely beginning to warm up to glass cockpits myself.

Correct. Even the stand-by stuff is going to glass. Glass cockpits are the shiznit.

I'm surprised that the 787 still has a yoke. Seems pointless in a fly-by-wire pla e.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 08:06:52 AM »
I don't believe the SR71 cockpit has been modified, as I did a little google-fuing and found this.  There does appear to be slight differences between cockpits, but they all do appear to be consistent.  I do agree the Wired picture does appear to be a little run down.   RevDisk, the cockpit of S76D is cool.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 12:13:17 PM »
I don't believe the SR71 cockpit has been modified, as I did a little google-fuing and found this.  There does appear to be slight differences between cockpits, but they all do appear to be consistent.  I do agree the Wired picture does appear to be a little run down.   RevDisk, the cockpit of S76D is cool.

I poked my head into the first S76D on the line to have a look.  Beautiful cockpit, and not just the dash.  Most of cockpits today are all function, moderate comfort and no aesthetics.   This one was functional, very comfort and very pretty.  It looks like the interior of a luxury car.

Fly320s can testify how rare that is.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Stickjockey

• friend
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 01:31:17 PM »
I was curious about the red sealant surrounding the bolt heads on the windshield frame of the SR-71.  I wonder if it is for corrosion protection, the high temperatures, locktite, or what.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 12:45:55 AM »
Correct. Even the stand-by stuff is going to glass. Glass cockpits are the shiznit.

I'm surprised that the 787 still has a yoke. Seems pointless in a fly-by-wire pla e.

Familiarity for ease of transition of pilots to the new craft? I seem to recall reading that they added springs to the yoke of the B-52 to simulate the control resistance from the previous bombers that were wire and pulley, resistance in the controls that was absent with the "new" hydraulic assistance (1950's new).

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 06:30:33 AM »
I was curious about the red sealant surrounding the bolt heads on the windshield frame of the SR-71.  I wonder if it is for corrosion protection, the high temperatures, locktite, or what.
None of the above.  What you're actually seeing is the pure awesome seeping out of the pores of the airframe.  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 11:00:31 AM »
Familiarity for ease of transition of pilots to the new craft? I seem to recall reading that they added springs to the yoke of the B-52 to simulate the control resistance from the previous bombers that were wire and pulley, resistance in the controls that was absent with the "new" hydraulic assistance (1950's new).

Good possibility.  I know that Southwest requested round dials, a.k.a. steam gauges, in their new 737s even though those planes come equipped with glass cockpits.  It saves on training costs.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 11:41:24 AM »
round dials, glass cockpits, what's the connection?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 11:53:51 AM »
round dials, glass cockpits, what's the connection?

Round dials are old school, like the SR71 in the above link.  Glass cockpits are the new thing; more information can be presented in an easier to understand format.  Think DOS vs. Windows 7.

Southwest has primarily older, round-dial planes, but Boeing is now building only glass cockpit planes.  So, Southwest asked Boeing to make the LCD screens show the info in the round dial format instead of the newer format.  IIRC, Southwest also had Boeing use fewer LCD screens.  The reason is so that Southwest can save money on training costs and type ratings and make it so that each pilot can be qualified in all the airplane types (variants) with one training session.  IOW, each pilot can fly any plane Southwest has without having to worry whether he is qualified on that plane.  Saves lots of money and headaches.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 11:57:02 AM »
Round dials are old school, like the SR71 in the above link.  Glass cockpits are the new thing; more information can be presented in an easier to understand format.  Think DOS vs. Windows 7.

Southwest has primarily older, round-dial planes, but Boeing is now building only glass cockpit planes.  So, Southwest asked Boeing to make the LCD screens show the info in the round dial format instead of the newer format.  IIRC, Southwest also had Boeing use fewer LCD screens.  The reason is so that Southwest can save money on training costs and type ratings and make it so that each pilot can be qualified in all the airplane types (variants) with one training session.  IOW, each pilot can fly any plane Southwest has without having to worry whether he is qualified on that plane.  Saves lots of money and headaches.

Any word on the actual stability of the new MFD's, say numbers of system crashes per hours of use? I'm wondering if replacing all the old mechanical analog backups with yet more MFD's is the right course of action at this time.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 12:00:01 PM »
Any word on the actual stability of the new MFD's, say numbers of system crashes per hours of use? I'm wondering if replacing all the old mechanical analog backups with yet more MFD's is the right course of action at this time.
I don't have that info, but if they aren't "reliable enough" the FAA, manufacturer, and airlines wouldn't use them.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 12:04:05 PM »
Old:

New:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 02:49:05 PM »

Never heard of one crashing without a secondary cause.  Bullet holes, shrapnel, dropped during maintenance, etc.

You really don't need the LCD's to actually fly.  They're not hardwired into the flight controls or anything like that.  They're primarily information displays.  You'd be damn near suicidal to fly without them functioning, granted.  If they would crash in flight, you'd just immediately set down in the first safe location possible.