Author Topic: Anchoring Effect  (Read 1467 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Anchoring Effect
« on: July 28, 2010, 10:37:40 AM »
http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/07/27/anchoring-effect/

An article on "anchoring effect".  It essentially says that if you have a reference point for something (i.e. cost of a car) you are not going to go to far from that reference point in determining its fair value.  The article cites several different experiments and is a very interesting read.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HankB

• friend
Re: Anchoring Effect
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:31:49 AM »
Gee, the article suggests that the things you purchase in places like department stores have artificially high MSRPs so when they go "on sale" you think you're really getting a deal.

It's almost as if the stores KNOW this and use that fact to their advantage!

Imagine that!

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 11:36:34 AM »
Gee, the article suggests that the things you purchase in places like department stores have artificially high MSRPs so when they go "on sale" you think you're really getting a deal.

It's almost as if the stores KNOW this and use that fact to their advantage!

Imagine that!

I didn't need an article to tell me that...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 03:14:25 PM »
This seems like common sense.  Isn't that why you should shop around? 

I had to buy a new refrigerator last week.  I had no idea what they cost or what features were common today.  I went to 3 different stores that sell a lot of them looked at the brands and features in the price range I had in mind.  I then went back to the store with what I thought was the best deal for what I wanted. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:15:08 PM »
I new a guy who ran a skateboard shop. He had $80, ceramic bearings on display. I asked if anyone had ever bought them, and he said no. But, he said that after he put the $80 bearings in the display case, people bought much more of the $40 bearings, which previously were the most expensive bearings he carried.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 10:09:04 PM »
I new a guy who ran a skateboard shop. He had $80, ceramic bearings on display. I asked if anyone had ever bought them, and he said no. But, he said that after he put the $80 bearings in the display case, people bought much more of the $40 bearings, which previously were the most expensive bearings he carried.
That's a common practice in bicycle shops.  They all have one super-duper Lance Armstrong $5,000 racing bike on display, which nobody ever buys.  But the presence of the $5,000 racing bike makes it easier to sell $2,000 and $3,000 racing bikes.