Author Topic: Digital Kids Meet Rotary Phone  (Read 2751 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Digital Kids Meet Rotary Phone
« on: March 05, 2014, 11:16:59 AM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Digital Kids Meet Rotary Phone
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 12:53:15 PM »

Progress. First rotary phones were owed by Ma Bell. You were not allowed to buy and install a different model.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure dial tones are still with us, but I guess busy signals are a lot less common.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 02:42:44 PM »
Progress. First rotary phones were owed by Ma Bell. You were not allowed to buy and install a different model.

Yep, when my grandfather passed my mother found that he was still renting his phone from an RBOC and this was in 1990s.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 04:25:12 PM »
"Hello, Mabel?"

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 04:29:25 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 04:30:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure dial tones are still with us, but I guess busy signals are a lot less common.

Voice mail was not an improvement.  If I wanted to talk to you I would call you.  Except most of the time I would probably send a telegram telling you I was going to call you so you would know 1) that nobody died (unless someone had died) and 2) when I was going to call you.

Long Distance Calls (yes, a proper noun) were fun - dial O and ask for the Long Distance Operator, who would ask you what city you wanted to call.*  They would connect you with the Long Distance Operator for that city if you were really, really lucky.  Most of the time they confirmed your number and told you they would call you when a trunk line was available.  Once you got the Long Distance Operator in the city you wanted to call, they would connect you with their entral Exchange who would then tell you the number you wanted was busy.  Then you reversed the whole procedure and finally got a call telling you that both a trunk line was available and the number you wanted to call was available.  (The destination Central Exchange would call the number you wanted and inform them there was a Long Distance Call for them and to stand by until a trunk line became available.)  This could literally require two (or more) days.

Telegrams were much easier - 12 cents a word, plus the person at the other end needed to give the boy delivering it a dime.  You could call Western Union if you had an account.  If not, a telegraphy station was not that far away if you were in the city, or down at the train station in just every small town.  $Diety help you if you lived out of town.  Not more than an hour from when you slid your message slip over the counter the boy was delivering the telegram.

The War Department used Western Union to warn Pearl Harbor and Manila that Japan was more likely than not going to attack.  Manila got the word direct as the Army had a WU account; Pearl got the message about two hours after it was received at the central WU station due to heavy commercial traffic which was being sent at priority rates while the War Department used standard rates.  If you ask me, it's a lesson about why you do not really want the .gov to try and save money.

stay safe.

* - podunk places did not have Long Distance Operators so your call was routed through some big town/city with an available trunk line to the central exchange in Podunkville.  When they had a trunk line to Podunkville available.

"Hold the wire" was not an instruction to the customer but to the Operators along the line.  A process often emulated by MARS operators.  (Does anybody else remember MARS calls? Over.)
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 05:04:48 PM »
We've a couple MARS stations here but I don't know the last time they were used. Supposed to be some sort of emergency system now as I understand it.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 05:06:47 PM »
My mom was a Bell system operator back when they still had to pull the cables up and plug them in.  During her tenure they introduced the computer cards to record/bill LD calls where they used a pencil to mark the boxes instead of hand writing everything.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 06:00:22 PM »
Most of the central offices I work in still have a rotary phone hanging around somewhere that is still connected to the switch. One remote location still had a rotary phone as the only phone as recent as 2010. Fun to call the test center on a rotary dial and then here "press 1 for the next available technician".

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 06:38:09 PM »
My parents have had an old looking rotary phone on the wall since I was a kid that is like the picture above.  It has an ear piece and fixed mic with the rotary dial.  It still works. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 06:59:09 PM »
Used MARS a couple times when we were in Germany.  Mom never could get the hang of saying "over", so it boiled down to them calling once a week on Sunday's as that was the cheapest time for them to call.  A call from the states was about 1/4 the cost of a call to the states from Germany.  Deutsche Bundespost charged an arm and leg to phone calls.  Phones had click counters on them.  Local calls were one click per minute, "long distance" calls the number of clicks varied by distance.  Each click was 10 pfennig and it was either 10 or 20 clicks per minute to call the US.  So you'd sit there talking to home, watching the click counter roll like a slot machine.  "HiDad,Everyonehereisfine.How'severyonethere?Good?Greattalktoyoulaterbye."

Had to send one wife back to the states because on the first exercise her husband was gone for she ran up a 8,000.00Dm phone bill in one month calling home to mother because she was lonely.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Moved him into the barracks he spent the rest of his tour eating in the mess hall and giving all his money, minus $25 for Health and Welfare items, to Deutsche Bundespost each month.   Not the way to do a four year tour in Deutschland.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:51:39 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 07:19:14 PM »
OK, that was cute.

Kinda sad, in a way, but cute.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 08:02:08 PM »
Pretty phunny that picking up the handset didn't occur to them as the first step.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 08:57:34 PM »
My mom was a Bell system operator back when they still had to pull the cables up and plug them in.  During her tenure they introduced the computer cards to record/bill LD calls where they used a pencil to mark the boxes instead of hand writing everything.

my mom has often told us the story of how she saw an airplane strike the empire state building while she was working as an operator.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 04:49:54 AM »
I feel soooo ancient.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »
Used to be you could dial out on touch-tone phones by pulsing the hook.  You know, (303) XXX-XXXX = taptaptap  taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap  taptaptap, etc.

Haven't tried it lately with the new 10-digit sequencing, though.  Pain in the doopie-do.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:46:49 PM by 230RN »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 08:53:48 PM »
The best part was finally working up the nerve to call a girl only to have the rest of the family listen in from the other room.

=|
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 09:16:22 PM »
The best part was finally working up the nerve to call a girl only to have the rest of the family listen in from the other room.

=|

Haha! And the "yes", "no", "maybe" and furious wisper "my mom just walked in!" conversation was born!

My beef with the old style handsets was they made my ear hurt. And do you know how much teenage girls can talk? AOL IM made all nighter gab fests with girlfriends so much less painful.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 04:00:26 AM »
When we got married the first phone we got was a candle stick style with a rotary dial. This was right after at&t started selling their designer phones. Long calls were painful.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
Digital Kids Meet Rotary Phone
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 06:24:49 AM »
When we got married the first phone we got was a candle stick style with a rotary dial. This was right after at&t started selling their designer phones. Long calls were painful.
A few years ago my dad gave me a candle stick phone.  He had bought two of them for $5 each when he was growing up.  He sent both of them to some guy in Canada to rehab them.  The guy did rehab them and took the original internals out and put internals in that will work with today's switches (original internals were returned with the phones.)  I have made calls on it several times.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 08:52:19 AM »
At the World's Fair in the early 60's AT&T showed off the then-new touch tone dialing system at a booth.  They had two vertical columns of lights which showed the times it took to dial for each system.  

So you dialed a number on a rotary and the lights would progress up the column and stop when you were done.  Then you'd try the touch tone dialing and it was supposed to show the timing on the other column and you were supposed to oooh and aaah about how much faster the touch tone system was.

I got screwed up because by then I had become quite proficient on touch-adding on an adding machine (part of my job at the time), where the numbers went 789-456-123-0 from the top down, whereas the new-fangled phone buttons went 123-456-789-*0# from the top down.  

I kept getting a "DIALING ERROR" light when the machine caught the fact that the numbers I dialed on the rotary were not the same as on the touch pad, or when I hit the * or # keys instead of 1 or 3.

Wife1 had no trouble with it, though, and consistently dialed faster on the touch pad than I could.

That damned reversal still plagues me on dialing to this day.

Terry, Living Historian.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:01:24 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 09:01:54 AM »
The same probablem occurs if you use calculators a lot, or the number pad on the keyboard.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 09:04:52 AM »
^ Yeah, don't I know it, because I was also using a Friden mechanical calculator a lot at the time.  Tap-tap-tap-tap, enter, buzz-whirr, ketchunk, kerchunk, kerchunkiity-chunk, write down result with a pencil.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:10:10 AM by 230RN »

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 09:27:31 AM »
At the World's Fair in the early 60's AT&T showed off the then-new touch tone dialing system at a booth.  They had two vertical columns of lights which showed the times it took to dial for each system.  

So you dialed a number on a rotary and the lights would progress up the column and stop when you were done.  Then you'd try the touch tone dialing and it was supposed to show the timing on the other column and you were supposed to oooh and aaah about how much faster the touch tone system was.

I got screwed up because by then I had become quite proficient on touch-adding on an adding machine (part of my job at the time), where the numbers went 789-456-123-0 from the top down, whereas the new-fangled phone buttons went 123-456-789-*0# from the top down.  

I kept getting a "DIALING ERROR" light when the machine caught the fact that the numbers I dialed on the rotary were not the same as on the touch pad, or when I hit the * or # keys instead of 1 or 3.

Wife1 had no trouble with it, though, and consistently dialed faster on the touch pad than I could.

That damned reversal still plagues me on dialing to this day.

Terry, Living Historian.

IIRC AT&T intentionally switched the keypad on the phone to be the opposite from a calculator. They were afraid that accounting type people would overwhelm the CO switches by typing the number to fast if the keypad was arranged like a calculator.

ETA:  Evidently that is a wife's tale.  http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=119296

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 09:42:38 AM »

=|

Is that better or worse than the other people on the party line listening in?  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."