Author Topic: Digital Kids Meet Rotary Phone  (Read 2750 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Digital Kids Meet Rotary Phone
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 10:30:07 AM »
The lettering thing 'splains a lot:

There was another reason as well. When it came time to match letters of the alphabet up with the numbers, putting 1-2-3 across the top made a lot more sense because it was the most natural way to get ABC in the top row. If 7-8-9 had been at the top, one of two things would have happened — the letters and the numbers would have run in opposite directions, or PRS would have been the first set of letters. Either arrangement would have seemed very odd, indeed.  (From the cited article)

'Course, that comes from the day when telephone exchanges were all identified by geographic names:  LExington 3-XXXX, FLushing 3-XXXX, MUrray Hill 7-, etc.  

The "zero" was never used as part of the exchange number.

In Boulder CO at the time almost all numbers were HIllcrest 2, 3, or 4, and it was typical to write your number down as only the 2-XXXX or 3-XXXX (or 4-) and people would understand the first two "digits" were HI-.  Our first number was HIllcrest 4-, which works out to 444- in today's terms --or actually, (303) 444-.

(At the time, Boulder CO only had a population of about 50,000, for those of you who do the math.)

Yeah, we had a party line for a while, but it was such a PITA, especially counting the rings when it rang, we finally decided to spring the extra moolah for a private line.  And of course, other folks on the party line would pick up the phone and claim they miscounted the rings, sorry.  

One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingies, three ringy-dingies, was us.

And if you were mailing something to someone in Boulder, you could just address it as:

Mr. and Mrs. Joe Blow
182576 Pine St.*
City

No actual City, no State, no Zip, no nuthin'.

And it would get to them.

Terry

* I didn't want to use anything that might actually be a house number on Pine St.  Most house numbers were only 4 digits long.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:01:18 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 07:48:47 PM »
My dad still has his monster Friden calculator, and it's in running condition.

My new house is also wired for a phone.  The phone's a bit older than the house, but otherwise works as designed.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 08:57:52 PM »
Next time I'm down there I'll have to sneak into Dad's den and see what that giant piece of cast iron adding machine on his desk is.  He's also got a very,very old NCR cash register from the tavern.  I think the most it could ring up at any one time was $5.99 if you hit three highest keys.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2014, 02:59:46 AM »
'Course, that comes from the day when telephone exchanges were all identified by geographic names:  LExington 3-XXXX, FLushing 3-XXXX, MUrray Hill 7-, etc.

The exchange name convention is still in use. Just not for dialing telephone numbers.
Each central office is IDd by it's exchange name. It comes into use particularly with location identification codes for the various central offices in a circuit path.

Some of the ones in use in the Tulsa metro area include- Temple shown as TULSOKTE or National shown as TULSOKNA.
There is also General Adams, Amhurst, Riverside and a few others.

The phone company never throws anything away.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2014, 03:24:25 AM »
Gewehr98 :  So is the phone that high up on the wall, or haven't you hung the picture yet?  <grin>

Seriously, a beautiful setting for the phone.

scout26:  Makes me wonder what that $5.99 in today's "money" might be.

RoadKingLarry:   Well, they gotta ID them somehow, why not with variants of location names?  Beats mere abstract numbers.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:28:07 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2014, 04:07:39 AM »
Well, they gotta ID them somehow, why not with variants of location names?  Beats mere abstract numbers

Of course, I was just pointing out that the legacy of the exchange names still lives on.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 05:12:50 PM »
I *think* that alcove was built into the wall for a statue of Mary, or something similar.

Since I'm Lutheran, and already had the ancient Stromberg-Carlson phone, voila'!

I keep the laptop computer from my grandparents' estate here in my office.  They did all their accounting for the two auto parts stores they owned on it.

It's wireless.  No batteries needed, either.  The Burroughs works very smoothly for its age.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 05:20:47 PM »
Nice thing about those old adding machines was that you didn't have to enter all the zeros for a number like $50.00   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin