Author Topic: USAF to deny enlistment or reenlistment to atheists  (Read 977 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
USAF to deny enlistment or reenlistment to atheists
« on: September 10, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afi36-2606/afi36-2606.pdf
http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140909/NEWS05/309090065/Atheist-airman-must-swear-help-me-God-get-out-November?sf30886492=1

As far as I know, every other service says "meh" and moves on, but as I recall, the USAF has had issues in the past. Now it seems that they require a specific religious phrasing "So help me God" for reenlistment. I'm guessing enlistment as well? 

USAF is claiming it's a regulation issue and says they can't allow omission of that part without Congressional action. If so, why is every other branch not in trouble? Other issue is that some folks pointed out, that would qualify as a religious test.

???

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: USAF to deny enlistment or reenlistment to atheists
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 05:25:19 PM »
Looks like they are hiding behind the letter of the law as written by Congress. 
He has until this time to complete the Department of Defense Form 4 in compliance with the Title 10 USC 502.

Were the US Constitution honored much anymore I might refer to something about no religious tests as mentioned in Article VI:
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.
(Bold face mine in both quotes)

Since the COTUS has been used as toilet paper, we are now a nation of men rather than laws, and folks seem to be dividing up along lines they see fit, I am at a loss to wonder why atheists ought to be spared the effects of the Great Sorting?

Sure, this airman has a great case if the COTUS means what is says & is valid, but who reads the COTUS anymore and applies it as written?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 10:04:26 AM »
"There are no atheists in the cockpit of a fighter jet during a dogfight at thirty thousand feet while traveling at mach speeds."
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 10:28:20 AM »
"There are no atheists in the cockpit of a fighter jet during a dogfight at thirty thousand feet while traveling at mach speeds."

Rather "There will be no atheists in the cockpit of a fighter jet during a dogfight at thirty thousand feet while traveling at mach speeds. Per AFI36-2606."

Part I don't get is why they're doing it when no other service is doing so. Or why they didn't kick it to the lawyers before issuing their regs.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »
FTR, doesn't look like this airman was ever going to fly a plane.  He might do PM in a cockpit, but it will be an officer who flies the machine.

Or why they didn't kick it to the lawyers before issuing their regs.

Indeed.  Why should this be the only un-lawyer-plagued slice of the Air Force? I bet the first real, functioning AI in the cockpit will be geared toward JAG functions.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:58:45 AM by roo_ster »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 10:57:13 AM »

While many fighter  jets can go at mach+ speeds when they get involved in a "furball" they go subsonic really fast.
Then it becomes a matter of how well the fighter maneuvers and pilot experience/expertise.
Belief in God is optional but don't expect a lightning bolt to take out the enemy fighter.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero