Author Topic: Senate CIA torture report  (Read 9397 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Senate CIA torture report
« on: December 09, 2014, 01:52:10 PM »
The Senate released a summary of the 6,000 page investigation of the CIA and its 'enhanced interrogation' program.

Key points:
- The CIA was lying the entire time to the public. Gee, no kidding.
- The CIA was lying to Congress.
- The CIA may have been lying to the White House.
- The CIA officials surreptitiously accessed investigation committee work product and email on a firewalled shared network. Ie, they snooped on Congress.
- Yes, they tortured folks rather than interrogated them.
- No, life-saving intelligence wasn't gathered through torture

http://www.intelligence.senate.gov/study2014/sscistudy1.pdf
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Senate CIA torture report
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 02:08:07 PM »
This is just Democrats trying to stick it to Republicans before they lose majority control. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 02:13:11 PM »
This is just Democrats trying to stick it to Republicans before they lose majority control. 

:facepalm:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 02:19:01 PM »
All lies, all the time, all branches of gov, top to bottom, side to side, lies and lies.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 02:27:07 PM »

*shrug*

In this case, they are actually doing their duty to the United States and its citizenry. By accident, by maliciousness, by intention, the end result is the same. Positive in this case. They're exposing murder, torture, perjury and other crimes. I'm very curious if any American citizens were tortured or murdered. I'd assume that'd be in the unreleased version.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 03:39:22 PM »
Doing their duty is probably only an accidental coincidence.  Also, if they released a report tomorrow on the same stuff over the last 6 years, do you think it would be different (assuming both are honest)?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »
When they blamed the Benghazi attack on ill-feelings from a video critical of Islam, something sure to inflame anti-American passions in the Middle East and be a recruiting tool for jihadis, some called release of the video treasonous. (Never mind that this story was a lie.)

Now that they're releasing a CIA "investigation" sure to inflame anti-American passions in the Middle East and be a recruiting tool for jihadis . . . wonder what they'll be calling it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 03:53:53 PM »
The only people who would object to secretive fed.gov agencies breaking laws and lying to Congress are terrorists and Democrats, obviously. We can totally trust secretive fed.gov agencies to only break the law and lie to Congress for our own good.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 04:01:34 PM »
Doing their duty is probably only an accidental coincidence.  Also, if they released a report tomorrow on the same stuff over the last 6 years, do you think it would be different (assuming both are honest)?

It's all in the timing.  Do you think anyone in the last 100 years would ever have served a second term in any office if tax day was the day before early voting starts?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 05:56:43 PM »
For reference, can someone point me to a resource articulating which members of the Committee endorsed the content and release terms of the report vs. those who demurred on either issue? Curious to know if it was a bipartisan decision.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »
Releasing 10 percent of a report makes me wonder

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 07:37:44 PM »
The Senate released a summary of the 6,000 page investigation of the CIA and its 'enhanced interrogation' program.

Key points:
- The CIA was lying the entire time to the public. Gee, no kidding.
- The CIA was lying to Congress.
- The CIA may have been lying to the White House.
- The CIA officials surreptitiously accessed investigation committee work product and email on a firewalled shared network. Ie, they snooped on Congress.
- Yes, they tortured folks rather than interrogated them.
- No, life-saving intelligence wasn't gathered through torture

http://www.intelligence.senate.gov/study2014/sscistudy1.pdf

Cool, so who's going to prison?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 07:45:41 PM »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 07:58:50 PM »
Only Jack Bauer.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 09:13:56 AM »
Now that they're releasing a CIA "investigation" sure to inflame anti-American passions in the Middle East and be a recruiting tool for jihadis . . . wonder what they'll be calling it.

If the US government doesn't want news of wrongdoing to infuriate people abroad, it can start by avoiding committing the wrongdoing in the first place.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
ancyRe: Senate CIA torture report
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 09:43:27 AM »
Why release it yesterday?   Oh, Gruber (the dumbest guy with a PhD) was testifying about O-care. So there was a need to distract from that.  Why not release it on a Friday like they do other "bad" news? Or just before a Holiday weekend?

Who were the Senators and Representatives who were briefed on enhanced interrogation techniques *cough* Nancy "Are we going far enough" Pelosi ?

If people are to be sent to jail then it should be those elected officals that knew of and approved those meeasures, if there were measures used that were not approved, then those who used them and the non-elected people who approved should go to jail.

Sadly, I predict that none will....

(What was someone saying about the bureaucrats not being like nobility?)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 09:53:55 AM »
Sorry, I have a SERIOUS problem categorizing any of what was done (actually or supposedly) as "torture."

Then again, since late summer 2001, I've found myself not really:

• Giving a rat's ass about whether or not we harshly questioned individuals or not.
    Caring what the rest of the world thinks.

Here's the sad truth of it... no matter what the US does, good or bad, we're going to catch some sort of hell about it.

Give billions in aide around the world? My God, you're the richest nation on earth, and you're being very, very greedy!

Cut aide? My God, you're the richest nation on earth, and you're being very, very greedy!

I simply don't care anymore. Our first priority should be our own safety and our own national interests.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 10:03:33 AM »
Sorry, I have a SERIOUS problem categorizing any of what was done (actually or supposedly) as "torture."

Then again, since late summer 2001, I've found myself not really:

• Giving a rat's ass about whether or not we harshly questioned individuals or not.
    Caring what the rest of the world thinks.

Here's the sad truth of it... no matter what the US does, good or bad, we're going to catch some sort of hell about it.

Give billions in aide around the world? My God, you're the richest nation on earth, and you're being very, very greedy!

Cut aide? My God, you're the richest nation on earth, and you're being very, very greedy!

I simply don't care anymore. Our first priority should be our own safety and our own national interests.

Also to put things into perspective, one thing our interrogators never did was to make the terrorists choose between being burned alive or jumping to their deaths. Making them listen to the "Barney" theme is kind of a cakewalk compared to that.

I think it's important to always evaluate and question our methods to keep us from going down a dark road, but hamstringing ourselves can lead to more pain for less deserving individuals.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 10:04:16 AM »
If sleep deprivation (sp) is torture then every member of the U.S. Military has been tortured at one time or another.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 10:14:34 AM »

This is what we should be demanding that the media get an answer to at every "release" like this; what real action will be taken based on this information?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 10:15:19 AM »
There are plenty of things that members of the military do in training that are considered torture and assault if done to a non-consenting victim, what's your point?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:41:06 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 10:51:32 AM »
There are plenty of things that members of the military do in training that are considered torture and assault if done to a non-consenting victim, what's your point?
What exactly is your point?  War is bad?  Our country has done unsavory things?  Yeah, I am sure that never happenned before.  We should try to keep it in check, but to assume it never happens or it is never necessary is naive. 

Nothing I have heard in this is new except maybe the internal spying.  However, I think I have heard about that also at least well before the last administration.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 11:24:53 AM »
My logic is very simple.

Servicemen fight with pugil sticks for training. If someone beat a prisoner with a pugil stick as part of an interrogation procedure, that would be torture.

Servicemen undergo sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation as a form of interrogation is torture (and can in fact kill you).

Ice baths are torture (and have in fact killed at least one man).

The authority of the government to use force should be limited. When agents of the government use force without limits, deceive the legislature and the Commander in Chief, this is something that is outrageous and people should be outraged about.

You cannot limit the government if your reaction to the government doing unsavory things is "oh, well, this stuff happens."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 02:27:23 PM »
Yawn...

Wake me up if I should ever give a *expletive deleted*it.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.