Author Topic: Americans fleeing to where political views match their own  (Read 825 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Americans fleeing to where political views match their own
« on: February 19, 2022, 12:25:36 PM »
Interesting, but not surprising, article from National Proletariat Radio...

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/18/1081295373/the-big-sort-americans-move-to-areas-political-alignment?utm_source=pocket-newtab

But what is surprising is that it focuses primarily on conservatives. The one liberal family they focus on moved to a very liberal area in Texas.

What got me, though, was this bit about their 12-year-old daughter's school project...

"What a difference a new city makes. Twelve-year-old Mya Wooten is taking a social justice class at her private school in downtown Austin, an opportunity they would not have found in Greenfield. Mya says a recent assignment was to pick an issue to protest.

"It was ocean pollution, women's rights, or LGBTQ rights," she says. "So my topic was women's rights, and I made a poster of an open woman's mouth and it said, 'I have the right to be heard.' "

WTF are they teaching these kids? Unless you're in a court setting, NO ONE has a "right" to be heard.

You have the right to free speech, but you don't have the right to make others listen to you if they don't want to. Is it any wonder that the liberals have no freaking clue what the Constitution actually says and does?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Americans fleeing to where political views match their own
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 01:24:44 PM »
That's why a number of the states wanted certain rights to be specifically spelled-out in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of powers by the government.  These spelled-out rights were included in the fledgling nation's Constitution on December 15th, 1791.

Not that many people know it, but that's why December 15th is known as Bill Of Rights day.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 01:37:10 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 02:03:54 PM »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
                   - Hubert H. Humphrey
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 04:38:27 PM »
That girl is going to a private school in the middle of Austin.  She is in a leftist bubble that is within another leftist bubble.  I wonder what the public school is like that is in their area. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 04:48:02 PM »
It seems to me that leftists often move to conservative areas due to the lower taxes and more opportunities.  I guess it depends on what they do. 

When they mention the conservatives, they aren't talking about just political views.  They mentioned mask mandates, vaccine mandates, and their businesses getting closed down in their previous state.  That is a bit more than just "political views".  That is just freedom. 

One of the youtubers I follow (Nerdrotic) finally got moved over near San Antonio just last week.  His wife's hair salon was closed down in San Francisco due to COVID.  They had to give up reopening after their lock down was extended.  The video of Pelosi visiting her salon around that time royally pissed them off.  One thing he mentioned was that everything was cheaper in Texas.  Real estate, property taxes, gas prices, food prices, no personal income tax.  He said it was like getting a 50% raise just moving here from California. 

Of course, land prices have been rising here pretty steadily for a couple decades or more.  Some politicians have been talking about reforming the property tax system.  I hope that works out.  Schools are funded by the state now so there isn't a good reason to have that come from property taxes anymore. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 04:49:25 PM »
It seems to me that leftists often move to conservative areas due to the lower taxes and more opportunities.  I guess it depends on what they do. 

When they mention the conservatives, they aren't talking about just political views.  They mentioned mask mandates, vaccine mandates, and their businesses getting closed down in their previous state.  That is a bit more than just "political views".  That is just freedom. 

One of the youtubers I follow (Nerdrotic) finally got moved over near San Antonio just last week.  His wife's hair salon was closed down in San Francisco due to COVID.  They had to give up reopening after their lock down was extended.  The video of Pelosi visiting her salon around that time royally pissed them off.  One thing he mentioned was that everything was cheaper in Texas.  Real estate, property taxes, gas prices, food prices, no personal income tax.  He said it was like getting a 50% raise just moving here from California. 

Of course, land prices have been rising here pretty steadily for a couple decades or more.

None of which will stop them from voting straight democrat of course
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 04:52:37 PM »
None of which will stop them from voting straight democrat of course
From what I have heard/seen, the majority of transplants are not Democrats.  A while back I heard the biggest Democrat growth group was 2nd and 3rd generation Hispanics.  The transplants leaned Republican or at least conservative by a small margin. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2022, 05:09:49 PM »
One thing he mentioned was that everything was cheaper in Texas.  Real estate, property taxes, gas prices, food prices, no personal income tax.  He said it was like getting a 50% raise just moving here from California. 

Of course, land prices have been rising here pretty steadily for a couple decades or more.  Some politicians have been talking about reforming the property tax system.  I hope that works out.  Schools are funded by the state now so there isn't a good reason to have that come from property taxes anymore.

Stuff being cheaper than CA is a major shock to Californians moving to the red. I remember when I switched my auto insurance to Idaho - with Farmers, the same place I had in CA, and with identical coverage - I called my agent and told him he made a mistake and left one of my two vehicles off the policy. Nope - it is actually over 50% cheaper here for car insurance. Auto insurance is one of the more prominent examples, but there's a ton of stuff like that.

As to land prices, that's a big problem here too, and I suspect in all the "conservative" states that are getting the influx. Locals are for real priced out of the market. At this point, I would not be looking in Idaho at all. My place has more than doubled since I bought it, and there is no way I would pay today's prices for it. Properties are being snatched up at these ridiculous prices though, which is greatly contributing to the hate for CA transplants, as well as Portland and Seattle hipster transplants.

The article rings somewhat true though, that californiacation, at least from the purely political side, is not really happening right now (though we know it happens with CO seeming to be one of the best (or worst) examples in recent years). It seems that currently, for every lefty, two very conservative people are moving in. I guess that is happening in other red states as well. It doesn't seem that in Idaho at least, the state legislators believe it. I am seeing lots of legislation this session that seems designed to get out ahead of a hippie influx. Stuff like stronger 2A protections, keeping CRT out of our schools (even though it hasn't infiltrated here yet) and similar stuff. If it's happening in a blue state, we seem to have legislation going forward to not allow it here.

I don't know about other states, but I'm still afraid that ID is getting too many big tech employees that can now work from anywhere, and we know what 99% of the politics from that crowd is.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 06:10:06 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2022, 10:45:24 PM »
Speaking of Californication, I hear the New Mexicans managed to defeat two anti-gun bills last week.

Sorry, but this is the only source I've found for it.

https://youtu.be/qQdf62v0QX0
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 07:59:53 AM »
Somewhat relevant tangent related to the thesis that transplants are making their new states more strongly red or blue:

Here in Idaho, the dem minority and the RINOs are lamenting the rise of "far right extremism". One of their "tools" to fight it is crossover voting. Essentially having dem and independent voters switch to the Republican party during the state Republican primaries and voting for the "most liberal" Republican. They have been heavily pushing it for our upcoming gubernatorial primaries. Given the current percentages of the various contenders, crossover voting could actually make a difference if enough people do it.

Personally, I question the ethics of this. It really seems like election interference. If you're in the minority party and you feel that strongly about who is elected on the other side, then go ahead and switch parties and stay that way, voting for the most liberal R or the most conservative D. Switching during the other party's primary then switching right back to your preferred party just seems like cheating.

https://www.kivitv.com/news/crossover-voting-attempt-to-influence-republican-primary
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 08:28:42 AM »
"One of the youtubers I follow (Nerdrotic) finally got moved over near San Antonio just last week.  His wife's hair salon was closed down in San Francisco due to COVID.  They had to give up reopening after their lock down was extended.  The video of Pelosi visiting her salon around that time royally pissed them off.  One thing he mentioned was that everything was cheaper in Texas.  Real estate, property taxes, gas prices, food prices, no personal income tax.  He said it was like getting a 50% raise just moving here from California."

So what do you want to bet that the first thing they start screaming for is the crap that made California so expensive in the first place?

That seems to be the liberal Californian's playbook -- flee California for an unspoiled place. Spoil the place because you want it to be California.

Agent Smith had it partially correct, but it's not humans who are a virus... it's liberals who are a virus.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 01:34:35 PM »

So what do you want to bet that the first thing they start screaming for is the crap that made California so expensive in the first place?

That seems to be the liberal Californian's playbook -- flee California for an unspoiled place. Spoil the place because you want it to be California.

Agent Smith had it partially correct, but it's not humans who are a virus... it's liberals who are a virus.
Oh, I agree with that part.  The city of Austin itself has turned into crap.  It was always liberal, but has gotten crazy left the last 10 years.

A far as Nerdrotic, he is not a leftist.  He may not be an R, but I don't think he will be voting for leftists. 

Here is his last leaving California video.  Doesn't start until after intro stuff at 1 minute. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1za-9VAA_Gs

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 02:56:10 PM »
Somewhat relevant tangent related to the thesis that transplants are making their new states more strongly red or blue:

Here in Idaho, the dem minority and the RINOs are lamenting the rise of "far right extremism". One of their "tools" to fight it is crossover voting. Essentially having dem and independent voters switch to the Republican party during the state Republican primaries and voting for the "most liberal" Republican. They have been heavily pushing it for our upcoming gubernatorial primaries. Given the current percentages of the various contenders, crossover voting could actually make a difference if enough people do it.

Personally, I question the ethics of this. It really seems like election interference. If you're in the minority party and you feel that strongly about who is elected on the other side, then go ahead and switch parties and stay that way, voting for the most liberal R or the most conservative D. Switching during the other party's primary then switching right back to your preferred party just seems like cheating.

https://www.kivitv.com/news/crossover-voting-attempt-to-influence-republican-primary

Can't the party control who votes in its primaries?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife