Main Forums > Politics

Just when you thought MA couldn't go any more "1984"...

(1/6) > >>

Manedwolf:

--- Quote ---To blunt the impact of declining gas tax revenues, according to the panel's outline, the state should impose a system of "direct road user fees" - also known as mileage taxes - similar to those under study by some other states, including Oregon and Colorado. With such fees, motorists would be charged for every mile they drive on all major state roadways - not just the Massachusetts Turnpike - using technology that allows the state to track their mileage and bill them automatically. According to the commission, such fees could bring in more than $5 billion.

Can't say I'm surprised, though. And the sheep there will probably vote for it.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/09/16/major_hike_in_gas_tax_fees_urged/

BTW, for anyone who has to go into that state, I wouldn't even advise riding the T (the subway) anymore. Just a couple of weeks ago, a power failure stranded trains alone in tunnels for over 40 minutes without any power or communications. That's right. In a place where nobody can legally be armed, pretty much, (even tasers or pepper spray!) but most of the criminals are, a train deep underground with no power and no communication with the surface. No.

Devonai:
I wish I could just sit back and laugh at Mass, but everything they do to kill themselves will also trickle up to New Hampshire in one way or another.

HankB:
From the linked article:
--- Quote ---In future years, the tax would be boosted annually to reflect higher costs of living.I thought taxes increased the cost of living, rather than reflecting it? Clever use of words, sort of like saying a tax increase is "asking people to contribute . . . "

The part about downloading GPS or mileage data to a gas pump looks like it has potential for some creative computer hacking . . . 

El Tejon:
The T is deep underground???

Not the Blue or Orange line?  I ride the Blue to the hotel and the Orange from the hotel to the school and it's above ground for the most part.

Never had a problem (with the T, I did get jumped in Boston Commons this June), but I don't go back until January.

Manedwolf:
The Red Line goes pretty well underground for most of its run.

And yeah, muggings in broad daylight in Boston Commons are...um...common.

Don't carry pepper spray, though. It's a felony with a maximum two-year prison sentence last time I checked, despite the fact that actual assault gets the mugger back out on the street in a couple weeks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version