Author Topic: Firefox 3 annoyance  (Read 2471 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Firefox 3 annoyance
« on: June 21, 2008, 01:57:45 AM »
How do I turn off the feature that has the URL dropdown tied to my bookmarks?  As I type a URL, it works its way through my bookmarks trying to find a match.  When I click the url dropdown to find a recently visited site, it shows nothing but my bookmarks.  I don't have APS bookmarked, I type it in each time, yet it isn't in the dropdown, but sites I haven't visited in months or years are because they're bookmarked.  It completely destroys how I use my bookmarks (long term memory) vs my url dropdown (short term memory).  I've looked through the settings and can't find where this is enabled.

Chris

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Re: Firefox 3 annoyance
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 02:56:43 AM »
Ah yes.  The vaunted Firefox 3 "awesome bar."  It doesn't bother me, but many people have complained about it.  There's an addon that will supposedly work around that behavior.  I haven't tried it myself, but you can find it here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7429

As I said, I haven't tried this addon myself, so I can't vouch for functionality.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 05:21:19 AM »
Ahh.  After installing that patch, I understand how the new FF works.  The "navigation" bar isn't.  What I'm used to using is now to the left of this new "awesome bar". 

I don't like it.  Every new version makes FF worse than the previous.

Chris

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 05:45:23 AM »
On the positive side, FF3 on my system is using less memory, less CPU time and is all around more responsive than its predecessor.  I do think they should have made this new "awesome bar" an option that can be turned off for those who would prefer the classic navigation bar.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 05:49:33 AM »
Yeah, it is better on the resource side, but I agree that the "awesome bar" should be an option or done away with entirely. 

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 06:06:56 AM »
You know about the "about:config" url, right?  Direct access to Firefox settings.  I'll bet you can fix your annoyance in there somewhere.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 06:09:18 AM »
yeah, I know about it, but couldn't find the specific parameter to change.

Chris

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 07:13:36 AM »
Nope.  There is no simple config option to turn off the new bar and bring back the old one.  That has been a fairly major gripe in the Mozilla forums.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 09:38:05 AM »
Click on "Tools", click on "Opitons", and change your "History" settings and go down to "Private Data" and click on "Settings".  There are a number of settings you can change there, including History.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 10:57:41 AM »
I switched from Firefox to opera about two weeks ago, after I got tired of dealing with the slowdown from FF2. At first, I didn't really care for Opera, but I'm growing to like it more and more. I've downloaded FF3 at home and at work, but I find that I much prefer Opera at home. I do not like the "awesome" toolbar.
Hi.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 12:14:03 PM »
Regarding FF3, there is a "portable" version that you can install separately so you don't have to muck up your original.

http://portableapps.com/
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 02:23:16 PM »
Click on "Tools", click on "Opitons", and change your "History" settings and go down to "Private Data" and click on "Settings".  There are a number of settings you can change there, including History.

Has no effect on the issue at hand.

Chris

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 05:51:55 PM »
What is the "Awesome Bar"?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 01:50:05 AM »
Remember the address bar?  Where you type URLs?  It looks like that and you can still type URLs in it, but instead of listing your history when you hit the dropdown button, it now only lists the bookmarks you haven't visited in a while.

Not exactly awesome IMO.

Chris

crt360

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 03:20:16 AM »
Remember the address bar?  Where you type URLs?  It looks like that and you can still type URLs in it, but instead of listing your history when you hit the dropdown button, it now only lists the bookmarks you haven't visited in a while.

Not exactly awesome IMO.

Chris

I've never had a version that listed my history when I hit the dropdown button.  Mine's always just listed recently typed URLs and that's kind of the way it's still working in FF3, but it looks different.  Actually, I'm not sure what it's listing there now.  It's not history, and it's definitely not bookmarks.  Hmmmm.  Yeah, it doesn't seem too awesome.
For entertainment purposes only.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 03:32:57 AM »
I called it history, but it was actually recently typed URLs.  I have FF clear history on exit, but I use the recently typed URL list to go back to pages I visited during that session.  The "Awesome" bar showed bookmarks that haven't been visited lately as you typed a URL.  At least that was what it was doing in my case.

Chris