Author Topic: Northern VA shooting instruction? Marksmen Masters LLC?  (Read 710 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Northern VA shooting instruction? Marksmen Masters LLC?
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »
Has anyone attended training with Marksmen Masters in Ashburn, VA?  They are just northwest of Dulles airport.
http://www.helpmeshoot.com/

I am flying with a pilot who lives near there and is interested in getting a handgun and proper training to go with it. Both he and his wife will take the training.   We have had plenty of discussion about which guns to buy and avoid, but the FAA doesn't seem to want us to do live fire training while flying.

I know the NRA is nearby, are there other good shooting instructors around there?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

birdman

• friend
Re: Northern VA shooting instruction? Marksmen Masters LLC?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 09:54:19 AM »
Given the fact there are very few ranges around here (NRA, blue ridge arsenal, and silver eagle), I would venture to guess they use those for their instruction.  Also, their address is a PO box...so where is their classroom? (I live in ash burn).  There are a wide range of classes at all of those ranges actually.  I would suggest going with a training group that has their own range.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 12:29:56 PM »
Update..

The place is called Silver Eagle Training. Anyone know about them?  Their facility looks nice enough, but that doesn't mean they can teach worth a darn.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 12:32:06 PM »
SET is fairly new, expensive, and just recently enacted a no-lead policy at their range.  I haven't been out there myself yet.  I'd go with something at the NRA.  I've heard of some classes being taught by 3rd parties out at Quantico, but haven't been myself.

Chris

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 01:50:06 PM »
I know a few NRA-certfied trainers in the NOVA area who might be iterested in a small class outside their normal classroom-only program to get folks qualified for the Virginia/Utah permits.  There is no range qualification for either permit.  That being said, hands-on training at even the basic level is money and time well spent.

The big problem is that almost every place that is indoors (and a bunch that are outdoors, too) have no-draw policies.  About the only thing going is a once-a-week/month practical shooting match, which is not instruction but a timed contest against folks whose level of proficiency you probably do not know.  There are a few instructors a bit further out who have their own range/acces to a range where holster work can be done/trained.

Let me know if you need some names/contact info.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 04:43:46 PM »
I haven't used SET since the no-lead change, and never used their training. I shoot out by Winchester, and the range I use allows draw/shoot (and has a 400yd rifle range).  I'm sure you could find an instructor (see vaskidmark's post), and use that range.  PM me for which range, I don't post it up in open boards as they aren't crowded or populated by mall ninjas and I like it that way.  (though I'm sure others here already know of the place).

Also, peacekeeper should be opening soon...right?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 09:05:44 PM »
Thanks, gents.

I'll pass on the information to my FO. He lives southwest of Dulles, near the epicenter of yesterday's earthquake, so if there are better options out there please speak up.