Author Topic: Yet another angle to attack guns from  (Read 1656 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Yet another angle to attack guns from
« on: February 03, 2013, 10:05:34 AM »
NRA-backed federal limits on gun lawsuits frustrate victims, their attorneys

So what's their point?  Bringers of nuisance lawsuits should be frustrated.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/nra-backed-federal-limits-on-gun-lawsuits-frustrate-victims-their-attorneys/2013/01/31/a4f101da-69b3-11e2-95b3-272d604a10a3_story.html
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Yet another angle to attack guns from
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »
Here we go once again!

Start suing auto manufacturers and their parts suppliers every time someone get killed by a drubk driver and see how fast laws are passed to protect them.

No gun ever built was ever designed to kill anybody or anything.  It was designed to expell a projectile in such a manner as to afford the greatest precision regarding where that projectile landed.  The person using the gun decided how that projectile would be used.  But most shooters have very shallow pockets and most heirs/assigns of the dead person want money and someone/something to blame.  The money part is easy to understand.  The need for something to blame is a bit harder, but very basically comes down to the issue of personal responsibility also applying to the victim, the heirs/assigns, and society as a whole vs. shifting blame to an inanimate object.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »
A very similar sort of liability protection is largely responsible for the survival of the American light aircraft manufacturing base.  Before Congress passed that law, Cessna, Piper, Beechcraft, etc. were getting sued out of existence for product liability claims.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »
sued out of existence for product liability claims.

And there's the angle.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 01:30:17 PM »
sued out of existence for product liability claims.

And there's the angle.

Exactly like the Blitz Gas Can company.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 03:53:36 PM »
I am normally very skeptical of tort reform, but protecting the marginally profitable firearms industry from nuisance suits is REASONABLE.  Unless a gun is defective or unreasonable dangerous in some way, they should not be liable for the criminal misuse of one of their products.  This is something that is generally accepted in torts.  I suppose if a manufacturer made a gun and marketed and sold it to mental patients, criminals, and low lifes, they may have a case.

I am genuinely sorry for the family members of the victims, but the only party responsible is dead.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 04:07:08 PM »
I suppose if a manufacturer made a gun and marketed and sold it to mental patients, criminals, and low lifes, they may have a case.

The Judge?  ;)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 07:16:47 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge