Author Topic: not qualified to judge  (Read 1661 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
Given the talk of "limits" mandated by the administration, I'm inclined to say fall guy

But there's not enough info
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: not qualified to judge
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:27:48 PM »
that was my gut feeling based on knowledge of how organizations work.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:52:44 PM »
I'll go with fall guy.

It was my experience that after any "incident" in the military the first order of business is always placement of blame.
What happened, why it happened, how to prevent it from happening again are all irrelevant if blame can be placed in the "right place".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 08:34:40 PM »
Heads on down to the Corporal of the Guard should also roll.  But they probably will not.

Yes, the Commander is the only one who is responsible.  He can delegate his authority, but never his responsibility.  But all those below him apparently also failed in their jobs of carrying out the Commander's order - which probably went something like "Don't let our assets get *expletive deleted"'d up.  The two star issues the order.  The one star tells the colonel who tells the lieutenant colonel who tells the major who tells the captain who tells the 1st lieutenant who tells the second lieutenant who tells the first sergeant who tells the gunny who tells the staff  sergeant who tells the sergeant who tells the corporal who tells the lance corporal and ptivates (first class and plain).  Every one of them, both on the way down and on the way back up, needs to check to see that their assignment is being carried out and to report any problems to the next higher level.

Insurgents do not get inside the wire and destroy that much "stuff" without someone having failed to ensure that their assignment was carried out.

Based on absolutely no information whatsoever, I'm going to guess the breakdown took place somewhere bewtween the colonel and the major.  And that it probably involves the same sort of thinking that allowed air assets at Hickham Field to be destroyed so easily in 1941 - dispersal is messy and takes more troops to guard the dispersed assets.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »
The current Commandant is a *expletive deleted*che and he's been axing a lot of people.

Of course, he is trying to arm the ODO's on all bases at a minimum.  That's a start in one right direction.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 09:06:13 AM »
Head in another aritcle the Tongans used for guards were sleeping and such and going a pretty poor job.  And it was apparently common knowledge to just about everyone, but no steps were taken to fix it.  Not sure if the commanders had the freedom to make a change or not. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 04:16:53 PM »
Head in another aritcle the Tongans used for guards were sleeping and such and going a pretty poor job.  And it was apparently common knowledge to just about everyone, but no steps were taken to fix it.  Not sure if the commanders had the freedom to make a change or not. 

Are you seriously trying to suggest that the local commander could not set up an internal guard/reaction force/firewatch?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 12:25:34 AM »
Are you seriously trying to suggest that the local commander could not set up an internal guard/reaction force/firewatch?

stay safe.

Yep.  The planes were on the British side of the base.  Jurisdiction and all that.   The Brits were allowing/using the Tongan's as guards.  The Tongans failed.  But yes, the commander(s)* could have and should have done more. 

*Generally there is a base commander.  Depending on the size of the base may or may not be the same as the commander of the troops there, especially if the troop unit is merely "passing through".
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.