Author Topic: Who is our resident GPS expert?  (Read 8048 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Who is our resident GPS expert?
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 05:51:06 PM »
As long as we keep the provision for our DOD to frag non friendly GPS in any AO we choose.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 06:07:53 PM »
Yeah, turning SA back on was my first thought as well.  You're gonna nerf every consumer-model GPS made since the Clinton days, though.

And all the FCC-compliant cell phones as well. You want to be the politician that tells all your constituents they're going to need to replace their iPhones?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 06:23:25 PM »
And all the FCC-compliant cell phones as well. You want to be the politician that tells all your constituents they're going to need to replace their iPhones?

Not necessarily, civilian GPS receivers Only get the C/A code and rely on WAAS to obtain good precision.  I'm suggesting (if one went down this route), now that the M code exists, which makes the P(Y) code semi-redundant for military use, is reserve M code for military, sell the P(Y), and re-implement (after say 5 years) SA on all the C/A transmissions--that way old devices would still function, however, any new devices would require the new code.  The 5 year horizon would capture virtually the entire civilian market, and it wouldn't impact security or military use (as the M code is completely separate from the P(Y) and C/A codes.

That way, anyone who gets the upgrade actually gets an improvement (since P(Y) plus WAAS is better than C/A plus WAAS), while older receivers would still function.

Anyway, there are many ways to do it.

Note, I'm not suggesting we DO this, only engaging in an intellectual discussion as to how it could be done.