Main Forums > The Roundtable

So wrong!

(1/3) > >>

Unisaw:
Have you heard of the "designer dog" fad?  Today's WSJ Online had a feature story about them complete with a photo gallery (registration required).  One cross-breeding is just so wrong: the doodleman, a cross between a doberman and a poodle:

erik the bold:
Yikes!!  The only one I've seen before was a Labradoodle, cross between standard poodle and labrador retriever.  I think they started in Australia.

bratch:
There are Jack Rats which cross rat terriors and Jack Russel Terriors.

Border Jacks which cross border collies and Jack Russel terriors for one of the dog games.

People are also mixing Australian Shepards and Border Collies to get the desirable traits of each.

I believe the Labradoodles are nonallegenic as well.

Azrael256:
Purebreed dogs these days are so incredibly messed up that a little shakeup in the gene mix has got to be a good thing.  I agree that it's a weird looking dog, but it probably has a better genetic makeup than mom or dad.  We had a registered beagle who had no problems, but our pure lab had that weird nerve condition labs seem to get where they think their front legs are chew toys.

I happen to like schnoodles, myself.  They aren't particularly attractive dogs, but the one I met was a whole lot of fun.

Gewehr98:
I agree, a little genetic diversity in those inbred AKC bloodlines is a good thing.

This is a Saint Bernard/Catahoula Curr Hound mix, a total accident, but he looks like an oversized Border Collie at 100 pounds.  BernDoggie's also my best buddy:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version